ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:20 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think I have a fairly good plan because in a couple of months, unless I drive a long distance I will more than likely not have access to a good gym. I plan on getting a Pull-up bar (which by the way, if anyone has advice on that for me, by all means help), a dip bar or a counter, and weighted pushups (either a backpack or someone pushing, which I could also use for extra resistance on the first two) for upper body, and sprints for lower body. The only thing I think I would be neglecting is shoulders, so anyone have any advice on that? By the way, I don;t plan on becoming a behemoth on this plan, just staying in decent shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sprints won't do it for your legs. Try squats with the backpack, or do 1 leg at a time. You could get hamstrings by bending over with the backpack on in front. You could maybe rig something up to hold your feet down on the couch to do a glute-ham raise. For shoulders try a bucket of water. Just be careful not to hurt yourself with these odd shaped objects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:01 am 

Hand stand push ups. If you have access to a stadium, try plyometrics. Isometrics work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:30 am 
n00b
n00b

I don't think you are neglecting shoulders (at least front delts) if you are doing chest dips and push ups.

Supine Rows would probably be a pretty good addition for the back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:15 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pistols (1 legged squats) are really great for lower body.

Hand stand pushups (as said before) are really a great excercise for your upper body.

If you're feeling adverturous, try doing some gymnastic level bodyweight excercises like tuck planches. http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

Post subject: Pull-up bars
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:46 pm 
Novice
Novice

I recently got this one but I'm not completely satisfied because of the high cost. He also sells lots of different models.

Here's another that I saw at NY Barbell. I don't know anyone who has it. It doesn't look as long as the one I have but it's hard to tell. Mine is 42". I'm not good enough to train that wide yet. I can only do one pullup that wide so I tend to go with slightly wider with shoulder width for now. I hope to use a wider grip as my strength improves. I can't even do one wide grip behind the neck pull up as you see the guy doing in the photo. Maybe someday.

I think the important thing is that you get one that it is wide enough and that your elbows have space to go outward. I used to have one that just occupies the space between the doorway like this. The problem with these is that the doorway interferes with your arms if you're trying to do use a wide grip with palms facing away from you. They work fine for palms facing toward you and shoulder-width grip.

I've heard that wide grip pull-ups are a great (if not the best) exercise for the lats as well as other areas of the back. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:32 am 
Novice
Novice

For the legs, try "Hindu Squats".

For weighted back/front squats, you can improvise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:52 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

All great answers above. Here is an article that has a compilation of different exercises and some idea on how to form varie workouts with them
http://www.ironsports.tv/in_shape.htm
Good training
Tim