ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deadlifts
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:15 am 
n00b
n00b

Ive been doing deadlifts with dumb bells , its not real heavy yet as im focusing on form. The thing that im finding is holding on to the Dumbells as i up the wieght becomes difficult( ive got a strong grip ). Also i dont feel like im working the muscles in my butt , but the the muscles in the front of my legs, how can i improve on this? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:48 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

If you're having problems with your grip going out you might want to invest in some hooks. One of the best weightlifting purchases I've ever made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:05 am 
Novice
Novice

Hook grip, hook grip, hook grip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:15 am 

Deadlifts do not really work the butt unless you take a pretty wide stance and get your butt low to start the pull (aka sumo deadlifts).

If you have a strong grip as you say, then you shouldnt have a problem. My guess is, you may have a strong crushing grip or some other form of grip strength while having poor isometric strength (just holding a weight). You can fix this by just holding for time etc. There is no one grip strength; there are various types and they can be trained separately.

Hook grip is good but can be painful to learn and if you want grip strength anyway, you might as well practice that as well until you start deadlifting 200+ lb dumbbells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:21 pm 
n00b
n00b

zeratum wrote:
If you're having problems with your grip going out you might want to invest in some hooks. One of the best weightlifting purchases I've ever made.

I agree. I don't care if other people think it's cheating, I can dramatically increase weight and muscular overload on deadlifts and shrugs by using hooks.

It would be a shame for my back and legs to be weaker and smaller due to my grip.

Don't go cheap on hooks, though. I found some good ones here...

http://www.prowriststraps.com/weight_li ... ook_straps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

I was able to learn the hook grip fast, and it helped a lot. Now I only need straps on shoulder shrugs, but no longer on deadlifts. What helped? A nice set of batting gloves. They have added cushioning along the joints and along the length of the thumb, which helps the hook grip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:48 pm 

Well that is true but that doesn't help people that want to strengthen their grip or compete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:24 pm 
Novice
Novice

Just pointing out that I didn't jump into the hook grip without some equipment. It's not that easy to learn as it is.

For my grip I like standing pronated EZ curl bar (behind the back) wrist curls rolling down the length of the finger.

His exercise is probably difficult because not using the hook grip and continuously holding the dumbbells in that way is tiring. The grip doesn't get a chance to rest at all during the motion. As compared to say, BB curls. I found personally that the hook grip helped with a BB but helped astronomically more with DBs. They feel light as a feather. I'm not sure why the slight desparity exists actually.