ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:08 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Looks like those hit the upper traps more eccentrically? One benefit of more upper trap development does occur to me - might help with neck stability/safety...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TimD wrote:
John, I would recommend what Starr calls "power shrugs". They're a dynamic movement used by O lifters to power ize their final pull. It's a short range movement, done explosively. Use either/or/or rotate/ between a clean and snatch grip. Start with a bar in the rack (or can be done from the hang) at just above knee level. Drive the hips into it, and kick/shrug. No need to consciously bend the arms, they will bend just due to bar momentum. With a snatch grip the bar should travel past the belt, and w/ snatch grip, it should approach sternum level. A good combination for both size and strength. Ever checked out the traps on an OL type?
Tim

I don't do it quite that explosively, but that's close to how I do shrugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:34 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok Just wanted to inform everyone of my crazy ass in the gym. I worked back the other night for a long time I did pretty much every workout I could think of my lats traps erector spinae and everything else I can think of is sore.

I ran my typical 1 hour five minutes and then I completed dominated my back like it was my bitch. I think I hit my back for roughly almost two hours.

I started with hammer grip pull ups did 5 sets of ten while keeping TUT. Then I did 5x12 with the lat pulldown and yea that felt great. I then did wide grip rows I then did tbar rows with a barbell and that v handle most use for seated rows. I did three plates with that 5x12 as well I loved it. I also did shrugs but by then the whole using the 70lb dbells after the second set went out the window due to my HAGGS (having a girl grip syndrome) lol I had to drop to 50 lbs dbells so I could continue my last three sets of 12 and actually hold onto the weight.

Unfortunately I did not deadlift due to the fact that my workout partner last week, he is a noob but he is actually motivating me crazy, but last week after one set of 135 lbs for him he tweaked his lower back. I constantly make sure his form is 100% but he tweaked it so we didn't touch that this week.

Next week I'll change it up. Instead of hitting the pullups first I will kill my biceps btw we hit them too last week after all the back work. I will hit them first then the deadlifts and I'm going heavier than the 225 im done pussy footing it ya know? I'm going heavier maybe 245 and see how I feel. The shrugs will then be after and ill use the barbell and see if there is any chalk in the gym and I'm going heavy there too maybe 225.

Ok long story short after that back workout I was sore as hell I loved it I felt I adequately hit my back traps and everything else. Someone i think ironmaiden once said.....under a sticky of things that bother you or myths i think " I don't want to be overtraining am i? he replies with yea def not im sure you arent overtraining haha Well guess what I don't care if I am cause I'm seeing results. Thanks for all your input guys...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:01 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok back to this.... today is back and biceps again.....

I'm going to start my workout partner light. We are going to deadlift and I'm thinking of making some videos... tonight should be a good night.

anyways.....yea I hope his lower back doesn't puss out on him again....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:43 pm 

Did deadlifts yesterday (higher reps than normal and less rest between sets) and my upper traps are killing me. Obviously it's because of the change in reps and rest time but it's weird how my upper traps are recruited when others say they do additiol exercises for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:01 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

once again heres the video of me doing the deads with 245 brian did it with 95 lbs and was ok going to slowly build him up. heres the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7-Hf1CdoqE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:37 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Is it a trick of the light or is the bar not really touching the ground?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:31 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

frogbyte wrote:
Is it a trick of the light or is the bar not really touching the ground?

It isn't, it seems. The people that actually deadlift at my gym do that as well - does it matter if you don't go the whole way down? To me, it seems like Corless is going mere centimeters from the ground.. That can't matter much, can it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:56 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

it matter if i want to keep my membership. I don't deload and I dont slam the weight around. I was told by keeping the weight off the ground im keeping TUT which strains the muscles more. If i bang the weight around I can loose my membership. Pussy I know but one of those rules...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:03 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Ah. Well Rippetoe goes into diatribes about how deadlifts where you don't touch the floor cheat because you're using the muscle stretch reflex. I try to really reset each time and keep my form good, but if it's a gym rule oh well. Isn't it possible to set the weights down quietly, if noise is the issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:07 pm 

There's no fun in deadlifting quietly. I'd change gyms over that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:40 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

frogbyte wrote:
Ah. Well Rippetoe goes into diatribes about how deadlifts where you don't touch the floor cheat because you're using the muscle stretch reflex. I try to really reset each time and keep my form good, but if it's a gym rule oh well. Isn't it possible to set the weights down quietly, if noise is the issue?

Ah, I see. I didn't know it mattered that much. I'm glad I was doing it correctly then.

Quote:
There's no fun in deadlifting quietly. I'd change gyms over that one.

I agree. You can't run a farm then complain about the dirt. It comes with the territory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:03 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Really is it just the noise of the plates that's a problem? Ie, is it ok to work out in the mirror screaming "all you!" at the top of your lungs the whole time?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2