ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:51 am 
Novice
Novice

Does anyone know of any articles that discuss strength ratios and strength limitations, like if you can bench such amount you should be able to do such amount in another exercise? I came across this one http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459454 and found it to be an interesting read. Im actually looking forward to testing myself on the external rotations after reading it. Apparently you should be able to use a dumbell thats 9% of your close grip bench max for 8 strict reps. If you cant, it may be a significant reason your bench isnt going anywhere. The hockey player who was the subject of this article, found his close grip max go up 51 lbs without even doing the exercise for 12 weeks, just by focusing on achieving balance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:27 am 
Novice
Novice

Ouch...i failed miserably on the external rotator test, about 10 lbs and not to mention 2 reps short! On the bright side though i'll be curious to see if my bench strength goes up as i improve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:33 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

No idea what my ratio will be but I will try this as soon as I can.

Thanks for the article, I reckon it could help solve a shoulder issue i've been having, mentioned here http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=933

To go with that, I also hit a plateu with my bench press over the last couple of months. I had planned to take the bench press out of my routine for about 2 months then tackle it again, however, I will take it out and improve on my Rotator Cuff strength (which i'm sure will be weak at the moment), then re introduce the bench press and post the results :-)

thanks

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:11 am 
Novice
Novice

I have shoulder problems myself, but for whatever reason i never do any rotator stuff. But once i read it could hold your bench back...i'm on it!!

Curios to see how my left shoulder (the problem one) responds to this..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:20 am 

I've heard overhead presses can strenthen the rotator cuff, as well as being good for strength and muscle building.