ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:16 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hi guys,

I want a good stab at burning fat in an aggressive way (roaring and beating my chest before I eat.... errr... hmmm... ok not that kind) and am willing to work hard for 4-6 weeks to see results . My plan is to practically eliminate carbs except the 2 hour window after my workouts.

So...

My plan is this, nearly exactly (repeated daily), and I would like you to comment on how strict you think it is and how you would alter it. I will highlight "cheating" with italic font, on the assumption I shouldn't really eat/drink it.

(P.s. I realise this smacks of "do the research for me", and its appreciated, but its the usual case for me, theres lots of resources and I dont know which to pick, so I've read a fair bit and took a guess at it)

Breakfast: (6:30am)
Scrambled egg (x3)
OR Cheddar omelette
OR Cottage cheese with blended mixed nuts
OR A protein shake

Snack: (10am)
Small cheese portion/s
2x orange - Maybe replace with berries?

WORKOUT (1 hour, anywhere between mid day and 2:30pm)
- Recovery shake with water (label says Waxy Maize Starch, Impact Whey Isolate)

Lunch: 2pm Aprox (Note: After discussion with a couple of people, they seem to think post workout is the window where I can/should have carbs, please advise here)

- Pasta/meat (chicken/tuna/olive oil/maybe peanut butter?) with boiled egg.
Large drink of milk (1L?)

4pm snack
- Shake with milk (says "Whey Protein and Impact Whey Isolate")

Dinner: 6-7pm
- Large variety hopefully, wont list all. Essentially lean meats, egg, salad and or veg (going to try get 4 servings of kelp a week too btw)

9pm snack
- Shake with milk (says "Whey Protein and Impact Whey Isolate")

So my questions are:
- Aiming for low carb, is milk acceptable in my morning/night time protein shakes or do I switch to water? I would have thought water to be honest, when being strict
- How does a low carb diet include fruit and veg, how much, what kind, and what time should I include them
- Do you agree with the gym guy, about loading carbs (specifically pasta and milk/little fruit) after the gym? Would the diet still function as well as a near zero carb diet? (for burning fat...)
- I plan to drink water or coffee without sugar

Thanks in advance, if you need more info let me know but the post is long enough :)

Last edited by RobertB on Wed May 12, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:13 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Robert, keep your total daily calories less than you are taking in and aim for 1-2 lb/wk loss. This would require 500-1000 calorie/day deficit.

Protein is key to preventing muscle loss and satisfies your appitite best. get about 1g/lb of body weight.

Breakfast looks fine but add a veg to fill you up. Onions, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc all go good in omelettes.

Snack is fine.

Workout: This is where to put your carbs, either immediately after or with lunch. You don't need a recovery drink.

4pm snack: use water in your shake. You should start tapering off your carbs now.

Dinner. Don't forget the good fats. try to get fish at least every second day. Herbs add flavor and variety allong with needed micronutrients.

9PM snack, use water.

As long as your calorie budget can accept the milk, you can have more but you probably don't need it. Water and whey gives you the protein you need.

You can basically eat all the veg you want as the calories are low. You can't over eat on brocolli. Eat starchy veg and sugary fruit sparingly.

Don't consider fruit and milk "cheating". You can eat anything if your calorie budget can afford it. Just consider what it leaves you to spend for the rest of the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:09 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hi Stuward, thanks for your input, I already run a decent defecit and have lost 10-13lbs in maybe 7 weeks - this was quite easy, all I did was stop eating 4 bread every day and refuse 50% of the mental foods (takeout etc, I'll just eat a big meal before a stoner/drinking session instead :) )

I'll take from it:
-Add veg to breakfast
-Eat fish 3-4 times a week (I do anyway, 2 proper fish meals and i'll be having tuna in work with pasta twice a week)
-Use water with protein shakes

As for eat anything calories permitting, am I being too paranoid about the carb-fasting mentality? will scoffing 4 oranges and a litre of milk (still within boundaries) not wreck this fasting period? its kinda the impression I get from a few of the "phase 1"s of common low carb diets.

Thanks

Last edited by RobertB on Wed May 12, 2010 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:17 am 

The purpose of the "fasting" period is to break the carb dependancy cycle. As long as it doesn't affect your cravings and you can afford the calories, what difference does it make? By the way, you said 2 oranges above and now you say 4. 2 is more than enough fruit you need to get the benefits. 4 is overkill and now you're wasting calories. Invest the same calories in spinach and you'll get better returns.

