ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:35 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

sprint intervals, or just pick up something heavy and walk as far as you can. Do that a few times it'll build muscle all over and you'll lose enough fat to be able to see your abs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:40 am 

It is perfectly reasonable that you should be able to develop maintain a good level of fitness with minimal equipment at home. william22 gave some good ideas but it's organized funny.

You will need some basic equipment. A chin up bar is essential. You also need a chair or stool and something heavy like a rock or duffle bag or weighted backpack. Almost everything else is optional.

Design your routine around the basic movements, squat, deadlift, vertical push, vertical pull, horizontal push and horizontal pull. Single joint movements are done after if you want but are not required if you do all of the above. I include Ab work in with that last group but it's easy to add in so I'll give you some ideas.

Sequence your program in a cycle sort of like this: squat/push/pull/deadlift/push/pull/isolation.

Squats: Start with body weight free squats. As you're able, progress through split squats, step ups and one legged squats.

Vertical push: V push ups, rock presses, handstands, handstand push ups.

Vertical pulls: chin ups with various grips, and add weight when they're to easy. If they're to hard put one foot on a chair.

Deadlift: one legged dealift or dufflebag deadlifts. You can also anchor your feet and do hamstring curls, also know as Glute/Ham Raises or face plants depending on your ability.

Horizontal push: Push ups. You can make them harder by elevating the feet, easier by elevating the hands or bending the knees. Adding the backpack also helps make them harder.

Horizontal pull: Using a low mounted chin up bar, do inverted rows. Bent rows with a duffle bag are also an option.

Abs, You need to work them harder to build muslce. Try hanging leg raises. Ab rollout are also good but requires some extra equipment.

I hope this helps. The rep/set and other considerations are no different than in the gym.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:05 am 

In addition to what's been said, find a playground. There's usually little kids playing on playgrounds and running and catching them and tossing them around is a workout within itself.......

Ok but really, all sorts of things you can typically do at a playground. Pull ups/dips, using the monkey bars are all great for upper body. Usually pretty easy to have room to sprint around, do some height jumps onto benches and whatnot, and things of that nature. You can even do some bodyweight circuit training. Of course this wont build an extreme amount of muscle, but I'm sure your kids will appreciate you taking them to the playground a lot ;). Oh and car pushes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:28 am 

Rucifer wrote:
In addition to what's been said, find a playground. There's usually little kids playing on playgrounds and running and catching them and tossing them around is a workout within itself.......

The subsequent jail time will be great for calorie restriction too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:10 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

frigginwizard wrote:
Rucifer wrote:

Most jails have pretty good gyms too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:34 pm 

Rik-Blades wrote:
frigginwizard wrote:
Rucifer wrote:

And some of the inmates are pretty experienced lifters.

I saw an article once, maybe it was from one of the muscle magazines (which I don't read, so it must have been on line) where they went to the local state pen and interviewed the biggest lifter there asking about his training methods. Really high volume. Without anything else to do he lifted every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:35 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Rik-Blades wrote:
frigginwizard wrote:
Rucifer wrote:

I should just break the law, enough to do some jail time for like a winter, free food, free shelter and you instantly get ripped because you have too, its like evolution lmfao.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:37 pm 

Actually, playing with kids can be a pretty good workout. You can use them for weights for squats, etc. But, because of the issues raised above, it's best to use your own, or at least some who are in some way related to you, or from whose parents you can secure clear permission to assault them, and whose parents won't suspect you of being a weirdo. Of course, if you are a weirdo you probably shouldn't ask people who know you well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:55 pm 

This is sort of off topic, but considering this is the off topic forum and the question should have been asked in the general forum anyway, why do we give prison inmates access to equipment that will turn them into behemoths? We should be emasculating them by making them knit in their spare time or something. And the only exercise they should be allowed is aerobics class type cardio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:25 pm 

We oughtta have a sticky about BW and other ways to work out without traditional equipment. Links and original ideas both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:07 am 

Doc, I know the OP is gone but I was poking around the main site and ran across this:

http://www.exrx.net/Questions/BasicProgram.html

It's seems to be geared towards older beginners but is a good place to start. Many of the exercises I listed were for people already training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:29 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

What ever happened to that guy that was in prison and disappointed cause he only squatted like 750 pounds...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:38 pm 

frogbyte wrote:
What ever happened to that guy that was in prison and disappointed cause he only squatted like 750 pounds...?

That was Halfbreed. It would be nice if he would drop by again. I hope all is OK with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:09 pm 

stuward wrote:
frogbyte wrote:

That was Halfbreed. It would be nice if he would drop by again. I hope all is OK with him.

aye he was a beast! Strongest poster here I think. Hoister was scarily strong as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:32 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Yeah that's the one - I still have a mental "todo" rolling around waiting for him to post a youtube of a 750lb prison squat.