ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:55 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

stuward wrote:
ApolytonGP wrote:
No yolk: Probably a holdover from my dieting days (lost 70 pounds in 6 months with a hardcore healthy, non-cheating, volumetrics assisted NS diet). I found that mixing a pint of eggwhites (buy them in liquid form) with about 4-6 servings of veggies was an incredile infusion of protein, bulk (like a whole minimeal) and had very low calories. And tasted good. Adding in yolks would reduce the protein and up the calories (assuming I keep the volumetric amounts similar).

Liquid egg whites are not paleo. The egg yolk is the most important part of the egg. The egg yolk as as much protein as the egg white and most of the eggs nutrients. Paleo eaters are definitely not afraid of a little fat. If you are, and you want to try paleo eating, get over it.

I am not, nor have I ever been a paleo eater, in anything other than happenstance. And eggwhites rock for those who need to do serious, serious weight loss. I'm talking clinical fatties. I know these people backwards and forwards. They are a whole different breed than you lot here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:02 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

pdellorto wrote:
Just coincidentally, I was reading these articles this week:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... built1.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... built2.htm

Interesting stuff. I think the Paleo diet can work for a lot of people, but I'm also of the opinion it's based on a lot of conjecture and supposition by non-experts in archeology. I'm not convinced by the idea that "cavemen" really ate a specific way, or acted a specific way, so we should. I am convinced that this diet works stunningly well for some people, might work for most people, and there are probably genetic/evolutionary reasons why this is so. But I tend to cringe away at "this is how Ogg the Caveman ate before he clubbed a wooly mammoth to death, then deadlifted it and ran 26.2 miles back to his cave with the corpse." Uh...how about, "this way of eating works for body recomposition and health? :lol:

Second time I am times 1000 with you in under a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:20 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Like some of the other's, I don't think Paleo is the "End all be all", but is a great starting point. Remember, our ancestors didn't choose that method, it pretty much was dictated to them. Now look at evolvement, the Inuits and many other northern peoples do well on strict paleo, whereas some of the tropical peoples do just fine on more agrarian diets. Go figure. Best thing, give it a shot, honestly, for a while, and see how YOU respond.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:08 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

frogbyte wrote:
There may not be much vitamins/minerals in the white, but you can't call essentially pure protein "empty cals".

Your right, For some reason I had this thought that empty cals meant no micronutrients but with macro's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:37 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

a pint of eggwhite has only 250 calories. poured onto 4+ servings of veggies and cooked up as a scramble with some spices added in, you have a ginormous amount of food with only 350 calories to it. And lots of protein. Also all kinds of nutrients in the veggies. Very appetizing also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ApolytonGP wrote:
a pint of eggwhite has only 250 calories. poured onto 4+ servings of veggies and cooked up as a scramble with some spices added in, you have a ginormous amount of food with only 350 calories to it. And lots of protein. Also all kinds of nutrients in the veggies. Very appetizing also.

Calories schmalories, you're missing out on a lot of important nutrients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:06 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

How do you know? That was one minimeal. 350 calories out of 3000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:45 am 

Ironman lacks a bit with respect to political correctness, but he's spot on. You probably won't need all the yolks that would normally be there with a pint of eggwhites, but you will be getting vital micronutrients (yes, also from the veg, but more still), lecithin, and good fats. Fats promote a lot of good hormones, and these folks that try to eliminate fat from their diets suffer.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:08 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

A new article on paleo.

http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2010/04/p ... rkers.html

Quote:
So, this study suggests that people who follow a diet similar to what I practice (20% protein, 20% carbohydrate, and 60% fat) may achieve the metabolic benefits of caloric restriction without the hunger associated with caloric restriction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:58 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Fill your gullet with veggies and you will enjoy calorie restriction without the feeling of hunger. I know. I lived it. 70 pounds gone at 3#/week. Eggwhite-veggie mess. 2 huge salads a day (including one about 2100 which is prime cheating time). cooked veggies mixed into your NS entree. Plus the minimeals, breakfast, etc.

I'm telling y'all. I know it. I lived it.

I made a special project and LITERALLY ate every veggie in the supermarket (from one end to the other). We are talking swiss chard. Beets. turnips. Daikon radishes. mustard greens. ALL!

EAT VEGGIES!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:55 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I suspect everyone here agrees to eat veggies, and that protein is important also. You're missing the point though that fat is also necessary for maintaining health. (Merely losing weight is not the goal - focus on overall health.)

Also it's disrespectful to the chicken - it worked hard to make that yolk, so eat it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:06 pm 

The original question was about Paleo. Whole eggs are paleo. This discussion is off topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:22 pm 

Well here's a question that I haven't really seen answered, for a fairly muscular bodybuilder - is it possible to keep muscle glycogen full?

And if not, is there a 'modified' type of paleo that would be better for those involved in bodybuilding and/or high intensity training?

What I'm thinking of doing now is simply removing all grains/starches from my diet and keeping dairy/legumes etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:30 pm 

Too bad I don't like most veggies :cry:.

Last edited by Rucifer on Mon May 03, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:31 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

You could go with dried fruit? You can get a pretty large amount of carbohydrate calories pretty quick that way, even the ones without artificially added sugar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next