ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Squat Pain
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:05 am 
former lurker

Hi,

Today, as I was working out, I decided to go ahead and do a couple of sets of barbell back squats. I was using pretty light weight but after the 3rd set or so, I was feeling some pain in my lower back that made me stop. I'm not sure if this was an injury or just my lower back was fatigued from doing rows the day prior. So I decided to switch to doing barbell front squats, under the hope that it was easier on my back. I am pretty new to front squats, and it seems that every single time I do them (I do them bodybuilding style, with my arms crossed over the bar), my right shoulder seems to hurt.

My question is, how do I know if my lower back pain is from an injury or just from muscle fatigue? I currently don't feel any pain, but my back doesn't feel all quite there. I am pretty long and lanky, so my backsquats tend to lean in a bit on the lowest part of the lift. Also, am I performing the front squats incorrectly? Is my shoulder pain (which I am currently feeling) inherent to the movement itself or just poor techinque? Also, should I try to encorporate reverse hypers and good mornings in my routine to improve my lower back strength and endurance? For back exercises I only do weighted pullups, dumbell rows, and deadlifts.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:01 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

I would recommend that you speak to a sports physician and/or a personal trainer about your problem. It's hard to diagnose a problem long distance.

Many people have weak lower back muscles, so your addition of movements to strengthen them is a smart strategy. Do you feel lower back pain when doing the hyperextensions? If the back pain isn't constant, your back issue might be minor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:36 am 
former lurker

My lower back pain isnt constant. It's only after a couple sets in where it starts to feel sore. However, the pain in my right shoulder from doing front squats is constant. Should I avoid the exercise all together or try to correct my technique?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:33 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I agree with Stephen and seek out a qualified professional. Its sound slike you have a postural deviation that begins with tightnes and weakness through the lumbar spine and effects the scapula.