ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:36 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I think I will slightly modify my progressions for lifts where the jumps in weight are very large weight wise (essentially all my rotator cuff stuff). will start using added reps to allow smaller jumps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:08 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm thinking about adding some legs stuff. I just don't get tired the same way with legs as arms. I'm hurting after 12 sets of HIT for arms. But legs, not really.

Wish I could tolerate squats or deads, but I've had knee problems twice, that took me out of biking (unsat).

Maybe add those things where you fall down? Or those things where you pull the weight towards you. [I'll probably eventually try a leg press or squat machine again (feet high, straight ahead, seems to hurt knee less).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:10 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Try some or all of:

Bulgarian Split-Squats
Step ups
Lunges
Split squats
Sled dragging
Stability ball leg curls
Band TKEs
Plate drag w/heel
Romanian Deadlifts
Stiff-legged deadlifts

You've got a lot of options, and if you vary up the depth of RDLs, the height of step ups or depth of Bulgarian split squats, the length of stride on sled drags, etc. I've got a bad knee - torn ligament, various patella issues - but I was able to figure out what hurts, and what doesn't, through process of elimination. Just take it easy and find something you can load and train hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:56 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

makes sense. I will try to play with the glute/quad (knee extension) type stuff to see what is tolerated. On the hammie dominant (knee flexion) type stuff, I think I will add that compound with the cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:31 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I tried straight ahead feet high squats on the squat machine. Felt the same tingle in my knees as last time (when it flared up bad and kept me from biking). Might try the Smith or LP as I can get even more of a feet in front angle.

Did the leg rows (whatever they're called). Very interesting. Felt it more in the ab (hip flexor) than elsewhere. Wanted to be hitting the hammie too, but didn't feel it there. Still, I think I like it...

Felt good to do a little more, but I gotta figure out a better knee extension compound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:34 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

BTW, I really hate that people can't comment in my logs. If I had the problem of someone commenting too much, that would be like too much sex. Not the current problem. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:08 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I took a month off to try to heal up shoulder and knee. Does not seem to have helped much so am back to working out. Did a week of light legs cardio and legs lifting (reset little lower). Went OK.

Tried arms for first time today, reset more. Seemed to go OK except some more tight pec feeling on either side, especially after last tough rep on dips or pulldowns. Should be able to train some, maybe reset even more.

Staying away from swimming for now (wish I could, love that so much, just really think that shoulder can not take that).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:16 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I tried out two different trainers for advice on shoulder scap stabilization. They had some differences and some overlaps. One of them wrote me this program:

Scapular Stabilization exercises
5-10 min on Row Machine for warm up
Internal Rotation – 3 sets, 10-12 repetitions
External Rotation – 3 sets, 10-12 repetitions
Single arm cable extension (instead of modified lat pull down exercise you were doing previously) – 3 sets, 10-12 repetitions
Static Planks – 3 sets, 30s, 60s, 90s (Keep your form).

For every chest (push) exercise, we went over a back (pull exercise). I think this will be good to loosen up those pec muscles and front deltoids.
RED = pull
PURPLE = push
Dumbbell fly on fitness ball – 8lbs (make sure fitness ball is in the center of the upper back); 3 sets, 15 repetitions.
Reverse dumbbell fly – 5lbs (on bench, thumbs pointed toward the ceiling); 3 sets, 15 repetitions
Front raise to military press – 12lb Body Bar (blue one), 4 sets, 10 repetitions
Hammer strength high row (in Free Weight room)– 60 lbs, 4 sets, 15 repetitions
Incline bench (Free Weight Room)– 45lbs (bar only), 4 sets, 15 -20 repetitions
Wide grip seated row (Free Weight Room) – 45 lbs, 4 sets, 15 repetitions
Dynamic hand pushups – starting in the push up position, with absolute control, lower your right arm down to a plank position with your left arm following. Then starting with your right arm, push yourself back up to the push up position. Repeat, alternating the arm that lowers first each time. Do this 5 times for 3 sets.
Lat Pulldown – 75 lbs; 4 sets, 15 repetitions

------------------------

I'm going to tweak this just a little, add a couple exercises the other gal recommended. And come up with difinitive rep counts (hate imprecision).

She wants me to run this for a while instead of my normal (heavier, less reps) arms stuff. Will do.

The other gal gave me some stretchs to do, need to get them into my every day program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:33 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I think I am going to try something like this in terms of a weekly workout schedule

Lift:
none(swim)
arms rehab
legs
none(swim)
arms rehab
legs
none

Miscelaneous light legs-based cardio everyday except rest day.

The swimming is light and was advised to try getting back to it to help shoulder.

Alternatively, I could do something like this:
arms
legs
arms
legs
arms
legs
rest

either not swimming or doing it on legs days. Possibly even do the above and only do 2 legs days. Advantage would be to do the arms rehab stuff 3 days a week..

Hmm...