ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I usually just tell such people that is a logical fallacy called argument from authority, and that my information comes from peer reviewed studies which can be independently verified. I also try to explain why the "Seven Countries" study was not real science. Not everyone gets all of it. They all seem to understand that cherry-picking to get the desired results is not real science, however those who are highly invested in the "fat=bad" idea continue to say the same thing anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:45 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I just ate a pint of eggwhites. Felt lonely since I didn't have 5 or so servings of veggies to mix in. Just an onion and some spices. Yum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:52 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I want to rant too:

Every day at work my lunch consists of 2 grilled chicken breasts, loads of veg and a generous helping of olive oil dripped over it. And every day my colleagues talk about how all that protein is going to destroy my kidneys and all that oil is going to make me obese.

My colleagues are, of course, ALL overweight and sit there eating low fat, processed garbage.

I don't have the heart to say to them "Yeah? Well look at how fat you are, then look at how lean I am. Now tell me, who's diet's working best?"

Obviously I'd never say it, they are my friends after all but I think that deep down they know I'm right...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:47 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I doubt that's what they think. They probably think you're just exercising so much that you can get away with eating deadly fat without being fat. That's what the government would tell them to think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:03 am 

To bring this back on topic...

Today was the second day of cooking for her/them (wife and other daughter ate yesterday). And as I expected, cooking the bacon was the time consuming part, even if it's only a couple of slices.

I had plenty of time to prepare the eggs for cooking.

Now I'm looking for ideas on how to cook the bacon and/or sausage quicker, or with less interaction. Maybe by baking it or (shutter) Microwave..

Any thoughts..

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:29 am 

What I do with bacon is lay it out in the pan, I use a 12" cast iron pan, then cover it with a lid. This essentially bakes it on the stove top. I flip it once while cooking. You need to judge the heat so it doesn't smoke but it cooks fast enough. I just put it on medium. Then I pour off most of the fat and cook the eggs in the same pan. If I need to cook more eggs I add some of the poured off fat for the second batch of eggs. While the bacon is cooking you have time to make coffee, set the table, tend to the kids, etc. The lid keeps the grease splatters down too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:14 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Some chefs use this technique to obtain perfectly flat, perfectly cooked streaky bacon:

Lay your bacon on a flat baking sheet, ideally with sides
Lay a smaller baking sheet on top of the bacon so that it is pressed flat
Weight the top baking sheet with something - a brick will do
Cook in the oven until crisp

The trick is getting the temperature and cooking time right - i'd say cook it hot and quick to obtain as much moisture as possible; but not so hot and quick that the fat remains uncooked. Try 180c for ten minutes and see how that goes...

Similarly, you could try frying your bacon with a weight on top (a flat, cast iron weight you see the "chefs" use on Man vs Food would do the trick... like an old iron but square). Keeping the pressure on the bacon flattens it out and causes the fat to crisp a lot faster. Use a good solid fish slice utensil for a half baked example.

Sausage cooks really well in the oven too - 180c for 20 minutes

Depending on your routine, you could cook the sausage and (after eight or ten minutes) bacon while you finish getting yourselves ready and then cook the eggs to serve.