ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: not going anywhere
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:10 pm 
former lurker

OK, So.. I have lost a little weight over the past few years (wich I've been trying to do) and I only have about 5 more pounds to go until I'm where I'd like to be. I walk briskly every day for about 45 minutes or more. I eat pretty healthy and I hardly ever go over my "daily allowence" of calories, and if I do go over.. it's never by much. I have been doing this for a few months now and my weight hasn't changed a bit. What am I doing wrong? What can I be doing different to shed these last few lbs?
..and if it helps, I'm 5'8'' 128lbs, female and I usally have between 1200 and 1400 calories per day and I'm 21 years old.
Any one have any idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

Do you know your % body fat? Is it in a healthy range? IMO the "desirable" women shown in the mass media today have such a low % body fat that it has crossed over into the unhealthy range.

Have you tried any strength training which will increase your metabolism?

I don't know the answers ... but those are the first thoughts that come to mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:24 pm 
Novice
Novice

Only thing i can recommend is to start some weight training. Even if its just a small routine with a set of dumbells that lasts 25-30 minutes 3 times a week. Now i know the typical female response to that is .."but i dont want to get all big and muscular!!" Dont worry, that wont happen! (unless you seriously pursued that as a goal) But itll definitely aid in fat burning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:06 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

remember the weight scale means nothing its how u feel inside but yeah like some said strength training is good for burning fat the more muscle u have the more calories u burn 1lb of muscle burns 30-50 calories. Also cardio is good u should try some hitt 1 min high intensity followed by 1 min low intensity for 15 mins and diet is most important some protein like eggs, tuna, cottage cheese,beef,chicken, fish some carbs like fruits, vegetables, whole wheat product if u been losing weight before and u trying to lose more its hard to lose the last few pounds. Your calories look a little low to be honest most people cut calories to much just eat 5-6 meals a day dont forget to eat breakfast most important meal and drink lots of water. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:55 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Chelley. All the info you've been given is good. However, I'm going to turn this into a different direction. You say you "eat healthy", but have given no description on what that is. You can ask 10 different guru's and they will give you 10 different answers. I like thinking in generalities, rather than on specific "diet plans". True, calories do count, it's a matter of physics, but so do the biochemical aspects of those calories.
Here are a few articles you may want to think about and compare to what you are considering healthy. Also read the nutrition secton on this site.
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... habits.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... ting_2.htm
Let us know how you what your diet looks like, and we can go from there with diet and exercise advice. Adding some weight training to your walking and diet will really benefit you.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:04 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

5'8" and 128 lbs doesn't sound overweight to me, but good luck. Just don't overdo it. Peter is right about women in the media. Many young stars today are way too skinny.

Also, I've noticed a widening gap between the celebrities many young women want to emulate (Misca Barton, Linsay Lohan, etc) and the celebs most guys actually find attractive (Scarlet Johansen, Jessica Alba, Selma Hyack, etc). I guess straight guys just don't read fassion magazines. Who'da thunk it.

Of course, I shouldn't assume that your trying to lose weight for looks. You could be dieting for a sport, in which case the same general guidelines apply, since dropping too much weight will hurt athletic performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What a lot of those women don't understand, is you have to have some muscle mass to look good with the very low body fat. Otherwise you look like you're trying for the part of conentration camp victim in the next world war 2 movie.

I agree with some of those celebs not looking good. They don't have any curves. They look like 10 year old boys to me, which I don't find attractive at all. A woman's shape needs to go in and out at all the right places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:00 pm 

5'8 - 128? Sounds pretty tasty to me. I'm on board. I like a women with some junk in the trunk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I must say junk in the trunk is my thing for sure. I love it.