ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:51 am 
Novice
Novice

So I've decided on a low carb diet, since I've never really craved bread, pasta or potatoes. I don't even particularly like hot chips... I may be a different species...

I've been eating anything I want for the last few months, and haven't really gained much weight. I mean I've certainly lost a bit of muscle since I stopped working out, and gained a bit of fat, but my weight hasn't fluctuated as such.

Anyway I decided to do a cross between the Atkins Induction and include some of Ironmaidens recommendations when I can't stand the Induction strictures. But I'm not sure whether I'm doing it correctly. My diet for the last few days has consisted mainly of meat (primarily... steak, chicken breast, turkey, and canned fish, etc.), salad, cucumbers, celery, tomato, etc... about 70g blue cheese (or cheddar) and about 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter a day. Anyway today I went to this chinese restaurant and couldn't really find anything without noodles or something, so I had dried fried squid with salt and pepper and chilli (about 2/3 of it anyway) and some vegetables. (I read somewhere that fried squid or chicken wasn't bad as long as it wasn't bread crumbed or coated in flour and fried).
I also take a multivitamin, psyllium husk, and about 6 x 1000mg fish oil capsules a day.

What I'm worried about is this: How do I make sure my calories don't sky-rocket, but keep my protein intake up? And should I be eating at certain times? It's sort of all over the place right now, but I'm making sure to keep my carbs under 20gs a day. It just seems too easy at the moment. Yesterday was a bit of a nightmare, because I think I went through some serious carb crash symptoms (headache, nausea, dizziness, etc. I was craving a can of coke) but that's completely gone today. I don't crave sugar at all, I feel full pretty much constantly, and I feel like I'm bursting with energy.
I don't get it and I'm worried I'm doing this wrong.

I know there is a lot of info on this but can someone see any obvious flaws in my approach?
Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:53 am 
Novice
Novice

By the way I'm at the end of the third day of eating this way. ie. below 20gs net carbs a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:07 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

As long as you aren't conciously trying to overeat, it's hard to overeat. That part is easy. Don't worry about the calories. The hard part is not giving in to your cravings. 3 or 4 weeks from now, that won't be hard either. I find it helps to make my own salad dressing. Olive oil, red wine vinegar, a little ground mustard, herbs, salt & pepper to taste. This avoids added sugar and veg oil sneaking in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:17 am 
Novice
Novice

I can imagine getting the occasional sugar craving, but a sugar hit every couple of weeks can't be that bad can it? Isn't it actually necessary to spike the insulin occasionally anyway?

I'm just quite enjoying it at the moment. I used to binge on carbs every night. Just eat and eat and was never satisfied. But now I just eat a portion of cheese, a cucumber and a couple slices of chicken breast and it just lasts and lasts. I love it.
I can see how the initial 48 hours are difficult, and that the sugar cravings will return occasionally, but right now I'm very happy with it. I've always much preferred meats and salads and cheeses than starchy veggies. I just never realised what an addiction the sugar actually is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:27 am 

It certainly is an addiction. I would give it 3 weeks and then start adding in carb refeed days. In my house it's spaghetti once a week. It's actually good to overdose on carbs for 1 day and you'll be sick of them for another week. It's the insideous little snacks that add up over time that you need to watch out for. If you fall off the wagon, don't worry about it, just put it behind you and carry on. As far as insulin spikes go, no, they're not needed but they are somewhat useful after workouts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:37 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks Stuward.

I'm sure I'll be back sometime in the next couple of weeks requiring a bit of support, but at the moment I'm feeling pretty good.

Cheers mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:54 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Sorry if this is off-topic but where is ironmaiden?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:59 pm 

Jebus wrote:
Sorry if this is off-topic but where is ironmaiden?

The government got to him. His anti carb, high fat guide was getting in the way of their plans for world domination through the subsidization of corn. Damn you yellow delicious treat...DAMN YOU!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:09 pm 

Maybe he got a life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:53 pm 

Luckily I can justify using this forum by doing it at work, guilt free. Even still I'd hide the fact I got into a philosophical debate over in the lounge on an internet exercise webforum with some guy I don't even know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:47 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

i'll probably be here till I die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:48 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hahaha $h1t... It's a bit of a paradox isn't it, a forum for keen weightlifters and health nuts. I bet half of the members are sitting there playing Call of Duty with a box of Krispy Kremes, in various states of debate about the pros of omega 3 fats, as we speak.

Ironmaiden SHOW YOSELF!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:06 am 

Jebus wrote:
i'll probably be here till I die.

the amount of red meat you eat young man, that'll probably not be too long, kidney failure coming your way!

(JOKING i know high protein diets don't hurt your kidneys)

And Ballophun about what you said, it's a funny one isn't it? For all we know no one on this forum even actually lifts... To be honest though I don't think anyone on this site lies about their accomplishments, but on other forums I'm sure it's rife. A friend of mine emailed me a t-nation forum thread where some kid had posted 'progress pics'. He'd photoshopped himself into pictures of a powerlifting meet. Unlucky for him he'd done a terrible job of photoshopping it and got called out straight away. Imagine actually doing that! Kinda sad in a way that you'd need to try and fake achievements just so folk would give you kudos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:26 am 

I once had a picture with my face photo-shopped onto the body of a body builder, that I was going to use as an avatar, but it was meant to be funny. The size proportions weren't right, and the body builder was African-American, and I'm pale white. I couldn't get the res low enough with the software I had at the time, and I gave up on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:21 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Hahahahah i was just playing Call of duty, MW2, killed a guy with a throwing knife from across the map!!!!! It was awsome!!!! (Subpen) (Navy Seal spawn) lol