ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:08 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Matt, endurance lifting can mean different things. Hoister and I think along the same lines, so just check out his workout logs for some good examples. It could be moderate reps for high weights, but in most cases, it's a fairly heavy weight, done in a time period, for max reps. An example of this is to take around an 85% weight or so, and set a time limit of 20 minutes. The goal, get at least 20 reps, at least 1 per minute, and shoot for 50. When you get 50, up the anty and start over It could also be a structe EDT thing. Example, clean and push press 10 sets of 2 with 70% going on the minute mark twice a week, and the third session, 10X 2 working up to a pr from 70%. Lots of variations.A good board which does this almost exlusively is
http://p069.ezboard.com/btheironworks
Another way might look like this
1 arm DB sn 5L +5R done for ten sets going on the minute mark
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:24 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

So you compete to see how many reps you can perform in a given time frame? I know some strongman events work that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:35 am 

Thats certainly a big part of it. Also, Hoister made a great post that I think Bryce is going to archive. It's in the "Progressive Pulls" thread over at the forum in the link I posted. Well worth reading, goes along with this theme.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:57 am 

what about the powerlifting variant with overhead pressing instead of benching? are we talking clean and press, push press, seated military press, etc.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:01 am 

Matt, it could be any variant you want it to be. The only thing i think that comes close to a "rule" is keep it a major compound or multicompound move. If you are into strongman, well it could be tire flipping, or rock or barrel lift and loads. It could be any 1 or 2 arm BB or DB major lift. Bench pressing fits in there quite nicely, as does any of the overheads. Your imagination is the only stopper. Here is a link to Bryce's homepage, with lots of articles , most on the strength -endurance lifting aspect, but on other topics as well. Look over "The 20 minute thing for those that want to have it all" under the DOIN ARTICLE section. It explains it quite nicely.
http://www.ironsports.tv
Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:59 am 

TimD's descriptions were bang on, but here is a competition a friend and i used to enter and had a hand in designing:

Pound for Pound Endurance lifting competition

All competitors regisiter and weigh-in. Then the 3-Rounds of events were chosen as follows:

Draw #1 – Lift/event definition:

-single lift (compound lifts only)
-2-lift combo/circuit
-3-lift combo/circuit
-Carry for distance (put downs allowed)

NOTES:
-Each lift was defined by rules (1-hand or 2-hand, execution, rules, etc)
-Combos and circuits selected such that you could move logically from one lift to the next in sequence, using a single implement and one setup
-Minimum weight to be used (as % of lifter's body weight)

Draw #2 – Competition type:

-timed reps for most consecutive timed reps - you had to complete the rep or defined distances between chimes that sounded every 15, 20, 30 or 60 seconds
-time limit for most reps (or most distance) - you had a single time period of 10, 15 or 20 minutes to complete as many reps OR cover as much distance in (with a defined minimum number of reps per minute or defined minimum distance per minute to avoid disqualification)

Draw #3 – Implement Type:

-barbell
-dumbell
-2 dumbells

Draw #4 – Weight selection:

Each lifter choses the weight he/she will use for the lift.

(Weight chosen is divided between dumbbells or divided in half for one dumbbell).

Scoring:

(1)Each round: Multiply Total reps (or distance) by weight used (as a % of your body weight) to find total point-score for each round
(2)Sum the score for all 3 rounds = total points

Scoring Example:
[R1 = 20 reps x 75% bwt] + [R2 = 12 reps x 50% bwt] + [R3 = 100 meters x 65% bwt]
= [R1 = 15pts] + [R2 = 6pts] + [R3 = 65pts]
=15+6+65 = 86 points total score

Highest score wins..
NO WEIGHT CLASSES (that’s why they call it a pound for pound weight challenge).

The last 2 times i competed, a 19 year old girl won it all! As i recall, she used at least 85% of her body weight on each event. This was in an event that included marathoners, sprinters, olympic and power lifters, strongmen, hockey players, you name it. I think she was a tennis player.

This was what i liked about this comp - it forced the competitors to be lean and mean. NO more 300 lb, beer gutted fat guys huffing and puffing allowed a la strongman. The stronger you are at a lower bodyweight, the better your chances were.

The most challenging part was the fact that you didn't know what you were going to be doing until you literally registered and wieghed in! This made/forced you to have to train with a very broad range of lifts, techniques, implements, etc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:11 am 

The powerlifting comps i competed in where the bench press was replaced by overhead presses used a standing overhead press.

You were allowed to use as much leg drive as you needed, but you had to PRESS-OUT the weight.

-you couldn't jerk the weight and drop underneath the bar to catch it. Your leg drive had to start in a squat and move in one direction to a knees-locked position.
-your feet had to be narrower than shoulder width and remain stationary and in full contact with the platform throughout the press. Unlike in the jerk, your feet could not change position (split front to back or sided to side) or leave the platform (toes and heels had to be fully planted through out). You had to lift bare-foot.
-you could lean as far back as you were comfortable.
-bar had to move upward in a single motion bottom to top in an even flow (no pressing one side then the other - bar had to be level and balanced throughout).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:55 am 

That's funny ..... When I do push presses I use relatively little leg drive, but my heels do leave the floor. I think I get more of an assist from my calves than I do from my quads. Also, I use a roughly shoulder width grip which allows me to stand very straight.