ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:56 am 

push/pull is a type of split for workouts, ie. day one is push so bench press, squat etc. Day two is pull so row, dead lift etc.

a superset is doing two exercises that target two different muscles in a row with no rest in between
http://fitness.wikia.com/wiki/Using_Sup ... o_Burn_Fat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:39 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I do a bunch of stuff wrong, but I still gain(ed) muscle just fine.

-machines
-isolations
-6 days/week (lower/upper splits) lifting
-cardio
-boring, non-changing workout
-even dieting!

However, I did do legs, did go hard.

Actually I think just being consistent (not getting injured, not having misses, NOT* changing the routine) is what's needed. Also, that for those who are relatively untrained, any program (even one arguably non-optimal) will work.

*I disagree with the "shock the muscle" meme, arguing for changing exercise format a lot. My arms that have mastered 75# curls, get shocked just fine with 80# curls! By changing the form of the exercise a lot, it forces me to go light as I learn new movements, which are also time inefficient. In addition, it is hard to get motivated because progression is harder to measure. However, if an exercise is resulting in overuse injury or the like, definitely be ready to change it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:12 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Something I seen, some time, really struck a chord with me, something along the lines of,

"some people get results in spite of what they do, not because of what they do"

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:07 pm 

KPj wrote:
Something I seen, some time, really struck a chord with me, something along the lines of,

"some people get results in spite of what they do, not because of what they do"

KPj

ya, this article goes into public figures and their knowledge vs actual results due to genetics
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/trusting ... ppearance/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:41 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I feel a spam coming soon.......

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:55 am 
Necromancer
Necromancer

Ironman wrote:
I disagree. That's a good way to NOT put on muscle. I didn't do flexibility, dynamic anything, or any core or stretching stuff.
Maybe he advised that stuff so he could have a higher chance of avoiding injuries that might stall his progress or something?

Like obviously it's not absolutely necessary to do stuff like that to avoid getting injured since guys like you have succeeded without it, but some people could be more vulnerable to injuries and stuff due to predispositions, bad posture or lifestyle habits, or there could be other stuff you do or a good balance of exercises that people might not have which prevented it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:45 pm 

Here is one great article, for everything one lifter could want (strength, size, cutting...).
Quote:
...focusing on the eccentric, or negative, part of the rep. Take 1-3 seconds for the concentric (positive) part of the lift, but then lower it slowly, 2-4 seconds...
* Reps 8-12
* Rep speed Slow
* % of 1RM 70-80
* Fibers Fast
* Rest periods 1-2 minutes

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 pm 

tyciol wrote:
Ironman wrote:
I disagree. That's a good way to NOT put on muscle. I didn't do flexibility, dynamic anything, or any core or stretching stuff.
Maybe he advised that stuff so he could have a higher chance of avoiding injuries that might stall his progress or something?

Like obviously it's not absolutely necessary to do stuff like that to avoid getting injured since guys like you have succeeded without it, but some people could be more vulnerable to injuries and stuff due to predispositions, bad posture or lifestyle habits, or there could be other stuff you do or a good balance of exercises that people might not have which prevented it.
Do you have evidence to offer that any of those things prevent injuries?

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tyciol wrote:
Ironman wrote:

The main problem with this, is that the topic is building muscle. I said it won't help you build muscle, and you counter with something about preventing injuries. That doesn't make any sense. I didn't say anything one way or the other on injury prevention. I just said you don't build muscle like that. I haven't really see any evidence that any of that stuff prevents injuries, since we're on the topic.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

Ironman wrote:
By any chance do you skip leg exercises? Or do you do mostly isolation exercises or use a lot of machines?

Well don't do that! :smile: That is what the problem is. Please read the sticky with the collection of routines. You want something that uses mostly basic compound lifts hitting all parts of the body. So start with that first, and then ask questions from there if you need help.

Sorry wers de sticky m8?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:43 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3817

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:37 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

privatelabel wrote:
Nice suggestion regarding exercise

I need a link!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2