Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:58 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hi -

Short version:
If I have quite an exhausting workout that leaves me somewhat dizzy and a bit spaced out - is it a good idea to counter the drop with pure refined sugar? is it a good time to sneak in a fanta or is this counter productive to a low carb fat loss diet?

Long version:
Today I did my usual session but I have been quite strict on low carb, my "cheats" are usually nothing more than a wrap for chicken, a wholemeal toast with PB or half a pint of milk with a shake instead of water.

Its finally been catching up with me it seems, when I failed my last three reps on my standard bench press today - I then intended do 15 minutes of HIIT (1:30 rest, 30 sprint - toward the end more like 2 rest, 20-30 sprint)

but after 5 minutes into my HIIT my heart started beating uncomfortably fast and I felt a small twinge and felt a touch feint (not much, I dont tend to exaggerate/underplay in my own opinion ofc, but could tell it would get worse) so I stopped.

I've come back to my desk now feeling like the session didnt go too well and I kinda blame the diet for it, since I've not had any other lifestyle changes (I eat decent quantities of protein and fats, almost a little much for fat loss sometimes) - I'm content with the fact this diet will have it's low parts and the kick to confidence when sets suffer a tad - my question is, do I counter these dips with fast simple carbs? or do I ride them out? - I dont want to pretend I know what im talking about by saying "its burning fat thats why im dizzy/weak" - I dont know whats going on in that dip - so I'd like someone who knows to advise me :)

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:42 am 

Most people recommend simple carbs after a workout. Personally I'd find it hard to drink a carbonated beverage after a workout (although I do sneak them in at other times I must admit), I don't see why it would be a big deal if its just a can or something. There are obviously better post workout drinks for simple carbs, but if it keeps ya from downing a liter later in the day, I don't see why not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:02 am 

In essence, I don't see the problem, but I think if you throw in the fact that you are trying to do a low carb fat loss diet, I think you have better options. I would recommend something more in the line of fruit. Conversely, if you want a soda (and I agree with Rucifer that there are better options), I think timing would be better to drink it during your session. You guys with more knowledge - correct me if I am wrong here:

Drinking the soda would be better just prior to or during your training. You have fast response glucose then available to help you train. If you drink it afterwords, if you don't have the energy need to balance the energy available, you will have a negative insulin response and the excess sugar will be converted into fat.

I'm not pimping ON's 2:1:1 recovery product, but I have found it helpful. I don't seem to lose the energy if I use it during my workouts.
http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/211-recovery-p-252.html I think it has a great macro-nutrient breakdown.

And on a side note, you will have days that just suck. After two great days of lifting this week, my military press day yesterd was dismal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:13 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

If you are trying to lose weight, I suggest avoiding the fanta. Eat other things that fill you more. Given that you are going to be tested with temptations to overeat, staying full is key. And 200 calories of sugar water is a big hit.

As far as the faintness, I went through it. Just watch out for yourself and make sure not to fall. sometimes, just water will help.

Good luck.

Last edited by ApolytonGP on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

I try to run 5 miles every week and on occasion I'll have a day where I just can't do it. This used to really bother me because I'd feel like I was losing progress but I think there are a lot of factors that could cause it and just see if you can do better next time. I really wouldn't let one day be the judge of your overall progress. I think it helps to get constant nutrition throughout the day but if you are asking if soft drinks would benefit you in any way I'd have to say "no".

That said, I'm on a different program. I only run weekly as I'm not trying to burn calories right now. I just run a constant 5 miles at 7.1MPH and I don't stop unless my heart goes above 190 (sometimes I'll even keep going but that probably isn't good). My doctor claims this is too high but I've never had a problem except dizziness like you say, or feeling like I might die at the end (also my arms sometimes go numb).

I'd just keep an eye on your heart rate so you know what to expect and if you are seeing it is too high (compared to normal) you could slow down or stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:05 pm 

If you are feeling dizzy or feel like fainting on a regular basis, you are doing something wrong. Most likely some sort of nutritional deficiency if it's not some sort of medical problem. Don't just try to "work through it"- figure out the cause and rectify it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:16 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

If you're in heavy calorie deficit, like a very obese person losing weight, as I was, it is very common. Read the message boards on NS, google it, etc. Most cases, you're body will get used to it. I think a lot of it is an adjustment to low carbs and the loss of glycogen (even carb-including low-cal diets will still give you some carb withdrawal since you were eating way more when fat). Good chance you can get used to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:17 pm 

ApolytonGP wrote:
If you're in heavy calorie deficit, like a very obese person losing weight, as I was, it is very common.

Hence, my comment, doing something wrong. The occasional heavy calorie deficit day here and there is ok, but you should not be doing it everyday. That's your body's way of telling you that you're doing something wrong. You should listen to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:52 pm 

Robert, what do you do for pre-workout? A shake? Any carbs?

If you are going to have simple carbs, just before, during and right after wo is the time to have it. I agree that a whole can of pop isn't the best way, but if you are feeling faint and hypoglycemic, getting a little carb in is the right thing to do. If you were at work, there might not have been anything else available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

Rucifer wrote:
Hence, my comment, doing something wrong. The occasional heavy calorie deficit day here and there is ok, but you should not be doing it everyday. That's your body's way of telling you that you're doing something wrong. You should listen to it.

If someone is trying to lose weight, calorie deficit is kinda the goal.

While it's not good to cut too many calories out of the diet too fast all at once, your goal is still to burn more calories than you consume.

I think it makes sense to just ride it out... Just make sure you are getting enough protein (which isn't a problem at all, reading the diet plan) and enough vitamins throughout the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ricky wrote:
Rucifer wrote:

If someone is trying to lose weight, calorie deficit is kinda the goal.

While it's not good to cut too many calories out of the diet too fast all at once, your goal is still to burn more calories than you consume.

I think it makes sense to just ride it out... Just make sure you are getting enough protein (which isn't a problem at all, reading the diet plan) and enough vitamins throughout the day.

I think that is what they were talking about. Dropping intake by a large amount all at once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:21 pm 
Novice
Novice

Ironman wrote:
I think that is what they were talking about. Dropping intake by a large amount all at once.

It is a legitimate concern. If too many calories are cut out your body is going to say "Oh, s*** -- I better start storing this stuff" and that's what you don't want. I would think it would be normal to feel faint or dizzy while running after cutting calories, though. Like I said, I get that way sometimes when I run as it is, with 6000+ Kcal/day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:53 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Something I came across on Stronglifts while reading up on the Anabolic diet:

Quote:
- High intensity interval training also relies on carbs for energy. Bad idea on the Anabolic Diet since it depletes your carb stores too fast. Midweek carb loading can help if you must do HIIT on top of lifting.

http://stronglifts.com/anabolic-diet-hacking-midweek-24-hour-carb-loading/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

When you run and you don't have enough carbs to use as energy, doesn't your body just start burning fat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:46 am 

Ricky wrote:
When you run and you don't have enough carbs to use as energy, doesn't your body just start burning fat?

It depends if your body has transitioned to burning fat. This normally takes about 3 weeks of being on a low carb diet. People who are not, will "hit the wall". Even if you are on a low carb diet, it depends on how hard you're going. Having carbs while in a competition situation would give you an advantage. Fat burning works at a slower pace than carb burning but can continue much longer.