ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: butt muscle
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:27 am 
n00b
n00b

I dont like useing machines , but preffer free wieghts . Whats the best excecise for the butt. I've been doing over head squats (not heavy yet) but they seem to work the upper - outter part pf my butt. whats the best (whole butt)excercise , if its back squats what should my stance be like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:39 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

You'll probably get a wide variety of answers, but I'd say any squatting exercise, or lifting something up off the ground, like a deadlift, clean, or snatch.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Make sure you go all the way down to parallel when you squat. That seems to work pretty good. Deadlifts get it better if you go low. Like use all 25's or lift off a box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:15 am 

Tim is bang on. Ironman is 3/4 right ;). Go ass cheeks to ankles (below parallel) if you are able.

Lifting any heavy, bulky, awkward odd shaped object from the ground, where you squat to pick it up to a standing position, work nicely.

If i may ask - why the facination with the butt muscle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Also try lunges! They toast the glutes. You could also try stepping down from a box to the sides and alternating. (hold a plate or medicine ball for weight.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:28 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Well, I don't really know what its called, but if you go on all fours, and lift your leg to the side like a dog peeing, then kick your leg back (in a combined motion) you will get a crazy workout...try them...maybe someone here knows what Im talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If he can do full squats that would be better. Most people can't do them though. People who can do them, might need to in order to get the glutes. I don't know though. I am not flexible enough to do them myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:03 am 
n00b
n00b

Ive got a good range of movement , i just find doing stairs or hill sprints works the butt better. The reason im intrested in developing Gluts( i think there called )is because ive read its a big muscle wich will help me be more explosive. I was doing normal squats with a pretty narrow stance today and found they worked better , then over head squats ( maybe cause i can lift more wieght?) thanks for the info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:14 am 
n00b
n00b

what do you mean by full squat , is it like they show in the clips on the excecise section? i get real low as i do them but i find that , i can get lowest when i bend from the knees rather then focus on bending from the hips. If i do it how they say , as if i was sitting back into a chair (bend from hips)i can get my butt just below parallel . But if do it the way you see some asians squat(from the knee's) i can get lower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:24 am 
Novice
Novice

I like the stiff legged deadlifts for the glutes and for your situation too because they'll keep the hamstrings very stong hand in hand with the glutes. The squats will then keep the quads strong hand in hand with the glutes also. To be more explosive all those work together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

To add on to trillian's suggestion of lunges try multi-directional lunges (lunging 45 degrees off center, then center, center for other leg, and 45 the other way with other leg) \ | | / looks like that kinda. On leg days I do that I have trouble sitting to use the restroom my glutes are so sore. Also I've had success with deep snatch grip deads (stand on a couple of plates) if I really focus on resetting and dropping my butt before I lift.