ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PeterP's Feedback
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:35 pm 
Novice
Novice

If you have any comments on my health journal or its contents. Put them here.

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:42 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Pete, read your log today. Looks like a pretty good plan, but a few comments. I've done the 50/20 thing many times, but when using the upper body alone, it's usually a good thing to alternate opposing uper moves in the 20 mins, like bench and row, chins and dips, and on the following day pick squats or deads (or snatch and clean). Your setup will work just fine, but jus a bit off the norm. I don't know if you have hip/leg/lower back issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:05 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the feedback, I was about to ask people what they thought of it. Let me make sure I understand your comment. I don't have any injuries or "issues" as of yet to worry about.

So are you saying do BOTH chins and dips during the 20 mins? (or bench presses AND bent over rows )

Are you suggesting a schedule like this?
M: deadlift
T: bench press and bent over rows
Wed: rest
Thurs: squat
Fri: Chin ups and dips
Sat: bench press and bent over rows
Sun: rest

After writing this out I see bent over rows the day after chin ups and I'm wondering if that's a problem because of similar muscles. The kind of bent over rows I'm talking about are with the upper arm as close to the body as possible and bringing the weight up to the hip.

Any suggestions? I've been doing my push/pull workouts 3 times a week for a couple months now and I was wanting a change just for something new. I'm not too worried about "progress" at this point because I'm still trying to lose fat ... I'm not eating enough to expect big strength increases. But in general I like the idea of focusing on just a few core exercises and I want to try that for awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:41 am 

Hi Peter. Well, I was referring to Bryce's article and examples, which lind of go along the lines of upper body stuff on two days, squats, deads or pulls on two days. Getting the total body done. I'vedone the dip/chin thing on mon/Thurs with squats on Tues/Fri, or you could do BP/Rows on Mon/Thurs with Deads on Tues/Fri And yes, When I did it I would belt out a few dips, catch my breath if needed, then belt out a few chins, catch my breath as necessary, repeat, and take a count at the end of twenty minutes Your idea of combining both examples though looks terribly interesting. Mon DL, Tues BP and Row, Thurs Sq, Fri dip and chin, but I'd leave Sat alone except for some less strenous work. Also, might want to put the upperbody days on Mon and Thurs, with the lower stuff on Tues Fri for recup purposes
Bryce gives many examples in the article, but the one I like best was DB clean and pushpress on one day, BB front squat on the other, but that's just me, I'm more into the overhead stuff. Your options look fine. For fat loss, it should be good, I know i leaned out a lot, but kept a close eye on my diet, and followed the sessions with some metcon type stuff like you'd find over at crossfit. Tis type of program should work well for you. Good training.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:18 pm 
Novice
Novice

Ok, here's the current draft of the strength routine:

M: Benchpress and row
T: Deadlift
Wed: rest
Thurs: dip and chin
Fri: Squat
Sat: rest
Sun: rest

I'll probably start with 140 lbs. for squat and deadlift, 90 pounds for bench press and 45 lbs. for one arm bent over rows.

Everything will be done with dumbbells. I'll go for max reps in 20 minutes with good form and report that in my journal. I'll change the weight if I'm below 25 or above 50 reps on an exercise.

Any final comments? I'm excited to try this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:06 pm 

Looks pretty darn decent Peter. I hadn't thought of combining like that until you mentioned it, even though Bryce has written about it before. Should work great. lot's of basic compound moves, whole body stuff. Combined with a good diet, you should lean out a bit, plus get over all stronger, not to mention conditioning. Good training.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:17 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks Tim. I'll be away the first half of next week so I'll try it starting next Thurs. I appreciate your help with tweaking it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:05 pm 

B-Squats are back squats?

If so, how do you distinguish between a front squat and a back squat with a dumbbell? You have it between your legs yes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:20 pm 

Ryan, a B-Squat is one that Bryce Lane writes about. It's a squat, front, back, overhead, with DB's either down or on shoulders. It describe the stance. It's semi-staggered. I have arthritc and other issues in my right hip, and it's the only way I can squat these days without killing my hip and lower back, though still not to what I used to. Here's the link with descriptions and pix.
http://www.ironsports.tv/bsquat.html
I've been using this stance for over 6 years now, long before Bryce wrote about it. Probably because when I started out, in the early 60's, splitting was the progression from the power clean, and I know it well. My right leg is now and inch and a half shorter now than my left, and even with correcive shoes, it started putting undue pressure on my right hip and lower back, and staggered is good for me. Besides that, early on, when we jerked out of the racks, it "felt" natural.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:58 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yes, Tim has the correct idea of what I was doing. I found it from one of his journal posts and thought I'd try it. I was in a hurry at the time so I couldn't explain it ... I'll go edit that post and clear it up.