Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Milk + Low Carb Diet?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:47 am 
Novice
Novice

Hey everyone!
I decided to try a Keto Diet. I was just wondering if it would be okay to consume milk. I am in college and it seems very hard to get a wide variety of food readily. I was thinking I could use milk as a pre/post workout meal, but not too sure if that would just me detrimental.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:15 am 

It depends how strict you're being, if everything else you eat has minimal carbs it shouldn't be a problem if you keep it under a pint a day really, I drink milk on a low carb diet. In a few months I'm gonna buy lactose free milk to cut down even more on carbs because I can drink pints of the stuff. I don't know what the difference in flavour would be but I think it's definitely worth it for the protein and fat content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:02 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

There's not that much difference in lactose free milk. I happen to have a carton of 2% lactose free and a carton of whole milk in the fridge right now. The lactose free has 8g carbs/serving vs 12g carbs/serving for the whole milk.

To remove the lactose, they add lactase which converts the lactose into two other types of sugar but it doesn't reduce the sugar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:16 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

What would be better for post workout, (milk wise)?

Chocolate milk? Or could I just drink whole milk, before during and after the workout?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:30 pm 

Hmm interesting, I might just stick with whole milk then, can't beat the taste of it! I always thought they removed the lactose completely but I suppose it's designed for lactose intolerant people so they just breakdown the lactose before it reaches the gut, leaving the same monosaccharides in as milk.

Post workout? Wouldn't you want a protein and carb shake with water for quicker absorption? I normally have whey, dextrose and creatine with water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:50 pm 

Reports suggest that Chocolate Milk is almost as good as designer drinks. I don't think they tested white milk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:23 am 

I've been drinking whole milk post workout. It's more because it's cheaper and easier than the shakes I normally buy than anything else. However, i've not really noticed any difference. Sometimes I have it pre workout, too, again for the same reason. Normally I can get free shakes from the gym, though, which have about 500 calories in them and I just drink them throughout the workout, then milk afterwards. There's a supermarket across from our gym so we walk over and get milk.

There's also a Burger King (and KFC) across from the gym. Last week I treated my beginners to a post workout "Triple Cheese Double Angus" burger. You don't get much better nutritional guidance than that :lol:

KPj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:40 am 
n00b
n00b

I'm not so sure that there is any nutritional content at all in anything from burger king, but whatever works for you. I do however agree with you on the milk, as apposed to expensive shakes. I drink milk pre and post workout. My body really appreciates the fat and protein content. I am ok with the carbs also. I pretty much eat a low carb diet everywhere else across the board, so I do alright in that area.

Regards,
George

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:53 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

"I'm not so sure that there is any nutritional content at all in anything from burger king"

"My body really appreciates the fat and protein content"

:roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:38 am 

RobertB wrote:
"I'm not so sure that there is any nutritional content at all in anything from burger king"

My favorite BK meal: 2 x double cheese burgers, throw out one bun and stack them. Of course it has to be when they're the meal of the day.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:19 am 

stuward wrote:
RobertB wrote:

My favorite BK meal: 2 x double cheese burgers, throw out one bun and stack them. Of course it has to be when they're the meal of the day.

mmm that's how millionaires live

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

Stacked double cheese works with mcdonalds too - I have been thinking about buying 2 double cheese burgers and a quarter pounder.

Then you take the quarter pounder as a base and separate the double cheese burgers and lay them out so they cover the entire surface area of the quarterpounder with a nexus of beef in the middle

fv(k i am so doing that next time i go. Typing it out makes it even more real

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:11 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Hardee's low carb burger. They throw the bun away for you.
1/3 lb.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My meal at BK is a triple Whopper with cheese, no bun, no ketchup.

At Hardees I get the double low carb thick burger, no ketchup.

At McDonalds, it's two double quarter pounders with cheese, no bun no kethchup, Wendy's is two baconator doubles, no bun, or just one and a classic double no bun, no ketchup. Jack in the box there are many choices, 4 jumbo jacks, any of the breakfast stuff without the bread, grilled chicken strips.......

There are lots of ways to eat out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:23 am 

how do you pick it up if there's no bun?