Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:22 pm 

It's good for post workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:58 pm 

Since lactose is glucose and galactose, I'm thinking your gonna have to drink a hell of a lot of milk to replenish glycogen stores with it.

Training with no carbs is depressing for the first couple of weeks.. feel shaky, demotivated, weak and ill in the gym. (I cut down on intensity and added volume which worked nicely). But when you have a refeed it is literally like being on NOS, sort of feels like I'm on a stimulant.

If you haven't already done so yet READ the Anabolic Diet! It will clear a lot of things up for you and is designed for bodybuilding/lifting.

Search it on scribd.com, it's on there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:04 pm 

http://stronglifts.com/milk-post-workou ... cle-gains/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:23 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I've been drinking milk PW for a while now. I don't 'miss' protein shakes - I thought I would. Milk is cheaper and tastes better.

I've been drinking un-homogenised Jersey/Guernsey milk recently. 1 litre PW. It's the business. You don't know whether to chew it or drink it. There's more fat in it. 1 Litre has just over 800 calories in it.

For anyone in the UK, it's called 'Gold Top' and you get it in Asda and i've been told Sainsburys has it aswell.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:05 am 

KPj wrote:
I've been drinking milk PW for a while now. I don't 'miss' protein shakes - I thought I would. Milk is cheaper and tastes better.

I've been drinking un-homogenised Jersey/Guernsey milk recently. 1 litre PW. It's the business. You don't know whether to chew it or drink it. There's more fat in it. 1 Litre has just over 800 calories in it.

For anyone in the UK, it's called 'Gold Top' and you get it in Asda and i've been told Sainsburys has it aswell.

KPj

that milk is delicious indeed, although I think if you tried the Sainsburys chocolate milk you'd die of happiness (or a diabetic coma, it's got soooo much sugar in it). It's the nicest thing I've ever had in my life.

Is it really cheaper to drink milk than shakes though? I get a tub of Reflex Instant Mass for [1 million dollars] and it lasts about a month(ish), whereas when I tried to just drink loads of milk I was spending [1 million dollars]£3 on milk a day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:32 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Per gram of protein, I think milk is about 3x more expensive here. Course you get fat and sugar etc with the milk, so depends on how much you value those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:45 am 
Novice
Novice

stuward wrote:
Rucifer wrote:
stuward wrote:
Diet questions go in the Diet section. One of the mods can move this easy enough.

I eat paleo as much as I can. I'm not completely strict, mostly because I'm not the only one in the family and I eat in the cafeteria a lot. The reduced carbs does make a difference to my fat levels and the high nutrients in the food makes a difference in my health. Once you realize that grains are a complete waste of calories, this becomes an easy way to eat. Whole grains are only good for people that are stuck on white bread. Grains are empty calories regardless of how unrefined they are. Starchy carbs are close to grains in their emptiness. They have very few nutrients compared to better foods. The hard part about paleo is getting enough calories and that's where meat comes in. I think at least half your calories should come from animal sources. Ideally 3 meal a day based on eggs, fish and meat each day. I tend to go with 2 egg meals just because it's the closest to paleo I can get at the cafeteria.

I know your pretty much the most knowledgable paleo member who posts on here...how big of a part can nuts/seeds be? Or to a lesser extent beans? If I have a large portion of cals based on nut/seed fats...as opposed to dairy fat or carbs...that's not gonna derail things is it? My stomach gets upset too easily with fatty meats like beef and pork.

I think nuts, beans and seeds are OK in moderation. They have a lot of carbs and the nuts and seeds usually have a fair amount of O6. However, O6 from whole foods seem to be better for the body than processed oils so I wouldn't worry too much about them. If you're trying to gain weight, I wouldn't worry too much about the carbs, you need the calories. I used to snack on nuts fairly often but lately I don't get hungry between meals much so I don't so much. Beans and chili go together so well, I don't know how you could cut them out completely. That's just not human. If you're trying to lose weight, be real careful with these.

What's wrong with Omega 6?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:00 am 

Peter, in modern quantities it's inflammatory and probably promotes obeisity. Although it is essential, it appears the optimal level in your diet is about 3-4 grams, well below what most western diet eaters get.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... ional.html

You can offset the excessive omega 6 with omega 3 supplementation but that requires a lot of omega 3. It's better to keep both in the 3-4 gram range.

Of course the AHA says that' just wrong and they are the authority and must be right.
http://www.theheart.org/article/937865.do

I really think that as long as you are eating whole foods, minimizing grains and other processed foods, you should be all right. Nature has a way of putting the antidotes with the poisons, like egg yolk with the egg white. If we eat the way nature intended, we'll probably be better off than following a reductionist approach.

Not all O6 is the same.

Most don't get enough Conjugated Linoleic Acid which is found in Grass fed and wild meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:40 am 
Novice
Novice

Actually levels should be much higher than 3-4 grams per day of the EFA's.

Despite the high level of omega 6 consumption people are still deficient in omega 6. The reason is they are consuming adulterated omega 6. Actually consumption of high quality unadulterated omega 6 is very low.

Omega 6 is essential for PGE1 production, where omega 3 is essential for PGE3 production. Maintaining balance between PGE1 and PGE3 is vital. Also important to not the PGE1(omega 6) has greater anti-inflammatory effects than PGE3(omega 3) yet we hear all the time about omega 3 being anti-inflammatory.

Paleo has some benefits in terms of removing adulterated fats from the diet along with grains, dairy and many of the modern foods that are at least partially if not totally responsible for the state of health today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:50 am 

I'm sure that's why nuts seem to be ok where corn oil, for example, is not.

3-4 grams came from Stephan Guyenet's blog http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/
It seems to be the amount in the pre-industrial diet.

Edit: I read it wrong, it's "4% of calories". In a 2000 cal diet that would be 80 calories or 9 grams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:26 am 
Novice
Novice

stuward wrote:
I'm sure that's why nuts seem to be ok where corn oil, for example, is not.

3-4 grams came from Stephan Guyenet's blog http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/
It seems to be the amount in the pre-industrial diet.

Edit: I read it wrong, it's "4% of calories". In a 2000 cal diet that would be 80 calories or 9 grams.

Actually 4% is the limit of Omega6 consumption, after which it will not cause any further problem ;-). You want to be quite a bit lower.

You want to get Omega6:Omega3 nearly 1:1. Since getting Omega3 is difficult. You need to get the Omega6 quite a bit lower. So 3-4gms of both is a good ballpark, but you can go lower without any problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:12 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Uh, it's a lot easier to add more O3 than it is to reduce O6. Do both.