ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:35 pm 
n00b
n00b

Firstly sorry, for my first post being a "self-promoting spam"

I've set up a webby where people can post news, vote on content, edit content (product descriptions) wiki-style, share their own stories and so on. It's basically a digg/reddit/wiki clone, but focusing on a specific niche - bodybuilding, steroids etc.

Ohnestly, there is loads of good info and knowledgeable posters here at exrx, feels a bit weird asking, but i'm looking to get some people to help me update it, and keep it busy (i'm still debating over a revenue sharing model... for authors).

Anyways thats the basic structure of the site:
url = eroids.com (or st.eroids.com)
TheFront section = news, and intersting stuff found on webs.
Share! = User submitted stories/experience.
Products = wiki-like (anyone registered can edit) product descriptions
Galleries = well, pics..
Providers = Supposed to be a list of online providers, not sure about this one, might take it down...

Feel free to check it out, vote, submit, edit... if you can be bothered.
anon commenting/voting is enabled for now, and Facebook Connect works...

and again, sorry for the shameless self-promotion.

Last edited by BFG on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:38 pm 
n00b
n00b

Forgot to mention, i'd appreciate any feedback on the site. Not so much about the visual design itself (there isnt any anyways :p ) but more on usability, and ease of use. thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:40 am 
n00b
n00b

anyone? :eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:13 am 

Most people here don't care much for steroid use so that's probably why you aren't getting much discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:03 pm 
n00b
n00b

stuward wrote:
Most people here don't care much for steroid use so that's probably why you aren't getting much discussion.

I crashed the wrong party? :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:25 pm 

I'd say so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:56 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

There isn't a lot of interest in AAS here. I was debating deleting the post altogether, but it was in the lounge, an off topic thing, so left it up in case there was some interest.
Tim (Mod/Admin)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:14 pm 
n00b
n00b

I'm surprised to see how wrong i came out.
This webby is not about AAS in particular, it's about user-edited content on bodybuilding, powerlifgint, fitness news and yes steroids too - but not exclusively, and a place with a sense of community. At least that's how i see it.

Delete the post if you feel you must, but don't ban me hehe, i'd like to lurk around, some of the stuff written here is gold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:23 am 

First off, BFG if that is reall you in the picture, MODS DON"T DELETE!!!

http://st.eroids.com/images/me-morning?size=_original

Okay, back on topic. The site at first glance doesn't seem very informative. I get worried when people start taking medical advice about illegal drugs on the internet. Keep in mind, I have nothing against steroids. To me it is just the like the difference of someone using nitrous in their care for extra speed. If you choose to use steroids, even illegally, you need to make damn sure that you let your doctor know. I don't know what else to say other than it just appears to be a site dedicated to steroid use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:37 pm 
n00b
n00b

hoosegow wrote:
First off, BFG if that is reall you in the picture, MODS DON"T DELETE!!!

http://st.eroids.com/images/me-morning?size=_original
hehe, no i'm sorry, thats not me :) I go by "BFG" on that site.

hoosegow wrote:
I get worried when people start taking medical advice about illegal drugs on the internet.

In my experience, doctors really don't know $h1t about the subject!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:42 pm 

Yes, most doctors are ignorant on the subject. However, there are medical risks associated with steroids. You will want to have some tests run on a routine basis. Regardless of what a doctor does and does not know about steroids, they can at least monitor how close you are to putting yourself in danger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I haven't seen anyone admitting to current steroid use. But I'm sure there is a closet user or two. Plus there are many times more people who read but don't post. So there may be some visitors who would be interested in your site.

Steroids are something that require extensive research. If you follow the general guidelines you should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:03 am 

Does anyone here really know the legalities of anabolic steroids?

In general, if a drug is marketed in the US, regardless of the purpose for which the FDA approves it, doctors are free to legally prescribe it, and pharmacists sell it for any purpose the doctor sees fit. The DEA has a list of "scheduled" drugs that have particular dangers of abuse that can only be prescribed by specially-licensed doctors (although it is not all that hard to be licensed, and most practicing doctors are licensed to prescribe up to Schedule ll drugs, the second-highest possible restriction), but again, they can prescribe those drugs according to their own discretion.

In order to sell any drug, a manufacturer has to prove to the FDA (and the standards of proof are quite high) that the drug is safe and effective for at least 1 indication. The company can only promote a drug for an "approved" indication, but a licensed doctor may prescribe any drug for any indication that they see fit to, according to their own knowledge and judgment.

So, does anyone know if anabolics are DEA-scheduled, or of any other legal restrictions on their prescribing by a doctor? I've often wondered why there aren't doctors who openly prescribe them for body builders. Although I'd never do it, I don't see that such prescribing would be any worse than doing purely cosmetic surgery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:40 am 

Steroids are a DEA Schedule III drug. I think you can lose your medical license if you prescribe them for anything other than therapautic use. In other words if you prescribed Deca to me without any tests showing I have low testosterone you could be in trouble.

Quote:
I don't see that such prescribing would be any worse than doing purely cosmetic surgery.

I'm with you 100% with this. Though I'd never take steroids for pure cosmetic or ego reasons (yes I am lying through my teeth - I sure as hell would take it if it was legal), I don't see anything wrong with it. I'll go one step beyond the whole cosmetic surgery issue. Why in the hell is female hormones okay and male hormones bad?

FWIW, I found a pretty good website with articles that include references on this. It is similar in name to the one mentioned above but looks more complete.

http://www.steroid.com

Obviously it is a supplement/steroid website but it looks like it has some good information. I got to watching the video - Injected. I was surprised that the owner of this site is also the owner of http://www.steroidabuse.com

I keep watching the videos. There is some really good information there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:51 am 

Doc and Hoose, can't answer your question directly, I don't know, but what Doc is talking about, i.e. getting a prescription, going back to the Doc for monitoring purposes, was pretty common in the 70's and 80's. There really weren't taboo's other than the ethics questions. It was pretty much legal and accepted. I don't remember exactly when, but the Feds did a crack down on it around the early 90's / late 80's.
Tim