ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:33 pm 
Offline
Novice
Novice
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:07 am
Posts: 66
Location: San Francisco
stuward wrote:
It depends if your body has transitioned to burning fat. This normally takes about 3 weeks of being on a low carb diet. People who are not, will "hit the wall". Even if you are on a low carb diet, it depends on how hard you're going. Having carbs while in a competition situation would give you an advantage. Fat burning works at a slower pace than carb burning but can continue much longer.


Out of curiosity, when you say "hit the wall" what do you mean? Actually going hypoglycemic and passing out?

On a related note, I highly do NOT recommend going to an all-you-can-eat Indian buffet and then running a few hours later. I had 2 plates piled with food and then 2 bowls of rice pudding and some galub jamun (a traditional dessert).

I had indigestion pretty bad but I tried my best to keep it under control. I felt like I couldn't make it but I just kept pushing myself and made the whole 5 miles. I felt dizzy/faint at the last mile but my heart was at 187 (this is about normal for me around that time).

I've had this happen before when I ate a lot of pizza with hot sauce. I eat a *lot* of spicy food so it usually doesn't bother me but I should probably keep it in mind next time I run ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:43 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6418
Location: Halifax, NS
Ricky wrote:
...
Out of curiosity, when you say "hit the wall" what do you mean? Actually going hypoglycemic and passing out?
...


It's something like that. Sometimes it called "bonking". Most don't actually pass out but there comes a point where it's just becomes harder to move, like you just threw out an acnchor. It doesn't happen for everyone it happens usually after a couple hours of effort. People take gel packs during long races now to prevent that. Low carbers don't have to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_the_wall


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:25 am 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm
Posts: 4424
as I understand it, when marathon runners talk about "hitting the wall" it means all the glycogen in your muscles has run out. Supposed to be a pretty rough feeling.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:26 am 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm
Posts: 4424
ah and now I see that Stu already posted a link that tells you that. Well, I guess my work here is done.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:54 pm 
Offline
Novice
Novice
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:07 am
Posts: 66
Location: San Francisco
Interesting, thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:43 am 
Offline
Associate Member
Associate Member

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:16 am
Posts: 459
Sorry for the hit and run had a good weekend and forgot to checkup on answers:

Great info guys thanks - the HIIT was to test if I had transitioned properly as I had been on it three weeks, I think an extra week without hiit this week.

Hoose - Ok thanks - I'll aim for a tropicana orange which I miss anyway. And yea I guess this was a pretty bad session but gotta deal with it. Stuward recently said I'll be ok without a recovery drink I assume because I am on carbs after gym session.

Apolyton GP - I don't think I get temptations to over-eat, I have 6-7 meals and am often leaving 20% of big meals (mom cooks the meal, she can't accept going from 3/4 meals to 6-7 means smaller portions :) )

Ricky - sounds like a great idea actually - I'll see if that uncomfortable feeling happens again and monitor where my heart is at, that way I can ensure I calm down when I approach it.

Rucifer - I eat quite well IMO, there's a link to my diet in the text in my post and I don't deviate from it much - I have friends who think fasting without education is a good idea but I go more with the approach of staying full and working from there (eat good foods, plenty of them, if no loss then lower cals) - but your logic is sound, something must have been off. It certainly is not regular anyway so I'm not worried.

Jungledoc -
It can vary a bit, usually I'll have my x3 eggs for breakfast and by 10am I'll eat some nuts/shake(whey)/cheese portion and possibly berries (these are a bit random in terms of what combination, sometimes all, sometimes 1) - I guess with it being strict I should perhaps have the fats earlier and the sugars closer to the session?

The main thing for me to stress is that; if this drop was due to low calories or me doing something wrong (calorie/balance wise), I'd be very suprised - The second I get hungry I have fats to hand (nuts/cheese), I have whey protein which I use regularly, I don't let myself get hungry, my mom cooks (well might I add) my evening meals which include dense greens and regular fish meals etc etc I could go on... - I regularly mock my friend who complains about his belly fat not going despite loosing lots of weight, because he has 2 fruit all day then pasta at night, he wont listen... not even with the sumo wrestler examples :)

Thanks for your help guys - I'll take away the message of use fruit instead of trash and if it happens again use more or throw in a small amount more carbs before my sessions.

Getting pretty sick of x3 eggs for breakfast anyway hehe - I'll go three more weeks on this low carb jazz see where my BF% is (want around 13%) then its back on the porridge for breakfast (and back to 17% BF in 2 weeks ;) )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:34 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6418
Location: Halifax, NS
RobertB wrote:
...Hoose - Ok thanks - I'll aim for a tropicana orange which I miss anyway. And yea I guess this was a pretty bad session but gotta deal with it. Stuward recently said I'll be ok without a recovery drink I assume because I am on carbs after gym session.

...


Just so there's no confusion, Protein + Carbs is better after a workout than just carbs. The protein will help maintain muscle. There is no need for a specialized recovery drink on top of the other carbs but a protein shake or snack will help.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:09 am 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Posts: 1996
Location: Texas
Sorry, I wasn't pimping ON's product. I just like the macronutrient breakdown and the convenience.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:21 am 
Offline
Associate Member
Associate Member

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:16 am
Posts: 459
stuward wrote:
RobertB wrote:
...Hoose - Ok thanks - I'll aim for a tropicana orange which I miss anyway. And yea I guess this was a pretty bad session but gotta deal with it. Stuward recently said I'll be ok without a recovery drink I assume because I am on carbs after gym session.

...


Just so there's no confusion, Protein + Carbs is better after a workout than just carbs. The protein will help maintain muscle. There is no need for a specialized recovery drink on top of the other carbs but a protein shake or snack will help.


Ok cheers - Theres a few random whey shakes going about in the day anyway and I nearly always have typical meats available right after the gym (meat salad/meat pasta)

To clarify too:
I know one can of soda once a month isnt a big deal, I am refering to those particularly bad sessions which dont/shouldnt happen too often (failed sets, weak cardio etc). The question was more "is this the way to approach it" - in other words, is my body demanding fuel but not ready to use fat properly and telling me "refined carbs... now please" - its that fight I was curious about, do you train the body by saying "unlucky, learn to use fat" or do you be sensible and do as your body demands (give it the sugar).

But these have already been answered - thanks :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:42 pm 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:46 pm
Posts: 1455
Anecdotally, I've never noticed a any of that "wall" stuff. Ie, I've never seen any difference in workouts shortly after high-carb days.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group