ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:56 am 

Matt Z wrote:
Has anyone else seen the television commercial where Barak Obama says it only takes a few minutes to be a dad? ..... I think he may have meant a few minutes a day, but still ... It takes a LOT more than that.

Meanwhile, it really surprised me because Obama is usually so careful about choosing his works, and this was a scripted, pre-recorded ad.

The saddest part is, some people could honestly double the amount of involvement in their kids lives with mere minutes a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think he was trying to say that even just a few minutes makes a big difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:05 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I think so to. ..... Still, it reminded me of some of the dumb things Bush said over the years, ... like the one about gynocologists. ... Strange since Obama doesn't make those kind of slips very often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:28 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Haven't been a fan of much of what he's done in office, but here's apparently the aforementioned ad, and there's nothing bad to be said about it: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2985581/f ... _obama_15/

The message is clearly that a few minutes can make a difference, not that a few minutes out of any particular time frame (which he doesn't mention at all) would be sufficient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:06 am 

Bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:29 am 

Noo! Not another political thread! Somehow this is still gonna turn into Ironman and Frogbyte arguing about libertarians and abortion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rucifer wrote:
Noo! Not another political thread! Somehow this is still gonna turn into Ironman and Frogbyte arguing about libertarians and abortion!

Oh no, I'm not going to be discussing that with him. I will answer his questions, but that's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hoosegow wrote:
Bump

I assume this is to see how people's opinions have changed. Well I'm not as happy with Obama as I once was. It seems like little has changed since the Bush days. I was really hoping for better. There have been some improvements though, so it's kind of a mixed bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:44 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Try buyer's remorse. Whhat happened to transparency? What happened to uniting the nation? It's as divided as it was under Bush, and looking like we're trying to take a hard left turn. What happened to draining the swamp when it came to ethics? Waters and Wrangell are a shining example of that.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:10 pm 

They are all crooks.

Lie to my face, and piss away my money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 am 

I am in agreement with Ironman and Nygmen. I voted for Obama, but sort of wish I just hadn't voted at all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TimD wrote:
Try buyer's remorse. Whhat happened to transparency? What happened to uniting the nation? It's as divided as it was under Bush, and looking like we're trying to take a hard left turn. What happened to draining the swamp when it came to ethics? Waters and Wrangell are a shining example of that.
Tim

Transparency is actually better with Obama, Bush was fairly secretive. The rest of that stuff can't be blamed on any president. Neither Bush nor Obama had anything to do with the country being divided.

The president always seems to be a scapegoat. With all the criticisms I had of Bush, I remember frequently reminding others on the left that they were blaming him for things he had nothing to do with.

I blame pundits spreading propaganda, the majority's lack of critical thinking skills, prejudices, and religion for the division. "Us vs them" thinking is a good example of this.

Basically what you have is a small ruling class, that survives democracy by manipulating a majority of people by playing on their fears, prejudices and religious beliefs. So any changes in division will be extremely slow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:31 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Basically what you have is a small ruling class, that survives by manipulating a majority of people by playing on their desire for freebies and handouts, and their lack of a strong moral/religious foundation.

I had high hopes that the one thing Obama would do well is help to right the catastrophic inner city dead-beat dad situation by way of the bully pulpit. Sadly he's spent all his air time on partisan campaigning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

frogbyte wrote:
Basically what you have is a small ruling class, that survives by manipulating a majority of people by playing on their desire for freebies and handouts, and their lack of a strong moral/religious foundation.

I had high hopes that the one thing Obama would do well is help to right the catastrophic inner city dead-beat dad situation by way of the bully pulpit. Sadly he's spent all his air time on partisan campaigning.

Your first paragraph is a straw man. Nobody is asking for handouts. Welfare is very small portion of the budget. Also religion does not equate to morality. Belief in magic sky daddy may even be harmful if the person takes it all too seriously. Then I also have to ask how you know what people's morals on one part of the political spectrum are? Who are you to say whose morals are better than whose? It's also kind of funny all the Republicans that were caught cheating on their wives. Not that that's any of our business, but these are people who cheer about their morality.

The dead-beat dad problem is not the president's job. It's really not even federal government at all. That sort of thing is usually handled by state governments. Concerns about it are best addresses by the community at hand. For a supposedly "small government" person, you sure seem to be all about the government doing all kinds of stuff. You seem to want them all up in people's business.

Conservatives seem to think "bipartisan" means doing things their way and doing things any other way including compromises to be partisan.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm no Democrat cheerleader. I think the Democrats are only slightly better than Republicans, who I consider to be the same as bacteria in the puss of a giant, oozing, putrefied sore on the taint of a rabid pig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:47 am 

Ironman wrote:

ALL POLITICIANS seem to think "bipartisan" means doing things their way and doing things any other way including compromises to be partisan.

FIFY Ironman.[/b]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next