ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:09 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
That's what John the Baptist ate. Of course, he added honey.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People Chow
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:35 am 
Offline
former lurker

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:59 am
Posts: 1
I'm new to this forum, found it via google "People Chow". I know it is an old topic, but I have had this idea for some time myself. I do think a great product could be developed (but why involve the government?!). It is such a great idea that private enterprise should be able to develop and sell this product with great success world wide. I think some of the recently developed protein bars are trying to get there. But this would be a completely healthy, tasty food that provides all the components that nutrition scientists identify as needed for a healthy human diet (assuming this is possible, which I think it is), and which has a reasonable shelf life not requiring refrigeration or cooking. Ideally there could be different "flavors" and as with pet foods, there probably would be an ingredient that makes it especially palatable. Correct serving size information would be provided.

Here is a list of potential uses in addition to the food stamp idea and others already mentioned:
- quick lunch or snack at work
- any meal when you don't have time to prepare something
- way better than any breakfast cereal on the market
- perfect diet food for weight control
- hiking/camping food
- emergency food when disasters strike
- the only food served in prisons


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People Chow
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:09 am 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 1354
Location: New York, USA
When a friend of mine came to the New York City area for the first time, I introduced him to the potato knish as a "food unit", which is how I've always thought of it. One square of food. Need more food? Consume more units. Need flavor? Add mustard.

_________________
Vague goals beget vague methods


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People Chow
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:17 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6418
Location: Halifax, NS
bbgrower wrote:
I'm new to this forum, found it via google "People Chow". I know it is an old topic, but I have had this idea for some time myself. I do think a great product could be developed (but why involve the government?!). It is such a great idea that private enterprise should be able to develop and sell this product with great success world wide. I think some of the recently developed protein bars are trying to get there. But this would be a completely healthy, tasty food that provides all the components that nutrition scientists identify as needed for a healthy human diet (assuming this is possible, which I think it is), and which has a reasonable shelf life not requiring refrigeration or cooking. Ideally there could be different "flavors" and as with pet foods, there probably would be an ingredient that makes it especially palatable. Correct serving size information would be provided.

Here is a list of potential uses in addition to the food stamp idea and others already mentioned:
- quick lunch or snack at work
- any meal when you don't have time to prepare something
- way better than any breakfast cereal on the market
- perfect diet food for weight control
- hiking/camping food
- emergency food when disasters strike
- the only food served in prisons


You could use Lara Bars, saurkraut or pemmican and all would work but they're completely different and would likely appeal to different people. If you have n nutritional experts, you will have n different opinions as to what constitutes a "healthy human diet ". The criteria "a reasonable shelf life not requiring refrigeration or cooking" eliminates almost all other healthy food.

_________________
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People Chow
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:25 pm 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 1354
Location: New York, USA
stuward wrote:
If you have n nutritional experts, you will have n different opinions as to what constitutes a "healthy human diet ".


Nope, n+1. They have to have a manager.

_________________
Vague goals beget vague methods


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People Chow
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:56 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6418
Location: Halifax, NS
KenDowns wrote:
stuward wrote:
If you have n nutritional experts, you will have n different opinions as to what constitutes a "healthy human diet ".


Nope, n+1. They have to have a manager.

And if you have m journalists, that makes (n+1)m possible interpretations of the perfect diet.

_________________
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People Chow
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:26 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am
Posts: 3986
Then lets say you have X people's comments on the journalists articles.

(n+1)mx

Then we can multiply by the value V I place in the commentary.

(n+1)mxv=0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People Chow
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:14 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
Yeah, but what about the experts who have more than one opinion? We can't all be internally-consistent all the time!

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People Chow
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:05 pm 
Offline
Associate Member
Associate Member

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 8:09 am
Posts: 339
Location: Buckhannon, WV
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/ ... s-obesity/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People Chow
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:26 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6418
Location: Halifax, NS
jlmoss wrote:
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/06/homeless-obesity/


"Potato chips and soda are relatively affordable, accessible and filling.

“You can buy calories very cheaply, but it’s hard to buy nutrition cheaply,”"

_________________
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People Chow
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:54 pm 
Offline
Associate Member
Associate Member

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 8:09 am
Posts: 339
Location: Buckhannon, WV
Sort of enforces the people chow thing. lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: People Chow
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:16 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
Here at our hospital we've just lately gotten something called "Plumpy Nut" bars. They have a consistency that is a little thicker than peanut butter, and a flavor that is mid-way between peanut butter and chewable vitamin tablets. Sort of chemically-tasting. They are intended to provide extra protein to kids who are protein-malnourished. They are supplied by the Clinton Foundation, in case anyone can think of a fitting joke at this point. There is very little calorie deficiency here, as there is plenty of rainfall and plenty of land for gardens. But some kids get plenty of calories from veggies, but little protein. Some kids seem to like the Plumpy Nut, others refuse it. It seems a bit like the People Chow idea, except that it's a bit heavy on the protein. Baby Chow.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group