ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaking of Eggs...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:28 am 

Looks like we have a lot of egg questions today...

Do Eggs lose any of their nutritional value if cracked and mixed up the night before using.

Now the background info...

I will be taking my daughter to kindergarten starting next week. Typically, they won't feed her breakfast, unless we choose to pay extra for it and then it's yet another crappy meal approved by the Federal Food Program. Would likely consist of cereal..

Anyway, I plan to get up and cook her breakfast before we go. Some scrambled eggs and bacon or sausage. Realistically, I should be eating this each morning also, but have been slacking lately...

My scrambled egg formula is a few eggs, a bit of milk, salt, pepper, and sometimes I'd even mix in a little (very little) cinnamon for a sweetener.

I'd like to save the couple minutes each morning of cracking the eggs and mixing everything up, by doing this the night before and storing in the fridge. Would the eggs lose any of their value by doing this, or is there any risk of them going "BAD" outside their shell?

Cliff

Post subject: Re: Speaking of Eggs...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:02 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

wilburburns wrote:

My scrambled egg formula is a few eggs, a bit of milk, salt, pepper, and sometimes I'd even mix in a little (very little) cinnamon for a sweetener.

Drop the milk and add EXTRA THICK double cream. :grin:

wilburburns wrote:
I'd like to save the couple minutes each morning of cracking the eggs and mixing everything up, by doing this the night before and storing in the fridge. Would the eggs lose any of their value by doing this, or is there any risk of them going "BAD" outside their shell?

Cliff

Without sounding like an a$$, I need to say.... "huh???".

You probably need to just get into the swing of doing it. For example, I put oil(or butter) in the pan and switch it on, THEN i crack the eggs and mix everything up. I'm a pro. When it's done, I just bang it in the pan. Lap up the big sizzling sound, throw it all around, switch off pan, and serve. Cook fast on a high heat. The whole process takes me about 3 minutes. I can literally make scrambled eggs when the adverts come on when watching TV.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:13 am 

I agree, cracking the eggs probably is faster than the alternative. If you do crack the night before, you should cover them to avoid air getting at them. Oxidation is what you want to avoid. They will go rancid if left in the air. Then you have more utentials to wash up in the morning. You can crack them as fast as it takes to warm up the pan. You can mix everything up in the pan as you go. (I like to cook slower on a medium heat).

Last edited by stuward on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:14 am 

Not going to argue that the time being saved would be minimal, but considering I'm not a morning person and my 5yr old daughter has inherited this bad trait of mine, every second counts..

However, the bacon or sausage will likely be what controls the cook time as it always takes longer than the eggs.

Quote:
Drop the milk and add EXTRA THICK double cream. :biggrin:

Never have any cream in the house, therefore never tried it. My youngest daughter used to have to drink whole milk (doctors orders) and I got to use it in the eggs, but we are back to the 2% milk now.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:15 am 

Switch back to whole milk and enjoy what little health benefits exist in milk. The goodness is in the fat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:21 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I'm with KPJ and STU on cracking them when you're ready, but if you must, crack the desired amount the night before, store in the refridge with a plastic covering. We used to do this the night before when I worked as a line cook, 40 some years ago. We'd do several trays of fresh eggs, and mix them in with frozen eggs, and store over night in the cooler so we'd have scrambled ready out on the lines for opening. Fried, or poached, definately right when you're going to cook them.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:21 am 

stuward wrote:
I agree, cracking the eggs probably is faster than the alternative. If you do crack the night before, you should cover them to avoid air getting at them. Oxidation is what you want to avoid. They will go rancid if left in the air. Then you have more utentials to wash up in the morning. You can crack them as fast as it takes to warm up the pan. You can mix everything up in the pan as you go. (I like to cook slower on a medium heat).

I mix in a cup because it seems to make fluffier/softer eggs after being cooked. And I typically cook slower on a medium heat, which is less likely to burn any portion of the egg.

