ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:16 am 
n00b
n00b

hi there. i'm new here. i first want to say that this site and forum is very informative and i'm happy it's here.

i've read alot of the articles on this site but would like to hear what you guys might have to say about incorporating a weight lifting program to my daily cardio bit.

i haven't lifted weights for over two years, and my main goal is weight loss. my question is would doing a one set full body workout every other day in addition to cardio be good, or would doing a three set two day split twice a week in addition to cadrio be better? if one set, how many reps do you aim for? when i would do two day splits i would do three sets of twelve. again, the main goal is weight loss, and i haven't lifted in over two years. i've never done one set workouts, but am wondering if it would be a good idea for the first month or two, or if i'd be better off doing a two day split like described above. i have time to do either, so it's just a matter of what would be best to get started. thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:59 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

I would start out, at least for the first month or so, with full body, 2-3 X week. Get used to the feel of the motions. 1-2 sets to start with are just fine. I would advise circuit style, exercise 1 right after exerise 2, etc, at a fairly quick pace, as fat loss is your goal. When you do decide to add a seond set, go through the lineup once in a circuit, then rest, and go through the circuit again. After a month or so, you should be pretty well broken in, and can choose at that time whether to split or not, and to go with a "set" approach, that is staying with one exercise until all sets are complete. Just my recommendation. This is what they call a prep or adaptation phase in a periodized program. It breaks you in, gets you used to the movements, builds up work capacity, and aids in fat loss by emphasizing gh producion with the quicker rest breaks (try using 60 seconds or so between exercises).
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:34 pm 
Novice
Novice

He's right, it worked for me. You'll see that you'll want to split things up once you get the weights high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I also start people on full body. Then I help them with a split later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:37 pm 

To the original poster, my post stands, but I just reread it and understand you are inquiring about reps as well. For the first 4-6 week break in I've already recommended, it does really not matter that much. Keep the weight useable, within around 10-12 reps, not going to failure. It should present a challenge, but not be unnatainable. I'm sorry, but it is hard to describe. When starting, you want to make it challenging, but not too difficult. After you are broken in though, go for it.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:33 am 
n00b
n00b

thank you all for the responses. tim, i understand what you mean about keeping the weight challenging, but attainable.

so i did a full body workout yesterday. just one set. i didn't do a second set because i didn't want to over do it, and wanted to see how i felt 24 hrs later. i'm so eager to do splits, because it's what i've always done in the past, so it's a challenge in itself to give it a good go with this full body workout. and although i'm eager to do splits, i'm afraid if i start doing them now, i'll be overtraining. and i know that it takes a while to get your body use to handling the weights and balancing them, but it's so different, and new, doing a full body routine.

i've never gone this long, two years, without being in the gym at least three times a week, but that's what it's been and i want to get back into making it part of my everyday, but don't want to get burnt out doing it...yet i want to make the most of it.

thank you all again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well if you like 2 day splits, there is no reason you can't do them. You would not overtrain. It's just that multiple sets can cause more soreness. Getting sore can be a problem the first 3 weeks or so. If the workout you did doesn't hit you too bad, you could go for it if you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:05 am 

His goal is to get into condition and fat loss, read the previous.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:07 pm 
n00b
n00b

hi Tim. yes, yes, my goal, the only goal, is weight loss.

so you are saying a full body workout is best for weight loss? after two months, do you change up the exercises, and continue with a full body or do you go to splits? the goal remaining weight loss. i have alot of weight to lose, so this is pretty long term.

i thank you and everyone for your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:43 am 

For your goals, I think circuits, complexes of a full body nature , with shor rest breaks are they way to go. It will also build up your work capacity, and as far as time limits go, I would just focus on breaking in. After about 1 month, you should notice an amazing difference in work ability. If you want to stick with it, fine. If you want to go to a split, thats fine also. The key to fat loss is to boost metabolism, cut back on calories (which I'm sure you already are aware of) and watch the fat go away.It won't be quick, so don't be discouraged. Lots of people like to interchange the quick paced stuff for about 4 weeks or so with more slower paced splits. Do a search on "Body For Life" for an idea on how to mix the heavier stuff up with cardio. I know it was marketed by Bill Phillips of EAS, but nontheless, its a well though out program.
Good training
Tim