ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:56 am 
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:44 pm
Posts: 226
push/pull is a type of split for workouts, ie. day one is push so bench press, squat etc. Day two is pull so row, dead lift etc.

a superset is doing two exercises that target two different muscles in a row with no rest in between
http://fitness.wikia.com/wiki/Using_Sup ... o_Burn_Fat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:39 pm 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:44 am
Posts: 1122
I do a bunch of stuff wrong, but I still gain(ed) muscle just fine.

-machines
-isolations
-6 days/week (lower/upper splits) lifting
-cardio
-boring, non-changing workout
-even dieting!

However, I did do legs, did go hard.

Actually I think just being consistent (not getting injured, not having misses, NOT* changing the routine) is what's needed. Also, that for those who are relatively untrained, any program (even one arguably non-optimal) will work.


*I disagree with the "shock the muscle" meme, arguing for changing exercise format a lot. My arms that have mastered 75# curls, get shocked just fine with 80# curls! By changing the form of the exercise a lot, it forces me to go light as I learn new movements, which are also time inefficient. In addition, it is hard to get motivated because progression is harder to measure. However, if an exercise is resulting in overuse injury or the like, definitely be ready to change it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:12 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am
Posts: 3474
Something I seen, some time, really struck a chord with me, something along the lines of,

"some people get results in spite of what they do, not because of what they do"

KPj


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:07 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:44 pm
Posts: 226
KPj wrote:
Something I seen, some time, really struck a chord with me, something along the lines of,

"some people get results in spite of what they do, not because of what they do"

KPj


ya, this article goes into public figures and their knowledge vs actual results due to genetics
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/trusting ... ppearance/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:41 am 
Offline
Associate Member
Associate Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 1:47 pm
Posts: 458
Location: Nottinghamshire U.K.
I feel a spam coming soon.......


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:55 am 
Offline
Necromancer
Necromancer
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 11:00 am
Posts: 134
Location: Canada
Ironman wrote:
I disagree. That's a good way to NOT put on muscle. I didn't do flexibility, dynamic anything, or any core or stretching stuff.
Maybe he advised that stuff so he could have a higher chance of avoiding injuries that might stall his progress or something?

Like obviously it's not absolutely necessary to do stuff like that to avoid getting injured since guys like you have succeeded without it, but some people could be more vulnerable to injuries and stuff due to predispositions, bad posture or lifestyle habits, or there could be other stuff you do or a good balance of exercises that people might not have which prevented it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:45 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:18 pm
Posts: 202
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Here is one great article, for everything one lifter could want (strength, size, cutting...).
Quote:
...focusing on the eccentric, or negative, part of the rep. Take 1-3 seconds for the concentric (positive) part of the lift, but then lower it slowly, 2-4 seconds...
* Reps 8-12
* Rep speed Slow
* % of 1RM 70-80
* Fibers Fast
* Rest periods 1-2 minutes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7502
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
tyciol wrote:
Ironman wrote:
I disagree. That's a good way to NOT put on muscle. I didn't do flexibility, dynamic anything, or any core or stretching stuff.
Maybe he advised that stuff so he could have a higher chance of avoiding injuries that might stall his progress or something?

Like obviously it's not absolutely necessary to do stuff like that to avoid getting injured since guys like you have succeeded without it, but some people could be more vulnerable to injuries and stuff due to predispositions, bad posture or lifestyle habits, or there could be other stuff you do or a good balance of exercises that people might not have which prevented it.
Do you have evidence to offer that any of those things prevent injuries?

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:23 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am
Posts: 3984
tyciol wrote:
Ironman wrote:
I disagree. That's a good way to NOT put on muscle. I didn't do flexibility, dynamic anything, or any core or stretching stuff.
Maybe he advised that stuff so he could have a higher chance of avoiding injuries that might stall his progress or something?

Like obviously it's not absolutely necessary to do stuff like that to avoid getting injured since guys like you have succeeded without it, but some people could be more vulnerable to injuries and stuff due to predispositions, bad posture or lifestyle habits, or there could be other stuff you do or a good balance of exercises that people might not have which prevented it.



The main problem with this, is that the topic is building muscle. I said it won't help you build muscle, and you counter with something about preventing injuries. That doesn't make any sense. I didn't say anything one way or the other on injury prevention. I just said you don't build muscle like that. I haven't really see any evidence that any of that stuff prevents injuries, since we're on the topic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:41 pm 
Offline
Novice
Novice

Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:33 am
Posts: 97
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Ironman wrote:
By any chance do you skip leg exercises? Or do you do mostly isolation exercises or use a lot of machines?

Well don't do that! :smile: That is what the problem is. Please read the sticky with the collection of routines. You want something that uses mostly basic compound lifts hitting all parts of the body. So start with that first, and then ask questions from there if you need help.


Sorry wers de sticky m8?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:43 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 pm
Posts: 613
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3817


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:37 am 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
privatelabel wrote:
Nice suggestion regarding exercise


I need a link!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group