ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Incline Bench going down
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:13 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I've noticed recently that since I replaced Barbell Bench Presses with Parallel Bar Dips my Incline Barbell Press has stopped making progress and actually come down slightly, even though I've been prioritizing Inclines by performing them first. I don't know why this is, since benches and dips train the same muscle groups. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? Any theories on why this is the case?

PS.) I've decided to go back to doing Barbell Bench Presses. Meanwhile, I'm going to alternate exercise order performing flat-bench presses first for 3 or 6 weeks followed by inclines first for 3.

Last edited by Matt Z on Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: DIPS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:58 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I've always employed dips as a lower-pec and triceps builder, using a weight belt in the early days. I wouldn't ditch the incline barbell presses; in fact, I'd favor them to flat bench pressing. Big, compound movements have always been more productive in terms of strength and size. Try alternating your dips with barbell bench presses on a slight decline. Cable and machine work, except for lat pulls, is more for isolation of specific muscle groups. I've stayed on the free-weight side of the gym to stay clear of personal trainers (no offense) and their bimbos (again - no offense to bimbos). I'm in the gym to work hard, not whine for attention.[/b]

Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.