ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:51 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Scored a big fat zero. Well maybe a 1/2.

I have used gloves in the past, but technically they weren't mine. I wasn't the actual owner of the aforementioned gloves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:54 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm a zero. Hate the damn IPOD wearers. Especially when they are resting on the equipment between sets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:37 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Have you ever muttered the phrase “All you” at the end of a friends bench press set?

yup, something to indicate that my hand may be there but you know... "its all you" :) (1)

Gloves (2)

Whats wrong with gloves hehe - I dont want to split a callus, and helps me grip deads

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:55 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Gloves don't help your grip. They technically make the bar thicker and, one of the best ways to 'train your grip' is thick bar work.

Sure, when you're used to them, you just feel 'wrong' when you lift without them, so that's going to make it seem like they help in that regard. However, it makes no sense that a thicker bar is easier to grip. With gloves your hands may slip less as well but only if you don't use chalk when lifting without them...

I wore gloves the first couple of years I trained, btw, so I know how they can 'feel' like they help but honestly, they don't help with grip. I also found I still got calluses when wearing gloves, and the gloves would get torn up eventually, then I need to buy new ones. That might of been more down to the gloves I bought but, I don't really know.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:21 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Rippetoe acts like gloves murdered his family. Fine so they make the bar harder to grip. Why is that a bad thing? I could probably use the extra forearm work - been considering getting fatgripz even.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:10 am 

frogbyte wrote:
Rippetoe acts like gloves murdered his family. Fine so they make the bar harder to grip. Why is that a bad thing? I could probably use the extra forearm work - been considering getting fatgripz even.

Rip acts like anything outside of squats, bench, and DL murdered his family. If I didn't know any better, I would think he hasn't had a carb in like, years.

It doesn't need to be a bad thing but, 'helps my grip' is often touted as a 'good thing' with regards to lifting gloves. I'm just saying that it's not.

You're not deadlifitng to do 'grip work'. Grip work IS a side effect of deadlifting but, you're deadlifting to get a bigger deadlift, not be limited by your grip. Grip work is for grip work, ya know. Don't get me wrong, if grip is a limiting factor, then you may want to make it a priority and, in doing so, a thicker bar may be just what you need. Why stop there, though. Wrap a towel around it. Go crazy.

Why make the bar thicker when you can make the grip harder by just putting more weight on the bar? Worth a thought....

It's like what I say to BOSU fanatics - If something is more difficult, it doesn't mean it's instantly more beneficial. Squatting whilst standing on top of a stability ball is much harder than squatting on mere ground. However, we all know which one is 'more beneficial'.

As you know, I love Fat Gripz so, i'm not trying to talk down grip work. You wouldn't regret getting Fat Gripz. BTW, I dread to think what it would be like deadlifting with Fat Gripz.

KPj

p.s I'm deloading this week anyway. On friday, I'm going to do all my deadlifts with fat gripz on the bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:53 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I suspect I could deadlift with fatgripz just fine. Grip is no where close to being a limiting factor for me on deadlifts. I think glutes is the weakest part of the chain in that position.

I don't think gloves make the bar easier to grip, but they keep the sharp knurl of the bar from destroying my hands, so I see no downside really. (I know Rip says you should file it down if its too sharp, but it's not my bar. And I know Rip says if that's a problem find a new gym. Gah! Damn you, Rip.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:01 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I think its because I havent done a manual job my entire life, I'm an office geek :)

perhaps time for some chalk, seen a post somewhere (here probably, or the starting strength wiki) that said 1: get chalk 2: get chalk 3: why havent you got chalk yet :)

I will have the piss taken out of me for using it, giving off the impression that im about to dead 500lbs - then picking up 240 :) but im not one for a random bit of pride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:20 am 

I'm an office geek too. Hopefully not for much longer.

In terms of 'real jobs' I've never had anything 'manual'. I have done manual 'stuff', though. When I was a student I done anything. Cutting hedges, digging up gardens, painting, smashing things up and putting them in skips - just odd things for people I knew for extra cash but nothing permanent. I've bought-and-sold a house, which was probably one of my most 'manual' phases. It needed everything done to it. I still worked in an office at this time but, I needed something to keep me amused whilst I was injured and couldn't train. Actually if I didn't have a house to fix up, I probably would of been out for 3-4 months and not about 9 months (kept re injuring it).

Anyway, i'm rambling. Too much coffee today. Your hands toughen up from it. They only get to a certain point then stop getting worse.

Frogbyte - You probably don't realise just how thick the bar will be once you've put Fata Gripz on. Don't get me wrong though - if it doesn't make any difference then all credit to you.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:18 pm 

When I started using chalk my calluses got smaller, then stabilized. I haven't had to sand them down for months. My grip doesn't limit my DL either, but that's just because my DL is still a weak lift. I wish I could lift what I can't hold. No, that doesn't make sense.

I use a symmetric hook grip (with chalk), BTW, and haven't come close to dropping a dead for a long time. I used to use non-hook alternating grip, and had to resort to straps for my heavier pulls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:09 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

[quote="KPj
p.s I'm deloading this week anyway. On friday, I'm going to do all my deadlifts with fat gripz on the bar.[/quote]

I tried this a couple weeks ago. I found it much more difficult than a 2" axle even! Not only is the bar fatter, it will roll on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:58 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I scored 1.

I really sweat do sweat a $h1t when I'm in the gym. If I don't use lifting gloves, my palms will be wet and slippery and ruin my grip.

EDIT:

After reading the posts, I guess I should be buying chalk instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:10 am 

Jason Nunn wrote:
I tried this a couple weeks ago. I found it much more difficult than a 2" axle even! Not only is the bar fatter, it will roll on you.

I tried it. Couldn't even get one clean rep with ~40% of my max. I did go double over hand, though, and my max was with an alternate grip. It was brutal. Good fun though :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:04 am 

I don't know what to say, I love my Ipod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:04 am 

Wow apparently I'm the biggest gym geek- I got a 3. Gloves, IPOD, and back in the day I used to be convinced running was good enough for my legs. Now I sort of feel like a born again religious person or something, who feels I need to help those who think this way and neglect squatting or deadlifting, or more importantly, if they neglect both. I don't see anything wrong with an IPOD tho- music gets ya pumped.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next