ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:51 pm 
former lurker

I have been playing baseball my whole life, and as of the past year i have had a severe mental block when i throw the ball. It has gotten to the point where I feel uncomfortable when I hold the ball. Sometimes, when i think about throwing it, my right hand actually feels week, like i have no control over it. I have no problem throwing long distances, but if i have to throw anywhere smaller than 20 feet I cannot do it. As i said, this is something i have done literally my whole life, and i do not understand how it got to this point. I recently got a job teaching little kids baseball, and this is obviously something that I am having trouble dealing with. It probably doesn't help that I am the only female teacher, and feel like i constantly have to prove myself out on the field. any and all help or advice to get me out of this rut would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:36 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have found visualization works wonders. But not the typical "oh I just thought about it." I'm talking about REALLY visualizing the scene.

Take in all five senses when you are visualizing yourself making the throw. Smell the air, have the touch of the ball in your hand, see yourself making the perfect throw, hear all the ambient sounds around you. But most of all, FEEL how you would feel when you complete it. Don't think about the process. Just think about the start and the end.

I dunno. I fell into a rut in my free-throw shooting in basketball and this helped me fix that.