Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

robertscott wrote:
that's more about the style of the trousers young man, don't tell me you wear skin-tight jeans?

Ha, no chance. I couldn't and wouldn't. Due to my thighs and glutes, 'straight leg' is 'tight'. In some shops, you know, the really expensive ones like Primark, I can't buy jeans out of there anymore. I need wide-leg and a waist size or 2 too big, although it depends where I get them. My height (being short) makes this more of a problem than it needs to be, though.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:22 am 

nevage: yeah we're similar ages and build, but want to be freaky ripped. Freaky! Really just to see if I can. I don't think I'll try the anabolic diet for a bit yet though, probably once I get to about 190lbs i think. If I keep gaining the way I am that'll be a couple of months into next year. I also have a strength target in mind before I seriously commit to a fat loss diet. Until then I'll keep doing what I'm doing now and keep my carbs around breakfast or the workout window to see how that works out.

KPj: you and those glutes of yours, how's the beyonce tribute drag act coming on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:43 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Nevage wrote:
frogbyte wrote:
I do cycle in some carbs every 6-12 days (usually 9 days), but I always do it after a deadlift or squat day. I don't understand the point of just randomly spiking your insulin on the weekend - it seems arbitrary?
It's to replenish glycogen stores. The logic is if you're working out during the week, by the weekend a carb up will be advantageous to the follwing weeks training. The fact that it's on the weekend is lifestyle choice.

Well I certainly couldn't care less about weekend lifestyle if that's the only reason. I see the point of occasional high carb for energy, but if you're going to spike your insulin at all, everything points to doing it right around workout time.

The weekend thing just seems like a goofy way of trying to get people to stick to a schedule and not cheat...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:47 pm 

Yeah I think it's a bit of a selling point of the book. Most casual gym goers would like the whole weekend thing especially for motivation. For me the weekend was fine because I'm out every weekend so not worrying about what I eat and drinking beer was good! But now I'm training 4 times a week, I'm having my carb days around the workouts I need them/workouts I wanna concentrate more on. But I'm still only having 2 carb days a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:23 am 

the carbs at the weekend is a MASSIVE plus point for me! Means I'm allowed to eat junk food with my mates and go out for dinner with my girlfriend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:34 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I thought the carb up 48 hours - 5 days apart was kinda the whole point.

If you indroduce carbs every couple of days for example, you'll break out of fat burning state, basically telling the body it's okay to expect carbs for fuel.

The weekend carb up is supposed to be brief enough to stop this from happening. The fact that it fits into 'weekend life style' is just a bonus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:06 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm with them on keeping carb intake more than a few days apart. That makes perfect logical sense. It's just the arbitrary nature of it being on weekends that always seemed unjustified, but I think robertscott's reasoning is apparently on the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:50 am 

To begin with I think the carb days should be after a while of no carbs but now I think I've adapted enough that one day of no carbs brings me back. On holiday I ate whatever I felt like for 10 days, it took me about 2 days of no carbs to get back to a ketogenic state (I get a sick breath and really grainy teeth). At the beginning, I used to have to go no carb for about 10 days before that happened.

At the moment I'm giving myself Saturday to carb up, Sun-Wed no carbs, Thurs carb up. Training Mon/Tues/Thurs/Sat, the Thurs and Sat being the most vigurous workouts and muscles I want to concentrate on. It's not optimal for fat loss but I'm looking for a bit of mass now without gettng too fat.

Post subject: Re: anabolic diet
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:32 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Just read this thread

robertscott wrote:
who's on it? And is it working for you? How do you find training without carbs pre/post workout, by which i mean what are your energy levels like in the gym? What do you think are the advantages over daily carb cycling (ie having carbs around the workout window)? And are there any downsides you've experienced?

Thanks in advance
Bobby

I've tried it for about 6 weeks. I felt better in the gym without carbs - my energy levels never dropped off toward the end. I also felt really good in general. At this point though, I'm going to go do gomad and eat a ton since the strength gains seem slow on the AD. It's something I'll definitely come back to when I feel more like maintaining strength and feeling really healthy.