ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Juggers Log
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:45 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hello everyone. I wanted to post my routine to get some help. TheExRx website is the best website I've ever seen, and so I hope I can get some good advice on the forums. Anyway, I am putting together a small home gym in my house and I will be able to workout again. I need advice on my routine since I am fairly new to this (working out without a trainer so I am doing this on my own).

So here is my routine for my first week. I am going to weight train 3 times a week. One question I have is: On my off days, should I do some type of aerobic training, or do some calisthenics like push ups and sit ups instead?
An old friend wrote a routine for me similar to this but I changed it for myself. He is a personal training and trained me for a good 2 years so I trust in his routines.

Date _____________

A1.Regular Squat:
A2.Barbell Lunge:
B1.Bench Press:
B2.Palm-in Chin:
C1.Knee Raises:
C2:open

Date _____________

A1.Regular Squat:
A2.Dunbell Calf Raise:
B1.Bench Press:
B2.Palm-out Chin:
C1.Upright row:

Date _____________

A1.Regular Squat:
A2.Barbell Lunge:
B1.Bench Press:
B2.WDPalm-out Chin:
C1.Kickback:

As You can See from the routine, my A workout is Squats, with the A2 workout complimenting it. The same if for the B workout as the Bench press with the B2 workout complimenting it. So the Days I am working out I am doing upper body and lower body in the same day. The Workouts will be done for 3 weeks or so then I will make variations on the main workout (instead of a regular squat, I will do dead-lifts, or wide squats). Therefor, I will have a cycle where the workouts are changing as well as the sets and reps.

I will probably do 5 sets of 4-6 reps for the A workouts, and 5 sets of the B workouts with 8-10 reps. The same for the C workouts.

Any suggestions? How do my rep ranges look? I am working on power lifting and then want to eventually do Olympic style lifting when I feel like it...

Last edited by Juggers on Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:30 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Fixing the routine

Last edited by Juggers on Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem was, you posted it it in the wrong place. Only one percon can write in a thread in the journal area. So I put it here where it really should go. I'm more of a bodybuilder so I only know the basics about power lifting. We'll see if Tim or Ryan notices. They are good ones for that and O lifting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:20 am 

Okay... where to start.

You say you are working on powerlifting. If that is the case, you need a lot more hamstring work in my opinion. Not doing deadlifts is fine and works really well for some, just make sure you cycle them at some point which you say you will do so that is fine. Barbell lunges are okay but really not the best thing to get strong hamstrings like you need to squat and deadlift big.

Ill address the reps for the squat now. 5x8-10 seems like a lot. I am not sure it really fits what you are trying to do. If you are doing a general adaptation phase or recovering from some heavy lifting, then you do not really need 5 sets, 2-3 will work just fine in the 8-12 range. If you are tapering reps to lift heavier, then 5 sets is good but you should lower the reps otherwise you will be training endurance. This is true of all of the lifts.

I realize you have these B and C workouts as some form of active recovery, but if that is really what you are after, I would not bench 3 times per week in a strength/power phase. Again, if in an adaptation phase, 3 times is fine but keep the sets down throughout. Even when using them as a heavy/light combo, you do not need that many sets and I would probably advise just keeping the rep range the same but lower the percentage otherwise you are going to psuh yourself to other recovery problems. The idea of a light workout is just to get the blood flowing so that is all you need here.

I guess I would recommend something like

day 1
Main squat day
Backup bench day (work on close grips or use the lighter loading scheme with normal grip)
Keep the lunges if you want, add another hamstring exercise, SLDL, RDL, Leg Curl, Glute Ham raise etc
Chins are fine
Ab work an dmaybe back extensions depending on your choice of hamstring exercise

Day 2
Deadlift or extremely light squatting working on technical aspects.
barbell lunges and hamstring work if you are up for it, calf work
Rows of all types, great for deadlift and bench
more Chins if you want
I would give the bench a rest. Use dumbbells or work on some triceps stuff.
More abs

day 3
Main bench day
light squat day again or deadlift depending on choice for day 2.
More chins or rows
Shoulder raises mostly side and rear
Triceps fit here as well
Hamstring and Lunges etc
Ab work

Keeping them full body, my main thoughts areyou need to take time off from benching and squatting 3 times per week. Although a lot of people can handle multiple upper body workouts per week, it is generally pretty hard to get more than 1 quality leg workout in so 2 is kind of an upper limit for someone with great recovery in the strength type rep ranges you are talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:58 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the reply, and my fault for posting int he wrong place. I wasn't sure where to put a question like the one I had so sorry for the mistake.

Ryan thanks for all the clarity you've given me, although I understand it little, I trust what you said is true...it makes since. I know my set ranges seem high but thats only because I read this 5x5 thing somewhere and I needed something to work off of.

