ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:31 pm 

Okay, so i have been reading some other posts here in the nutrition section and to be honest, am thoroughly confused (more on that later).

I do have one simple question. For the slow-digesting-protein sources, how soon BEFORE my workout shoudl i eat them in order to time them for digestion shortly after my workouts?

I refuse to get protein from any source other than real food and so any advice here would much appreciated.

Cheers,
Hoister

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

most protien powders are derived from "real" foods
whey the protien powder that is most discussed comes from milk.

all foods digest at different speeds
i wouold say 1-1/12 hours for a light meal 2-4 for a heavier

why do you refuse?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:07 pm 

I refuse due to the $ they want for the stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:27 am 
Novice
Novice

YOU CAN GET A DECENT PROTIEN POWDER FOR RELATIVELY CHEAP

WHEN YOU FIRST WENT TO THE GYM AND LIFTED WEIGHTS THE NEXT DAY I IMAGINE YOUR MUSCLES FELT LIKE THEY WERE ROLLED OVER BY A TRUCK, BUT YOU STILL GO....THE AVERAGE PERSON QUITS.
THAT PAIN IS THE PRICE WE PAY...EVEN COME TO LOVE
SAME IS TRUE WITH $$ FOR SUPPLEMENTS OR PROTIEN POWDER, ITS WHAT WE DO TO REACH OUR GOALS.
IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT REACHING YOUR GOALS-WHATEVER THEY MAY BE-THEN THE PRICE FOR PROTIEN POWDER IS A NECESSARY EVIL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:11 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

if your increasing your weight i.e bulking up and you take the right amount of protein then you will find that the money you spend on "real food" amounts to around the same as what you would spend on protein plus meals - dont let the lump sum put you off, it's not as if you eat it all in one go....

Well, it is in the UK. Here, it is difficult to get a meal with more than 15g of protein in it, you need to make it yourself if you want that. My experience of USA has been opposite though, I loved it, was in Miami and it felt like protein city :-) If i lived there I would supplement less because I would get more protein in my meals.

Even if it is more expensive, the convenience factor makes it a bargain, in my opinion.

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:27 am 

Thanks for the responses. I was just curious. But i may adjust my eating schedule to coincide with your advice - just to see what happens. Cheers.

As for your take on supplementing with powders, i don't agree, but i don't disagree either.

My goals (and they have changed over the years) have always been met WITHOUT supplementing. For me, the price I've had to pay is hard work. FIrst of all, i am not a body builder and thus there is no "bulking" phase to my training regiment. However, as i am in my 30's and like to eat, i have found that i "bulk-up" very easily - whether i want to or not! ;)

In the past i have always set up my diet and routine to blend heavy-lifting/lower-volume/little-to-no-cardio programs with lighter-lifting/higher-volume/more-cardio-programs to maintain the midsection we all battle, while making the strength and conitioning gains i am after.

I've found that by adjusting my routine, i can ALWAYS eat like a pig (healthy food only). The common denominator always being the hard work in the gym. The focus changes, yes, but the results are always there.

Again - i don't knock supplements, i just don't think they are right for me and the price can not be justified. I did the research and the math and have proven to myself that i can get the same amount if not more protein through real foods for a FRACTION of the cost of powders.

As for convenience - it don't get no more convenient than tuna shakes!

Just my $0.02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:47 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Hoister. That reference to Tuna shakes was pretty cool. I can remember back in the day there was an article about Paul Anderson eating a couple of raw meat shakes a day. Just toss in some beef into a blender with some type of liquid of choice and let er rip. Paul was the US counterpart of Canada's Doug Hepburn.
Pretty much in the same timeframe as well.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:32 pm 

Tim,

Yeah i am familiar with that Anderson story and the many other stories about his strength achievements. He was one helluva squatter - he was one amazing lifter. Hepburn is one of my heroes as well - i have a mpeg of him power cleaning and STRICT pressing 380lb. He then lowers it under control to his chest and then to his waist and THEN drops it to the platform. I never get bored of watching that video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:12 am 

Hey Hoister. A little add on for both of them. They were both Olympic champs in OL, which seems a bit odd, but you have to remember, the clean and press was then an O lift.and while they weren't quick, these guys could use pure strength moves to their advantage. I know Paul is known here in America as being one of the founders of PL, and from what I;ve read, Mr. Hepburn is considered one of the founders of PL in Canada. Says a lot for crossover lifters