ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:39 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I would think that affecting motivation would be one of the primary problems, both short and long term.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:16 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Well ive been at it 8 months now and motivations fine :) (gym 3-4 times a week that is) - perhaps this has a more direct effect when it comes to diet however :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:03 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

RobertB wrote:
Well ive been at it 8 months now and motivations fine :) (gym 3-4 times a week that is) - perhaps this has a more direct effect when it comes to diet however :)

having a smoke's never effected my motivation to train either, but I wouldn't normally do it until quite late in the day anyway after all my important stuff's done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:37 am 

Yeah same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:29 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Why I didn't think of this earlier *slaps forehead*

Whats the deal with carbs on non workout days? (Wed/sat/sun)?

I actually do 100 light(ish) squats on sunday (10x10) just as an addon for leg work since I only really do a decent leg session once a week, and squats seem to just ... work... so I could use carbs after that (though its only like 15 mins work)

Do i just switch to low carb salads on those off days for lunch? everything else can stay the same

p.s nah I'd never have it in the day, sat/sun maybe like 1 in the afternoon if not busy but I'd never let it get near work. I tend not to smoke mon/tue/wed either, nice break to allow me to remember how to relax without it and to keep my sleep pattern solid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:07 am 

you could keep your carbs a bit lower on your off days, increase your protein to make up the ratio. Your 100 squats you might even want to do fasted for added fat burning but personally I wouldn't want to, any sort of fasted activity makes me want to pass out.

you could go to Dr Clay Hyght's webpage and donload his "set your metabolism on fire" eBook. He gives you a pretty good beginner's guide to macronutrient cycling. If you have trouble finding it let me know and I'll send you it.

and you're allowed a smoke on a Sunday, what else is there to do on those lazy Sunday afternoons!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:21 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Did my squats fasted somewhat (breakfast was 2 eggs at 9am, did squats 3:30 and ate after them (big milk protein shake, really wanted some milk! and used the carb window to minimize the damage :) )

Oh and yea I downloaded the free ebook - seems to mirror much of what is said here except he likes the on/off thing with carbs - might be something for me to consider due to below:

I've lost the weight a little fast it seems - this is day 8 of the diet and I've lost between 5-7lbs - is this typical due to losing water in the first week?

I don't want to drop below 14stone 7lbs (203lbs) really (im about 14'10 / 206lbs at moment) or I highly suspect my strength will start getting low, i've already stopped making gains and my bench suffered a touch last session (i do 3x8 and the last set was more like 2x4).

I guess body fat test asap - I cant keep loosing weight at this rate or I'll have to re-evaluate. I definately have not been going hungry, I've had some pangs but I put those down to low carb, since I've just munched on cheese/nuts/protein(with water)/fruit (minimal) when hungry - i've had decent meals morning noon and night - so I can't see it being calories that have caused the excessive drop.

What do you guys think? will it only be 2lb next week despite being 5-7 (crappy scales) this week? from your experience that is.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:55 am 

I think you're doing well mate, and you don't need to worry quite so much. The mirror's a better indicator than any scales or bodyfat measurements. You'll probably feel a bit weird and a bit weaker as your body adjusts. Just make sure to lift some of you lifts heavy (like sets of 4-6) so your body knows it needs the muscle and doesn't decide to get rid of it instead of fat.

your strength will probably suffer in a calorie deficit, nothing you can do about that really. I wouldn't worry, get to the body comp. you want first THEN worry about getting strong. Pick one goal at a time.

And yeah some of the weight you'll have lost will be water weight, again don't worry too much about it. As long as the dude looking back at you in the mirror is getting leaner then you're all good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:59 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I always have this fear where if i put weight on it will be fat and if I drop weight it will be muscle. As someone with only 8 months exercise (all be it quite strict/regular) I worry that a large part (1/4 or somethin) could be lost by dropping weight too fast.

I suppose the best way to test this is to try keep my performance identical in the gym while decreasing in weight.

Mirror is looking favorable, lower pec area looking "sharp"er - no real ab definition yet but I'll put it down to being around 13-15% - im getting some random shapes like my hip area fat going (the footballer[...soccer] player v in lower abs) and sort of thumb size/shaped dips below my ribcage but in terms of overall look - dont wanna go much further, yet I want more fat loss - guess thats the hiit with a very small defecit that will have to do that.

Will stick it out anyway - not discouraged as much as a little worried at the 6-7lbs when I expected/was aiming for more like 3. I stress I am eating a lot, I guess if it keeps going I'll have to count calories and measurements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:19 pm 

you're doing fine, as long as you're limiting carbs and eating 'clean' 90% of the time you'll be grand