ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:13 am 
former lurker

Hi
Are the synergist muscles listed in order of how much they contribute to the exercise? Or is the order of no significance?

For instance, in the bent over row, the traps are first on the synergist list, whereas for the chin up they're listed at the end.

Does this indicate the bent over row engages the traps more than a chin up?

So my question really is not about a specific exercise, but whether the exrx.net compilers have actually figured out the various proportions each muscle contributes to each exercise and listed them in that order... ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:00 pm 

the trapezius is one huge muscle divided into 3 parts: upper, middle, and lower.

I think everything you do involves the upper trapz. I have even tried stopping the muscle from working because it is overactive, but its hard. I get knotts and tight up there everyday, especially when sleeping on my side. I keep my shoulders down when sleeping and the upper trapz bring it back up.

the row involves the rhomboids as the main muscle working, the type of movement is upper body horizontal pull. All you do in this exercise is squeeze your shoulder blades together hard on each rep keeping your shoulders down and back trying not to involve a lot of the upper trapz and not elevating your shoulders. All you do in a row is retract.

depression - shoulders down
elevation - shoulders up
retraction - shoulders back
protraction - shoulders forward/rounded

to answer your question though, its not in any order. The best person that would know for sure is ironman, he puts everything together I think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:12 pm 
former lurker

ok, thanks for that caangelxox.

It's really more a question about the site itself, exrx.net and whether the synergist listing order means anything.

I had a knot in my wrist extensor, near my elbow for about 3 weeks. Couldn't shake it even with rest. Went to the physio, after 20 mins deep massage on it, she stuck an acupuncture needle in there. Made me shout out and my leg jump into the air when she hit the hotspot of the knot. 2 days later no more knot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:16 pm 

The Ferrous Gentleman is only the moderator of the forum. The site is written and maintained by mysterious creatures in a distant and cloud-shrouded land. We don't really know where it comes from--it just appeared one day, filled with wisdom, and so we pay it homage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:27 pm 

Doc, I think the wizard thing has gone to your head.

Stata, try the feedback e-mail on this page: http://www.exrx.net/Notes/Feedback.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:00 am 

stata wrote:
ok, thanks for that caangelxox.

It's really more a question about the site itself, exrx.net and whether the synergist listing order means anything.

I had a knot in my wrist extensor, near my elbow for about 3 weeks. Couldn't shake it even with rest. Went to the physio, after 20 mins deep massage on it, she stuck an acupuncture needle in there. Made me shout out and my leg jump into the air when she hit the hotspot of the knot. 2 days later no more knot.

eww neeedles...I am scared to go get acupuncture. I have always had a fear of needles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:29 am 

I don't know for sure, but I suspect TimD is the mastermind behind this whole site. He might know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:46 am 

This is a link to the page that lists the people behind the content:

http://www.exrx.net/People/People.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:45 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hoose, James is the mastermind, and put a LOT of work and research into the site. I was around in the early days back in 1999, and he asked me to help out and mod the forum, but I have nothing to do with the content. Forum only. All I do know about the synergists are they are listed in order of importance, but as to any %'s, I have no clue.
Tim