ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:22 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi everbody,

I normally do 3 sets of the same exercise of 12 reps, 10 reps and 8 reps. After I finished, I will head to a different exercise.

The question is can I do a exercise of the first set and then do another first set of a different exercise. Then coming back to the second set of my first exercise and so on. I used this method last night and found out that instead of 10 reps of the second set, I can achieved 12 reps for second and third.

Normally I take about 1 hr to finish my workout but last night it took me 50 mins.

Need advise please.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:22 am 

How long were you resting before trying this new method and were you switching to exercises that involved different muscles?

If you werent resting long and switched to different exercises, then you simply gave your muscles more time to recover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:54 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for prompt reply.

I have been resting for 2 days before trying out this new method. Normally between a set, I would rest for a min or more (maybe too long).

I switch to different exercise involving different muscle but still upper body.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:08 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I mix up straight sets and antagonistic sets. That is, I will do straight sets for a workout or two, then in the next couple of workouts- for example, do a chest press set, then a pulldown set, until all the chest and back sets are done. Then on to another pair of exercises. It just adds variety to the workout.

Yes, it does shorten the time for the workout, because I have fewer rest periods. However, if I am lifting heavy (85-90% of 1 RM), I still do straight sets and rest at least 90 seconds in between. Those workouts take much longer. They also need a lot more concentration on my part, hence the straight sets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:11 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi northernbelle, maybe it's just me, but I've found that even when going up to the heavy work, it helps to go antagonist. Hit a heavy pushpress, then slap on a couple of plates and hit some heavy chins. like I said, maybe it's just me, but it works for me.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:58 am 

Ethan, i would not worry about the time drop. It just means your recuperation is improving. I like to time my workouts, and getting them done quicker usually means I'm getting into better overall physical shape. I look at you 10 minute reduction as a good thing. If overall fitness is your goal , its good. If you are into strength, then lower the reps, take a bit longer to ge the most out of it.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The only limitation is the gym. It works great as long as someone isn't tearing your plates off the second you take your eye off of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:34 am 

Well said Ironman. I don't think about that because, in the summertime, I do my stuff on the back porch (I have three bars and close to a thousand pouds of weight, with adjustable DB's), and in the winter, I can move it indoors. The people that go to commercial gyms though, might have a problem.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:45 pm 

TimD wrote:
Well said Ironman. I don't think about that because, in the summertime, I do my stuff on the back porch (I have three bars and close to a thousand pouds of weight, with adjustable DB's), and in the winter, I can move it indoors. The people that go to commercial gyms though, might have a problem.
Tim

I just became extremely envious of you. Of course it's currently summertime... when I return to school my gym will be top notch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:35 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for all of your experience advice.

TimD, I am into strength so I will probably increase the weight and lower the reps but just how much reps is enough? Should I lift to failure?

Cheers
E

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:46 pm 

Hi EthanI wish Scott I was still postingf. He would probably give a different answer, but every bit as good. I would advise going with a 5X5, increasing weight each set after a couple of warm ups/ I would NOT advise going to failure, make it hard, but doable, and on the other days, just work up to 90% or so. The 5z5 has been well written about, and if you do a search on it, you will find tons of info on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:51 pm 
n00b
n00b

TimD,

I cant wait to try the 5x5 program.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:49 am 
n00b
n00b

TimD,

I have been using the 5x5 program in my workout.

This is my workout:
Dumbell Shoulder Press
Barbell Curl
Cable Pull Down
Dumbell Chest Press
Dumbell Shrug
Pec Dec Fly
Barbell Bent Over Row
Barbell Upright Row
Tricep Press

Can I use 5x5 in all my exercise if I want to bodybuild too?

thanks
E

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:48 am 

Hi Ethan.
Thanks for asking. To the question, though, I would say no to 5X5 in all. Pick 3 major moves from a push, pull and squat, pick 2-3 other for 2-3 sets of higher reps, say 10-12 JV Askem outlines it much better than I can right here.
http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/QUALITY3.htm
Yes, it will work well for bodybuilding.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For bodybuilding, you would be better off with higher reps. Failure and beyond failure stuff is good sometimes (though not all the time) in bodybuilding, where as with strength it's not such a good thing. You will need more exercises for bodybuilding also. You could do 5 or 6 total sets per muscle group with 6 reps just short of failure. That would be a good mix of size and strength. You're not going to grow on that forever though. Growth continues when proticols are changed. Like 3 to 4 of 6-8 to failure with high rest so you max out every set for a few months. Then 10X10 with short rest with 65% or so, so you only reach momentary failure on the last couple sets. Then it's 1X8 but at 90%+, you only get 6 but rest pause out 2 more, then get a couple slow negatives and do a drop or even double or triple on some things. Then back to the beginning, or maybe you throw in a strength phase for a while.

So you would probably be better of building strength (maybe some size) with 5X5 for a while. Then do some bodybuilding later.