ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:38 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6394
Location: Halifax, NS
tipsycoma wrote:

And what is a 5/3/1 split?


5/3/1 refers to Jim Wendler's program.

http://strength-basics.blogspot.com/200 ... 5-3-1.html

Note that this is a 4 week periodization cycle. That's really an advanced program. If you haven't tried a weekly cycle (Heavy/light), try that first. Once that doesn't work try the 5/3/1/.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:12 am 
Offline
n00b
n00b

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 11
there are guys in my gym who will literally do bicep curls in every conceivable position, free weight, pulley-systems, preachers curls, standing curls, super-setting... you name it... they do it all on one day - i'll a 90 min work out (incl queuing for equipment!) and in that whole time they are still doing biceps!

I've never bothered to do that, my routine is remarkably close the the OP.
Is all that excessive targeting as excessive as it looks to me?

Someone recently recommended i try focusing on 'Negatives'. Are they particularly beneficial? I was told that the majority of muscle damage and therefore growth (scar tissue creation etc) is done on the negative movement while most str is built on the positive movement... True/false?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:25 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 am
Posts: 778
I have large arms and I usually only do 2-3 sets of biceps/triceps at the end of my chest/back day.

Although, I will say, if you want big arms - having a day where it's an 'arm day' can be of benefit. I tried removing mine for a few months and I really feel like I had better progress with a day specifically for arms.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:05 pm 
Offline
Novice
Novice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 68
Ben83 wrote:
there are guys in my gym who will literally do bicep curls in every conceivable position, free weight, pulley-systems, preachers curls, standing curls, super-setting... you name it... they do it all on one day - i'll a 90 min work out (incl queuing for equipment!) and in that whole time they are still doing biceps!


Out of curiosity, do these guys work other parts of their body on other days? Or are these the guys who think the bicep is the only muscle worth working? If they only work biceps, what do they look likes? Spindly legs?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:33 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7496
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
Ben83 wrote:
Someone recently recommended i try focusing on 'Negatives'. Are they particularly beneficial? I was told that the majority of muscle damage and therefore growth (scar tissue creation etc) is done on the negative movement while most str is built on the positive movement... True/false?
Working negatives is a bit of a special technique that is good for some situations, but not too useful for general purposes. If you can't get 1 rep of concentric, doing negatives may get you enough strength to get to the point where you can do concentrics. Like on chin-ups. Also when a lift plateaus, people use them to "break through" the plateau. For example you get spotters to lift the bar on bench, then you lower it to your chest yourself, using more weight than you can actually press.

What you refer to as "muscle damage" is not really damage, but part of the normal physiology of muscle development and strength gain. The muscle fibers are disrupted, and reform in a stronger way. "Scar tissue creation" is a bad thing, implying injury! Most people notice more soreness after exercises that have a large eccentric component, but I don't really think anyone knows why that is. It just is. Also, people tend to recover faster from lifts with a lighter eccentric, like the olympic lifts, for which most people lower the bar quickly with only slight control or drop it altogether.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:39 am 
Offline
n00b
n00b

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 11
callipygian50 wrote:
Ben83 wrote:
there are guys in my gym who will literally do bicep curls in every conceivable position, free weight, pulley-systems, preachers curls, standing curls, super-setting... you name it... they do it all on one day - i'll a 90 min work out (incl queuing for equipment!) and in that whole time they are still doing biceps!


Out of curiosity, do these guys work other parts of their body on other days? Or are these the guys who think the bicep is the only muscle worth working? If they only work biceps, what do they look likes? Spindly legs?


Heh, they do a few muscle parts... some do whole body, but like over what i assume is a 10 day cycle...
Most of them though do have quite skinny legs...
the 10 cycle thing brings me to another question though... ok so reading the forums one thing is clear, what works for one person may not be effective for another. However, i try to train each muscle group twice a week. Is that in general, suitable or would i be better off doing one group per day over say a 10 day 'week'.

current regime is:
monday - chest, back, hamstrings/ + some CV
Tuesday - shoulders, tris & bis, leg press + some CV
wednesday off
thurs - repeat monday
fri - repeat tuesday
sat & sun ... spent with missus


Last edited by Ben83 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:45 am 
Offline
n00b
n00b

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 11
Jungledoc wrote:
Ben83 wrote:
Someone recently recommended i try focusing on 'Negatives'. Are they particularly beneficial? I was told that the majority of muscle damage and therefore growth (scar tissue creation etc) is done on the negative movement while most str is built on the positive movement... True/false?
Working negatives is a bit of a special technique that is good for some situations, but not too useful for general purposes. If you can't get 1 rep of concentric, doing negatives may get you enough strength to get to the point where you can do concentrics. Like on chin-ups. Also when a lift plateaus, people use them to "break through" the plateau. For example you get spotters to lift the bar on bench, then you lower it to your chest yourself, using more weight than you can actually press.

