ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

If doing pull ups how would you do them?
Normal wide grip body weight pull ups 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
Assisted pull ups 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
I don't do pull ups I prefer lat pull downs 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: Pull up question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:15 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok While in the gym this morning I got into an argument and time being a big part of this argument.

While working biceps and back a friend of mine suggested that we do assisted pull ups. I said I would rather not and just do normal wide grip pullups and if I need a spot ask for it by saying so and crossing your legs at the shin.

He stated that doing the assisted pullups is better because you can do complete reps etc. My argument was that while we are short on time due to people having to work and what not it would be better to do normal pullups and spot when needed because we didn't know the weight of assistance we would need on the assisted pull up machine.

In your opinion or if there is factual information out there what is better doing full body weight pullups until you need to get a spot or waist your time figuring out what weight you need to set the assistance pull up machine at?

It was a loud argument...haha I said dude if you want to do the damn assisted pull up machine do it. I'm not going to due to time restraints....opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:23 am 

How is "wide grip" "normal"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:47 am 

My thoughts..

5 hard BW unassisted Pullups (any grip) are better than 10 assisted pullups (any grip) that aren't hard.

All things being equal, I consider an assisted pullup much like a Lat Pulldown. Therefore, if you can do a Full BW Pullup, you should be doing them.

Also, many advocate technical failure as a stopping point for lifts. I'm not sure this completely relates to BW stuff like pullups, but don't let others "Spot" you to much, the spotter should only be there to "bump" you past a sticking point, not push you the rest of the way through your target reps.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:54 am 

I normally do parallel grip chin ups since I can get more reps in than wide grips and they don't hurt my elbows like supinated grip chin ups. I encourage my son to mix up his grip, he has no trouble with wide grip and he's starting to add weight. I encourage my daughter, who can't do a chin up yet to use the machine and she does use it. I think that if you need assistance you should use it and it doesn't matter if it's a machine, a spotter, a lat pull down, one foot on a chair or a rubber band under your butt, if it makes it possible to progressively overload the movement, go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:20 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Just do normal pullups like on the elementary school physical fitness testing. The pronated grip takes your bicep mostly out of the action. And the complete up, down makes it harder. No kip either.

Making it harder means you can get more exercise without needing to hang a weight on you.

It also more closely mimics positions in sports and activity (well...pulling yourself up on something!) And it requires no special apparatus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:16 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok thanks guys I appreciate the quick replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:20 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Medium overhand grip ... bodyweight or weighted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

None of the above.

I never do the wide grip. I always do shoulder width or narrower. The wider grip takes the rear delts of it because it becomes a different shoulder articulation.

I do both bodyweight and weighted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:52 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The only reason I would do wide grip pullups over hand grip is to hit my lats as hard as possible.

Today was back and biceps day at the gym and my argumentative friend was not there so no arguments today but I remember when I was a frequent forum user on this website one of the best back building workouts that were recommended was the deadlift.

I have done more research and now I've found that the target muscle in dead lifts is the glutes and the erector spinae but the glutes are the main target muscle. Maybe that's why I have large glutes? Wow I don't like finding out that what I "know" is wrong.

Also last week I started my deadlifting sets at 305 lbs for a set of twelve then 325 for ten and eight but today I only got four of 305 then dropped the weight cause it felt extremely heavy, is there a reason for this?

I was surprised that 305 felt crazy heavy....idk haha I'm rambling. Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:11 pm 

Deadlifts are a whole body exercise. When I'm not feeling 100% my deadlifts suffer big time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:04 pm 
Novice
Novice

Weighted Pull-ups

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:13 pm 
Novice
Novice

Latpulldowns :frown:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:46 am 

i think this is a good time to ask, what everyones pull up or chin up records are?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:03 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

a Googol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:05 am 

i once did 8 closegrip pullups

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next