Edit:By the way, it's possible to destroy a weeks work of clean eating in 1 drinking/stoner session. I'm assuming you were joking above, but if this is part of your lifestyle, you may want to start there and not worry about how many oranges you eat.

Second Edit: I'm not suggesting you can eat "anything", just that everything is OK within limits. It's the quantity that matters. I like a piece of chocolate from time to time. That's 1 or 2 pieces every few weeks or so. It's not planned and I don't crave it but I don't deprive myself either.

Last edited by stuward on Wed May 12, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:26 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

"what difference does it make?"

thats the thing, I have no idea :)

I'll try keep it short but basically when I got my bodyfat back at 19% about 10 weeks back I said to self I want that at 13-14 asap. I dont mean kamakazie bad or starvation, If people tell me its going to take time I will listen, but then I hear people who work hard and are strict really can switch their bodies around in 2 months (especially in regards to body fat %)

Having lost aprox 12lbs I'm still not happy with how much I can grab. And I lost that weight dropping pretty much any crappy foods and dropping my sandwiches which are now salads. I still have 10 sugars a day, I still eat cereal when I shouldn't, I'll have ice cream when being a stoner, I eat like 6-7 fruit which needs to come down too.

Hense this approach.

I said 4 oranges later because you said if calories permit it, eat anything. I assumed you dont mean 500-1000 cals of trash food, and still do, so i just added 2 more fruit and more milk as an example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:32 am 

Going from 19% to 13% in 2 months is perfectly reasonable and doable based on the diet we're talking about. (assuming no binging).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:06 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

*gets home from work*

Ok - and yea the plan is a harsh 6-8 weeks, will go back to a normal balanced diet if im sick though (cold/flu etc dont mean from the diet itself)

Thanks for your help, I may have to bump this post throughout the plan because I think I may desperatley want a change at some point, wont go in with that attitude though, if its simple my discipline is usually decent.

Im likely around 17% now having lost most of my weight in the last couple of weeks so hopefully I can come back in July with a nice %, will see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:36 pm 

RobertB wrote:
Thanks for your help, I may have to bump this post throughout the plan because I think I may desperatley want a change at some point, wont go in with that attitude though, if its simple my discipline is usually decent.

If you eat enough protein and veg, that will usually keep your appetite in check. Avoiding processed and restauant foods avoids the hidden calorie bombs. Beyond that, don't deprive yourself, just be aware of deviations and adjust accordingly. You don't have to be perfect, just don't go crazy. Once you reach your goal, add carbs in gradually and you can eat this way for life. You can adjust your fat level by adjusting your carbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:20 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I didnt see your edits above until now

I wasn't joking about the drinking/stoner sessions - but since this is a strict phase it will only be smoking, not the ice cream/pizza/beer.

I assume you were refering to A: during this period B: the food involved and not the beer/smoking? is that right? or do you mean smoking will hinder the process too? :neu:

My drinking is VERY minimal anyway (since im a stoner) I will usually only have 4 bottles on one of the weekend days.

Initially when I came here I had to decide how to go about saying I smoked *it* - tip toe around or just say it, I decided in the end to just say it and hope most would be indifferent to it - don't mean to wave it around but since im asking for a decent breakdown I just list as close to possible what goes into my body and point out where I fall down in regards to commitment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:39 am 

I used to be young once but I keep forgetting about it.

Really, I have no clue what smoking will do to your efforts. Personally I think becoming drunk or stoned has only negative effects. I do think that 1-2 beer or wine has a stress relief benefit. It's up to you to decide what's important to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:46 am 

stuward wrote:
I do think that 1-2 beer or wine has a stress relief benefit.

or 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:59 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
Personally I think becoming drunk or stoned has only negative effects

It slides as you age I guess, im certainley less protective of the vice now I'm older and definately see the "need" for it tapering off, I just worried you were coming at me with an all or nothing mentality (not as harsh as that but in that direction, but now you clarified that) - i.e. "why are you planning any personal bennefit when you have a vice"

I'll leave it there anyway dont want to bump too much - In terms of weekend activities during this phase I will definately be dodging the pizza/icecream fixes.

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:24 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Well if you track your weight and workout stats you might be able to see what affect the smoking has short term. I suspect there's a long term impact that would be tougher to measure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:27 am 

the only negative of the smoking i could see is it making you lazy so you can't be bothered cooking something healthy and resort to takeaway pizza

and also listening to the grateful dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:35 am 

Yeah the only way it would affect me is by being to stoned to cook and just ordering takeaways! It also makes my motivation to train go down.