Keep in mind I'm cooking for children most of the time. I can just about eat my eggs any way they are cooked, as long as the white is done, but my children are much pickier. They must be completely done/scrambled, but can't have any brown or hint of overcooking/burning.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:27 am 

I don't know how many times I've heard "Dad, these aren't cooked. There's jelly stuff in them." :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:32 am 

stuward wrote:
I don't know how many times I've heard "Dad, these aren't cooked. There's jelly stuff in them." :)

Then you understand.. :wink:

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:23 pm 
Novice
Novice

[quote="stuward"]Switch back to whole milk and enjoy what little health benefits exist in milk. The goodness is in the fat.[/quote]

I'm wondering about the little health benefits in milk-- I know there is some lactose in it but no where near the carbs of grain products is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:04 pm 

Travis wrote:
stuward wrote:
Switch back to whole milk and enjoy what little health benefits exist in milk. The goodness is in the fat.

I'm wondering about the little health benefits in milk-- I know there is some lactose in it but no where near the carbs of grain products is it?

The problem is not just the carbs. Dairy can cause alergies. Most people are aware that lactose causes some problems but that's not the whole story. Apparently the proteins in milk, Casien mainly, are so similar to human tissue that it promotes autoimmune reactions. It can be as harmful as grains. In fact the carbs in grains are only one problem. The gluten and other anti-nutrients can cause a whole host of issues in some people. My 15 year old daughter is going through severe auto-immune issues right now and I'm having a hard time to get her to consider modifying her diet. Her doctor doesn't see it as an issue. The drug cartel doesn't pay for intervention studies of diet changes. Ask me about how money drives the health care system and the actual health of the patient is irrelevant.

Sorry about the rant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:35 pm 
Novice
Novice

So its not really the lack of benefits in milk as the potential for allergies?

I work in medical research so I understand how money drives the health care system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:41 pm 

Vitamins A, D, E and K are all in the fat. You don't get as much from low-fat milk. The fat itself provides energy without raising blood sugar.

A diet rich in meat, eggs, fish and vegetables can be a complete diet. Dairy and grains are not needed. They're fine if you tolerate them in appropriate quantities but you can do without them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:50 pm 

stuward wrote:

The problem is not just the carbs. Dairy can cause alergies. Most people are aware that lactose causes some problems but that's not the whole story. Apparently the proteins in milk, Casien mainly, are so similar to human tissue that it promotes autoimmune reactions. It can be as harmful as grains. In fact the carbs in grains are only one problem. The gluten and other anti-nutrients can cause a whole host of issues in some people. My 15 year old daughter is going through severe auto-immune issues right now and I'm having a hard time to get her to consider modifying her diet. Her doctor doesn't see it as an issue. The drug cartel doesn't pay for intervention studies of diet changes. Ask me about how money drives the health care system and the actual health of the patient is irrelevant.

Sorry about the rant.

Wow, don't get me started.. My 5yr's Iron is Low... But instead of telling us she needs to eat more meat (Which I already know, because she doesn't like to eat at all). Her doctor prescribes More vitamins with Iron in them.

If I didn't know what little I do know about health and nutrients, I wouldn't be able to know she just needs more meat, especially red meat. She does actually like steaks and other red meats, but we tend to eat more white meats pork and chicken normally.

Yep, I just joined your rant....

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:19 am 

My dad has heart problems - highblood pressure, cholestorol, etc. Probably type 2 diabetic but he won't say. He's weird like that.

Anyway he has a "dietician". So.... Can I join your rant???

Honestly. I'm so fed up of hearing the conventional crap that I don't even argue with it anymore. I don't even try. Tell your Dietician that if the both of you lost some dam bodyfat then both of you would be a lot less "at risk" of heart troubles. Really makes me want to go all Ninja with an Olympic bar.

Take this, take that, then take this, then come back and see me in X amount of time, where we might consider putting you on this, and that, and what not. Whatever....

Been atleast a year now following the "dieticians" advice and, guess what? No weight loss. Unbelievable.

Sometimes people say things to me like (when discussing saturated fat, etc), "i guess all the doctors are wrong and you're right then." Or, "have you not seen all the adverts about Saturated Fat on TV?

Now I just say, "yeah with obesity, diabetes, and heart disease all sky high, and after steadily getting worse over the last 30-40 years, I really want to listen to the frikkin goverment".

Rant over. Until next time. Thanks for listening :smile:

KPj