ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:59 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hi,

My question is, does the protein in the ingredients i put in, hold its protein quantity,quality and usability after baking?

I ask this because i've been thinking of baking things so i can put everything together in one structure to eat rather than to eat everything separately for more convenience.

E.g
If i designed a meal that has all this:
chick peas
1 egg
milk
oat bran
tuna
cheese

It would be more convenient to plop the 1 egg, milk, oats and chick pea flour into a recipe for a bread and eat that bread with tuna and cheese. This would be a lot better for me since it would be impossible to eat all separately if i were working outside on a job.

So the main concern would be if i do this would things like the chick pea flour especially, milk oats hold it protein usability and quality, quantity when baked? (and even other nutrients, protein being most concerned.)

I'm just worried because i found some places on google which said if you bake protein powder it will become useless which got me thinking... I don't want to making something like this and finding out it pretty much didn't add to my nutrient breakdown.

Ok, i've tried the best i could to describe my situation because i am very bad at explaining things so hope someone can understand me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:24 am 

In general, protein is more usable when cooked. (With the minor exception of cysteine) Most whey powder is already "cooked" (denatured) so it's not going to change much. It certainly won't become useless. The chick peas, oats and eggs will all improve in general as they contain anti-nutrients that are reduced when cooked.

I like the idea of making your own convenience food. You know what's in it and you control the process so you know what you're getting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:33 am 
Novice
Novice

Cooking is fine, despite what some health food nuts will say. Keep in mind these are the same people that will think cheesecake is healthy if you tell them it is organic.

We don't absorb whole proteins; they get broken down in the stomach by pepsin and further in the intestines by pancreatic enzymes into free amino acids which are later either broken down or polymerized into new proteins.

The heat will only denature the proteins (like stuward said) and if anything that will make it easier to digest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:47 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I forgot to mention that i was not really concerned about the cooking part, just that i know there is some kind of reaction that happends with the protein in the flours during baking. But since no one mentions that i guess its the same thing as cooking.

Thanks for your replies :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:00 am 

Silhorn wrote:
I forgot to mention that i was not really concerned about the cooking part, just that i know there is some kind of reaction that happends with the protein in the flours during baking. But since no one mentions that i guess its the same thing as cooking.

I'm sorry. What is "the same thing as cooking"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:20 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
Silhorn wrote:

I'm sorry. What is "the same thing as cooking"?

Baking.