ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:50 am 
Novice
Novice

so i m considering taking testorterone booster pills...

what kind of pills out in the market gives me the best performance which doesnt have any caffeine in it (med issues, cant consume caffeine) and when and how many pills should i take? and is it good or bad to take post workout protein shake after using it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:52 pm 

What are "testosterone booster pills?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:17 pm 
Novice
Novice

pills that boost ur teatostrone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:24 pm 

frankie123 wrote:
pills that boost ur teatostrone
I wasn't being stupid; I understand the words. What substance(s) is(are) in said pills, and how do said substances purport to boost one's testosterone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:32 am 
Novice
Novice

I would be wary of any 'pro-hormone' type products, a lot of them, claim "steroid like effects" but most seem overrated having read other forums on the subject. A lot of people praise tribulus and biotest's alpha male but the money you could spend on these i think would be better put to use on ZMA and increasing saturated fat intake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:18 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Anyone tried foods or supplements that inhibit DHT/estrogenics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:10 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

How much testosterone enhancement can you really need, too? You're in your teens IIRC. You should be a raging mass of test right now, enough that I can 't see any pre-hormone products convincing your body to make more. If the do, your body might shut down your normal production because it doesn't need to waste time on stuff you're going to add anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

testosterone boosters don't add any hormones. They just make you produce more. They are not going to help a teen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:45 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

What about the other side, as I mentioned? I've heard mixed things regarding soy/flax/etc, but haven't seen any really detailed studies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:12 pm 

frogbyte wrote:
What about the other side, as I mentioned? I've heard mixed things regarding soy/flax/etc, but haven't seen any really detailed studies.

This has to do with phytoestrogens that are present in soy and flax. The jury is out on this. Some say it's a trivial effect, some say it's a positive effect. I think that if there is no compelling reason to eat flax or soy, I'll avoid it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:49 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I've been avoiding soy for that reason, and since going paleo. :-/ Soy is actually contraindicated for kids for that reason - there seems to be widespread agreement on that part at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:48 pm 

Jungledoc's interpretation of xsheanxearthx's meaning:

You are but a youth. Your body is making more testosterone right now than it ever will again in your life. You don't even know what is in the so-called "testosterone booster". You should forget such nonsense and concentrate on the basics of lifting big and eating right to take full advantage of the testosterone you have, rather than trying to take a silly supplement to try to get your body to make a little more.

He was being emphatic, not offensive. Other than the language, I agree with him.

Go lift some heavy stuff. Don't take testosterone boosters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:54 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
Jungledoc's interpretation of xsheanxearthx's meaning:

You are but a youth. Your body is making more testosterone right now than it ever will again in your life. You don't even know what is in the so-called "testosterone booster". You should forget such nonsense and concentrate on the basics of lifting big and eating right to take full advantage of the testosterone you have, rather than trying to take a silly supplement to try to get your body to make a little more.

He was being emphatic, not offensive. Other than the language, I agree with him.

Go lift some heavy stuff. Don't take testosterone boosters.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm 

Two biggest reasons people stay skinny:

Don't eat big

Don't lift big

Also, quit worrying about abs if you want to gain size and quit wasting money on supplements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:23 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:

This.

This is what I wanted to say. If I could pack on a significant amount of muscle and size at AGE THIRTY-EIGHT just by eating a bit more and doing basic lifts hard and heavy, why can't you do the same? There is roughly a 99% chance you've got more testosterone in your body than I have. I'm in the "too old" category. I do another sport that burns up calories like mad. I'm naturally skinny. I'm also very careful to avoid gaining too much body fat as I gain weight. Yet I still managed to get bigger without pro-hormone supplements.

You can go me one better.

Save your money. If you're going to spend it on anything, hire a good trainer, consult with a good nutritionist who knows how to get people big (John Berardi and Shelby Starnes spring to mind - and they're not that expensive), and go from there. They'll pay off more than any supplement possibly can...and you'll learn how to do it at will. Even steroids can't beat that.