I am working for power and not trying to bodybuild, and I am new at it. I know there is more then just throwing sets and repts together with excersizes...so thanks Ryan for that. I will lower down my sets and try and get more hamstring work in. I thought that squats work out the hamstrings as well as deadlifts? I don't know anyworkouts that I can do here (at my house) that work the hams...I could try good mornings, I think they work the hams too.

I'll try to formulate another routine that better suits what I'm trying to accomplish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:54 am 

You can look up Straight back Straight Leg or Straight Back Stiff Leg Deadlifts on this site.

Nothing wrong with 5x5, but 5x10 seems a bit much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:16 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ok, I wrote up another routine cutting down my sets and fixing the rep range. I'm still not sure what goes with what, like, while I'm benching, after a set, do a set of chins, and so on? I used to do it this way. After that, Say I squat a set, then I can move to another leg workout to do a set (super sets?). Like for day one, do I really want to do squatting and deadlifts back to back, or do I want to finish my squatting sets then move onto my deadlifts? I think it would be easier to just finish one at a time for these two.

Day 1 _____________

A1.Regular Squat 3x4-6
A2.Conventional Deadlift 3x4-6
B1.Light regular benching 3x4-6
B2.Palm-in Chin: 3x8
C1.Knee Raises 3x8-10
C2:

Day2 _____________

A1.Stiff Legged Deadlift 3x4-6
A2.Dunbell calf raise 3x8-10
B1.Dunbell bent over row 3x 6-8
B2.Palm-out Chin: 3x6-8
C1. Close grip benchpress 3x6-8
C2:

Day 3_____________

A1.Regular benchpress 3x-4-6
A2.Light Squatting 3x4=6
B1.Upright Row 3x6
B2.Kickbacks 3x8
C1.Foward Lunges 3x6-8
C2:

I should tell you that I am new at this right now. I used to lift, but that was almost a year and a half ago when I grappled. Its been a while since I've even touched wieghts and just want to make sure I'm doing it the right way. Ryan, any fine tuning you can do would be a great help. You've been great so far. I know I ask a lot of questions but there is a lot I don't know.

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:18 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ok...well I changed up the routine again, and made a ghetto box for box squatting. I plan on using this routine monday, so any changes you guys can think of would be great help before then. Below I posted my 1RM for bench, squat, and deadlift. Then in parenthasis I posted the increase in wieght for the sets. I will do 4 sets of 4-6 reps for the big movements. It IS an adaptation phase since I am new. I am working up to 65% of my bench, 70% of my squat, and 65% of my dead-lift. I wan't to keep these percentages for a 4 week cycle, then change the up the percentages for the next cycle. How should I go for the percentages, 90%? How often should I check my 1RM? When I get a new 1RM should I do new percentages? :)

1RM Bench-press=175 (90/100/105/115) 4-6R @ 65%
1RM Box Squat=180 (100/110/115/125) 4-6R @70%
1RM Conventional Dead-lift=225 (115/125/135/145) @65%

Day 1 _____________

A1.Box Squat:
A2.Conventional Deadlift:
B1.Regular Bench-press:
B2.Palm-in Chin:
C1.Bench Sit-ups:
C2:

Day 2 _____________

A1.Stiff Deadlift:
A2.Box Squat:
B1.Close Grip bench:
B2. Dumbbell bent over row:
C1. Palm-out chin:
C2:

Day 3 _____________

A1.Box Squats:
A2.Regular Bench:
B1.Upright Row:
B2.Kickbacks:
C1.Foward Lunges:
C2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:34 pm 
Novice
Novice

I think you'll find 4-6 reps at 65% 1RM to be way too easy. I know everyone's different but i think on average 65% would be more befitting to a 10-12 rep range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:54 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Well, I won't keep those percentages for long, I only had them this low because I'm just starting lifting again and didn't want to kill myself. On the other hand, I don't want to waste my time if its not going to benefit me. Whats better, 85-90%?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:12 am 

If those are your 1RMs from right now then it's fine to go light for a few weeks, but if those are your lifetime 1RMs (you said you used to lift) then you should fine out what you can handle now. If your goal is powerlifting then you'll want to work with at least 80%... in your light phase, and you'll need a much higher percentage to train for strength later. I think as soon as you can do about 6 reps in any set you should up the weight. (Not so much that you can't rep it though.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:15 am 

You say that you are starting out and that you want to train powerlifting.

You should focus on the actual power lifts themselves and building a basic foundation of strength. To do this i would focus on the lifts in question - squat, deads and benches - using variations thereof as the assistance movements instead of other assistance movements until you have built up a good level of strength.

