ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:48 pm 

Tim,

I figured with your knowledge of old time lifts, you might know the name of this lift:

Using one dumbell at X lbs and a second at 1.5X lbs, do the following:

-Standing with the 1.5X lb dumbell to the outside (left) of your left foot and the X lb dumbell between BOTH feet, squat and grab both bells.

-Stand upright such that you deadlift the 1.5X lb bell and power clean (hammer curl) the X lb dumbell to our shoulder.

-Maintaining position of bells, squat again, this time explode upright, pressing the X lb dumbell overhead, while maintaining the position of 1.5X lb dumbell at your side.

-Return overhead dumbell to shoulder, then to waist. Squat and replace bells in starting position on floor.

-REPEAT with opposite hands.

=1 Rep.

I THINK that there is a name for this lift, but can't remember it.

I know it is one hell of a movement for building core strength due to the odd/irregular balance it induces.

If it doesn't have a name, i hereby declare this lift the "Hoister Hoist".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:48 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

You got me on that one Hoister. Never even heard of it, but there were many different variations back in the day. I do, however, remember a lift similar to that. Put a barbell down on the ground in front of you, with a DB or KB right behind it. You go down, clean the BB to shoulders, with either one or two hands, I'd recommend two hands, transfer it from the shoulders onto one hand, do a bent press, and in the bottom postition, before completing the bent press, grab the DB or KB in the free hand, and clean it to the shoulder, complete the Bent with the barbell and the screw squat, then press the DB or DB. Thats the two hands Anyhow Saxon and the guys around that time frame had some of the strongest core musculature that you just would not believe, and thats from all the 1 arm work they did. The guys and gals over at dragondoor are bringing it back, and thats a good thing.
Now, there is a website, with some old timers keeping this stuff alive, and I believe its the USAWLA or something similar. They have all the regulations and descriptions of their recognized lifts, and they are all off the wall. I love it I'll do a little research and post the link shortly.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:13 am 

Hi Hoister. Was reading the thread over on Bryce's board. Shaf was correct, it's USAWA, and I think Steve was right also, in the anyhow part being the operative word. Here is the site
http://www.usawa.com
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:17 pm 

TimD,

Thanks for the link. Some real cool stuff on that site.

Thanks,
Hoister.

(PS - i still think i'm going to call the lift the "Hoister Hoist" lol).