ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:46 am 
Novice
Novice

i usually eat a bowl of brown rice with something added (usually chicken) for lunch and have tried to cut out bread as much as possible.

but is there really a huge dfference in how the body reacts between eating brown/wholemeal foods such as pasta, rice and bread rather than white?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:58 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

There's the whole glycemic index thing for whole wheat versus refined flours. I find that if I eat low GI, that I have less tendancy to binge. Calories is calories though.

Last edited by ApolytonGP on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:30 am 

There is a big difference because ultimately the hormonal response will determine if your more likely to store or utilise stores. White food = higher glycaemic index = higher blood glucose concentration = more insulin secretion = promotion of fat storage/glucose storage/protein synthesis, inhibition of fat oxidation/glycogenolysis.

So depending on your goals and whether you want to be in a catabolic or anabolic state should depend on what hormonal response you want.

This is why high GI foods are generally recommended after training (not necessarily during fat loss).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:58 am 

There are some benefits to whole grains over white grains and there are some negatives such as higher antinutrient levels in whole grains. Brown rice is marginally better than white rice and marginally inferior to potatos and vastly inferior to any fibrous vegetable or meat.

Your body treats all grains like sugar, it's just a matter of how fast or how slow the insulin response is.

Edit: From a GI point of view, brown rice and white rice are about the same. They are lower than potatoes. You have to consider the entire nutritional package. Opt for brocolli or spinach instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:32 am 
Novice
Novice

thanks guys thats great,

i'm not lifting much at the moment due to an ongoing and very annoying shoulder injury. so i'm just hitting the HIIT and cycling everywhere. just want to keep the fat at bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:56 am 

Grifftan wrote:
thanks guys thats great,

i'm not lifting much at the moment due to an ongoing and very annoying shoulder injury. so i'm just hitting the HIIT and cycling everywhere. just want to keep the fat at bay.

If you want to keep fat at bay, skip the rice (and all grains) all together. This is especially true if you're relatively inactive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:51 am 

I wonder how often the anti-nutrients in whole grains prevents the body from absorbing the key nutrients like iron and calcium, etc. Especially if the bulk of your foods are whole grains. I think past human civilization, grains were prepared different and the effect is supposedly neutralized when soaking grains and legumes. I think this would be especially concerning regarding female vegetarians, who are told to eat eat eat whole grain products vs white. Vegetarians seem more likely to believe that long distance running is the best form of exercise too...which even furthers the problem. I wouldn't even mention this but I just heard not too long ago that vegetarians are increasing rapidly in the past couple years.