As you progress to a certain point, you will find gains come fewer and further between. This is when you check in again and start looking for OTHER assistance movements to help with progression again.

I've used schedules where the routine is broken into 3 session per week as follows:

SQUAT DAY
-HEAVY squats - 5x5 (3 progressively heavier warmup sets, two killer sets)
-variation of bench (light) - 2or3 sets of 10-12 (LIGHT - 50% max))
-variation of deadlift (light) - 2or3 sets of 10-12 (LIGHT - 50% max)))

REST 1 OR 2 DAYS

BENCH DAY
-HEAVY benches - 5x5 (as per squat day)
-variation of squat (light as described above)
-variation of deadlift (light as described above)

REST 1 OR 2 DAYS

DEADLIFT
-HEAVY deadlift (your preferred method, sumo or standard) - 5x5
-variation of squat (light as described above)
-variation of bench (light as described above)

REST 2 OR 3 DAYS

When doing the "variations" - you should be focusing on explosive speed and technique. Consider this a method of practising the lifts to develop the motor skills (mind-muscle links) and active recovery/maintenance. THe "Heavy" lift of the day should be tough, but low volume. Focus on working your ass off to grind out each rep.

Where it states 2or3 sets of 10-12 - you should probably do 2 rather than 3, depending on your recovery rate. Start with 2 and see where that takes you.

Adding weight to the bar for the "heavy lifts" - when you can achieve the sets and rep schemes listed, for 2 consecutive workouts, add 5 lbs to the bar and stick with that weight until the reps and sets are matched. As the heavy lifts go up, so does the weight for the light variation lifts - these are always a max of 50% of the heavy lifts.

Varitions:

Squat - front squat, back squat with varied stances, overhead squat (adjust weight accordingly), zercher squats, hack squats, dumbell squats, box squats, jumping squats (very light), high-rep air squats, vary your stance

Deadlift - if you do standard, use sumo (or vice versa), trap bar deads (conventional grip or palms facing), dumbell deadlift, two dumbell deadlift, 1 hand deadlift, i throw in good mornings here as well - vary your stance width

Bench - incline, decline, standing overhead press, seated overhead presses - using varying grips for each. ALternate between dumbells and barbell. (Want a good ab workout - do one handed benches with a dumbell).

Follow this until you have added at least 50% of your current max to each of the 3 lifts. Example if your max in the bench press is 100lbs, stick with this program until you have added 50lbs to that. FOrget about 1rm's and percentages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:36 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Well, that is defentley different from any routine I've seen...I think I will do that....however, when you say heavy benching or heavy squats for the day, how heavy should I go? You said three progressively heavy warmup and two killer sets, so that would be like 80% to like 95%? I know you said forget about perentages right now but I don't know how else to manage the weight...I need something to work off of.

I notice that there are many differnt methods....thats what is confusing me. Everyone has they're own method, or methods they twist around for themselves. For example, Louie Simmons uses the conjugate method where the classicle lift (the squat, bench, or deadlift) is only done like, once a week and special exercies that mimic the main one are done in its place. But your telling me to stick with the classical ones until I can add about 50 pounds to each, for general strength. A main one, one day, with the other two done at 50% for techneque and speed.

I'll write up another routine to match the one you suggest, it seems pretty good. I can assume that I can throw more than just three excersizes in there on my lifting days (chins, lunges ect).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:12 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Ok, well, I conjured up another one lol....Im going to do what Hoister suggests for a little while so I can build up some basic power. Is it ok to do a set of chins after a set of benching If so, on a heavy day or just on light days? How long should I wait to check my 1rm to see if I have gained?

Week 1 Routine (Adaptation phase/general strength) Date ___________
1RM Bench-press=175 (45/115/135/145/155/) 65-85% 5x5
1RM Box Squat=180 (45/120/135/145/160/170/) 65-95% 5x5
1RM Conventional Dead-lift=225 (45/135/145/175/215)60-95% 5x5

Day 1 _____________
Heavy Squat Day
A1.Box Squat:
A2.Conventional Deadlift:
B1.Regular Bench-press:
B2.Palm-in Chin:

Day 2 _____________
Heavy Deadlift Day
A1Conventional Deadlift
A2.Box Squat:
B1.Close Grip bench::
B2. Palm-out chin:

Day 3 _____________
Heavy Bench Day
A1Regular Bench:
A2.Box Squat:
B1.Sumo Deadlift:
B2.Wide chin-ups:

I really hope I can get all those reps out of the benching.... I will find out soon enough.

I kept the box squat normal for all excersizes because I am working on my form and still need to practice zercher squats with my new bench...not sure how to execute properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:28 am 
Rookie
Rookie

OK...I got you....thanks a lot, I will try this out and let the forum know how I do.