Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Step-Ups
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:29 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey guys,

I am having some difficulty with perfoming step-ups. I read a lot of descriptions from good coaches and pretty much every one says not to push off with foot that is on the floor. I can't seem to be able to do it.

Every time I perform a step-up my body automatically pushes with both feet. I tried pointing the toes of my floor foot up to minimize this, but I still get the automatic reaction and I can barely handle any weight (like 5 lbs dumbells!).

When I perform the step ups 'my' way I have no issues and can handel much more weight.

Do I need to reprogram myself to perform the exercise as described? Is there a weak muscle in there somewhere that is causing this?

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:39 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi George. Wish Scott was still posting. I'd never really thought about it until your post. My right hip is shot, so I'm conditioned to go with the left anyway. But after thinking about it, it just might help to consciously perform them with bodyweight only for a few days, making a conscious efort to push off only with the "up" foot. I think I unconsciously did that when my hip problems became pronounced That said, I'm not all that sure that using both feet is all that much of a detriment in a normal healthy person. I'd like to hear ther's views on this as well.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:04 am 

I think you are doing them right because when I perform them without a pushoff, I can only do around bodyweight as well.

Post subject: Re: Step-Ups
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:41 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

George G wrote:
I am having some difficulty with perfoming step-ups. I read a lot of descriptions from good coaches and pretty much every one says not to push off with foot that is on the floor. I can't seem to be able to do it.

Odd - the description of the step-up exercise on the exrx site calls the gastrocs of the second leg a synergistin the exercise. This is the first time that I heard someone recommending not pushing off with the hind calf. Not doing so makes the movement functionally different from climbing stairs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:51 pm 

I just tried it myself and can't do them without pushing off with the foot on the floor UNLESS i lean forward at the waist, take my floor foot off the floor and then basically one-legged squat up to a standing position on the step. This however bothers my knee of the foot on the block/step!

I say, do it the way your body "wants" to do it naturally as long as that doesn't hurt in anyway, it should be okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:56 am 

Speaking of Scott, where did he disappear to? His two cents were always worth at least 5.