ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:49 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I'm a politics/psychology student by day, and freelance hellraiser at night

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:48 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Jungledoc wrote:
I'm especially curious about Stephen Johnson. He lives in NYC, but I don't think he's given any clues to his career, so I'll guess he's an investment banker on Wall Street.

Close - currently, I'm an assistant manager at a department store. In my previous life, I was a mainframe computer programmer/systems analyst, but my job (and those of many of my departmental colleagues) was outsourced 8 years ago. For a while, I managed a living as an IT freelancer, but COBOL/BAL/IMS/CICS has become passe here in NYC. Hence the career change.

Even though my income is less than half of what it used to be, I have no -well, actually few :frown: - regrets. I'm in better health now that I was when I was getting overpaid (which is fortunate, since my healthcare policy isn't so hot). And the female co-workers at the store are easier on the eyes. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:01 am 

Process Engineer here. I design coal preparation plants.

I'm guessing Poly is also some kind of engineer, based on his tendency to analyse everything to the nth degree ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Most of you probably already know about me. I'm a Unix/Linux systems engineer. At my current job that I've had the last 3 and a half years, I mainly work on Redhat Enterprise Linux and Solaris. However at home I lean more towards OpenBSD for most non-desktop stuff.

I work for a large global hosting company in a massive environment. If you get around on the internet at all, chances are you've connected to servers I have worked on.

I'm good with shell scripting due to my general laziness. I also am good at security and hacking. I like playing with SSL VPN and tunneling over SSH, as well as advanced firewall config with OpenBSD packet filtering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:35 am 

Ironman wrote:
Most of you probably already know about me. I'm a Unix/Linux systems engineer. At my current job that I've had the last 3 and a half years, I mainly work on Redhat Enterprise Linux and Solaris. However at home I lean more towards OpenBSD for most non-desktop stuff.

I work for a large global hosting company in a massive environment. If you get around on the internet at all, chances are you've connected to servers I have worked on.

I'm good with shell scripting due to my general laziness. I also am good at security and hacking. I like playing with SSL VPN and tunneling over SSH, as well as advanced firewall config with OpenBSD packet filtering.

I fell asleep half way through your post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:43 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Im starting the last year of law school this september. Mind you law school is a joke where i come from. I have a whole 8 hours of class a week, of which only 4 is obligatory attendance. Actually those 4 aren't obligatory either, but if you dont show up you only get one shot at the exam and no resit. The only good thing about law school is that about 70% of the students are female, and this only improves as you go on. Of the people that fail or quit, most are male.

Work a parttime job as tutor/counselor for firstyear students aswell as random other things for the university to pay for tuition, food and my room. Room eats up about 2/3rd of my monthly budget, sadly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:03 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
Jason Nunn are both exercise professionals, Jason in his own gym.

Yep, I have the best job in the world!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:17 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Gantz wrote:
Managed a [illegal] gatorade service for 3 years during high school, but went bankrupt when the economic depression hit.
The [illegal] part perked my ears! I want to hear a story about it :twisted:
Helena115 wrote:
Wouter wrote:
So you're not a 25 year old figure athlete?

Yes, in my spare time

So ... Swedish Wonder Woman?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:33 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
RikBlades--limo driver.

:lol: Not quite!

My qualification is Electronics, specifically fault diagnosis and repair.

I used to work for the largest Leisure industry operator in the U.K (for those who know, think Brighton Pier, Blackpool etc)., traveled thousands of miles for them and ran a team of technicians.

Thats where I met my wife who was a very sucessful manager within the company.

We had many fun years working together, she left to have our two children and unfortunatley became very ill soon after.

I have given up work now to care for my wife full time, she's very disabled now and she watches me lift at home. I have all the iron I need and a Power Cage to keep me entertained! :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

frigginwizard wrote:
Ironman wrote:

I fell asleep half way through your post

That tends to happen. Usually I just tell people it has to do with computers because they have no idea what I am talking about. I just watch for the telltale signs of eyes glazing over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:30 pm 

Ironman--I don't understand, but it makes me feel good, because my older son does similar work (I think) and many of the terms sound familiar. The "tunneling" fascinates me, because it sounds so physical, and un-softward-like to me. He runs 2 networks for his company. It sounds boring to me, but he loves it, and feels that he has his dream job. Fortunately, it's for a really good company--they are on the annual company camping trip this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jungledoc wrote:
Ironman--I don't understand, but it makes me feel good, because my older son does similar work (I think) and many of the terms sound familiar. The "tunneling" fascinates me, because it sounds so physical, and un-softward-like to me. He runs 2 networks for his company. It sounds boring to me, but he loves it, and feels that he has his dream job. Fortunately, it's for a really good company--they are on the annual company camping trip this weekend.

Yea, if he is running a couple networks that sounds like a good job.

Tunneling does sound physical. It's kind of a virtual tunnel though. Basically you just make a secure connection to a server. You can then send other unsecure network services through that secure encrypted connection. It's a way of securing things on the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:27 am 

I'm a FX Dealer. I sale FX and interest rate derivatives. I also teach Physics as a part time job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

Well, I know that I don't post much, but I do more reading on the website than commenting because of the wealth of knowledge found here. Anyhoo, I'm a Juvenile Counselor. I primarily work with juvenile offenders. Working out for me is more of a occupational must than a hobby. What's wild it that these kids are getting bigger and bigger and when I ask them do they eat right and workout they say no! They just smoke illegal substances and eat at McDonalds... What gives?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:42 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

leanmuscle13 wrote:
What's wild it that these kids are getting bigger and bigger and when I ask them do they eat right and workout they say no! They just smoke illegal substances and eat at McDonalds... What gives?

Young men aged 16-25 pump out testosterone and growth hormone like no tomorrow. That's what gives. If you or I smoked illegal substances while eating at MickeyDs, we would just get arrested by Officer Big Mac. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next