ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:19 am 
former lurker

Ive been reading this site for a few years now and it has aided in much of my weight loss. Unfortunatley, ever time I get within ten pounds of my goal I always seem to rock back up about 20 lbs!

Ive recently started working at UPS outside loading and unloading packages. Its a very active job and I was told id be losing weight working there. ive been trying to eat several small meals throughout the day and not eat out at fast food resturants. I go to the gym for a little while after work a few times a week. (but i do active work about 7 hours a day already)

However, Im gaining weight. I get on the scale everyday and it will nudge up several pounds at a time. And my clothes are tighter and tigther everyday so its not muscle gain or anything like that. My question is, if im more active and eating better, what would explain this constant weight GAIN instead of loss or at least staying the same?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:55 am 
n00b
n00b

Hello there,

I don't know if you've heard any of the following info but here goes..

1. Try cutting out carbs after lunch time, ie. no carbs for tea.
2. What is you % body fat? You may be gaining weight but it may be muscle and not fat, so by keeping track of your body fat will give a clearer picture of what is happening.
3. Your new job may result in weight loss initially but your body will get used to it. Try doing cardio before breakfast as your glyogen stores will be low and you'll burn more fat.
4. If eating well and exercise still don't work see your doctor as you may have an underactive thyroid gland resulting in a slow metabolism. (I did and now take thyroxine that solved the problem).
5. Pick up some weights?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:52 pm 
former lurker

Going to the gym, lifting weights as ive always done, but my clothes are just getting tighter and tighter. But maybe I should be watching my carbs and such better, or look into the thyroid thing.

Thanks for your sugesttion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:59 pm 

Try a journal to see what you are really eating. Unexplained weight loss and gain is also a symptom of other problems (diabetes). You might want to talk to your doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:23 pm 
n00b
n00b

Yeah, maybe you should go to the doc and explain the problem. He or she will probably recommend a series of tests. Thyroid function is a simple blood test and diabeities involves having a drink that tastes just like icing sugar. They give you a blood test before the drink, then you have to hang around for around 2 hours after the drink when they test you again to see how your body reacts to the glucose.
It will be best IMO to rule out any medical reason for your weight gain by being checked out before making any changes to your diet and exercise habits.
Even if it comes back negative, (and I hope it does), at least then you can move forward and make any changes necessary.

Look at these two links and see if you recognise any of the symptoms:

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/ar ... icleID=206

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/ar ... icleID=128

all the best.