What you refer to as "muscle damage" is not really damage, but part of the normal physiology of muscle development and strength gain. The muscle fibers are disrupted, and reform in a stronger way. "Scar tissue creation" is a bad thing, implying injury! Most people notice more soreness after exercises that have a large eccentric component, but I don't really think anyone knows why that is. It just is. Also, people tend to recover faster from lifts with a lighter eccentric, like the olympic lifts, for which most people lower the bar quickly with only slight control or drop it altogether.


Ah kk cool! I've used it so far on D'bell side raises but with the pulley... so i use one hand to pull the wire down and then lower slowly with the other... that being said, i only do it right at the end of a set to force out 3-4 negative reps at the end of a normal set... Should i be focusing negatives more on weights that are simply too heavy like you mentioned for breaking plateaus? (i have hit a plateau on shoulders... particularly should press)


is lifting to failure effective?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:10 am 
Offline
n00b
n00b

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:39 am
Posts: 3
heres my plan..

mon - chest - 12 sets between 3 or 4 exercises.
- tris - 4-8 sets between 2-3 exercises, (doing less because your chest exercises indirectly fatigure triceps, try not to overtrain them

tues - back - 15 sets between 4-5 exercises
- bicep - 4-8 sets between 2-3 exercises (again you worked back hard and your biceps are being hit as well, don't overtain)

wed - shoulders - 15 sets between 4-5 exercises

thursday - legs and calved - 15 sets between 4-5 exercises.


Work cardio in a little bit after every weight session if you can, restart schedule whenever you feel you have rested enough whether it be on friday or again starting on monday. Fit abs in every morning or night if you have the time, or with certain workouts whenever you like.

try to change up your muscle groupings and workouts every 6 weeks to avoid adaptation.

my success - 20 years old, lifting for 3 solid years. 172lb, 16 inch arms, 6 feet tall, 7.8% body fat.

goodluck. :thumbright:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:23 am 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm
Posts: 1141
Location: Lapland, Finland
nageljj wrote:
.....


The idea that you're lifting four days in a row and then rest for three days doesn't sound so nice to my ears. Yeah, your muscle groups vary, but when you do chest, you also work with your biceps and shoulders, and when you work your shoulders, you also train your biceps, triceps, and oftenly back and chest. There is a risk you won't give your upper body muscles even 24 hours of rest between exercises. Be careful with that, your muscles develop with resting. I would prefer something like Mon-Wed-Fri-Sun or something like that if you train four times a week.
I never work out two days in a row, unless I have no choise. But that's just me.

_________________
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.


Last edited by Dub on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:40 am 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
posting.php?mode=quote&f=17&p=77489
nageljj wrote:
I'm 150lbs and trying to fix my nutrition while bulking. On days I lift, I go straight from the workplace to home, change quickly, make myself a 300-500 calorie workout shake, and head to the gym to meet my workout partner.
Is this a good idea? I see so many people saying 'use whole foods for protein' that I'm starting to question this method.
Also, I've tried VPX Zero-carb protein shakes and they are delicious! Is there a time this would be good to take, such as post-workout if I planned to have a meal 30 min after?

posting.php?mode=quote&f=7&p=77609
nageljj wrote:
Well duh, you have no exercises to target that area. For starters, do your french press with a barbell, a regular barbell (No EZ, no french press bar, no dumbell). Replace the overhead dumbell extension with either skull crushers or close-grip bench presses. Instead of rope pressdown do a normal pressdown and instead of dumbell kickbacks do , wel whatever, should leave somthing for the other two heads.

nageljj wrote:
heres my plan..
mon - chest - 12 sets between 3 or 4 exercises.
- tris - 4-8 sets between 2-3 exercises, (doing less because your chest exercises indirectly fatigure triceps, try not to overtrain them
tues - back - 15 sets between 4-5 exercises
- bicep - 4-8 sets between 2-3 exercises (again you worked back hard and your biceps are being hit as well, don't overtain)
wed - shoulders - 15 sets between 4-5 exercises
thursday - legs and calved - 15 sets between 4-5 exercises.
Work cardio in a little bit after every weight session if you can, restart schedule whenever you feel you have rested enough whether it be on friday or again starting on monday. Fit abs in every morning or night if you have the time, or with certain workouts whenever you like.
try to change up your muscle groupings and workouts every 6 weeks to avoid adaptation.
my success - 20 years old, lifting for 3 solid years. 172lb, 16 inch arms, 6 feet tall, 7.8% body fat.
goodluck. :thumbright:


We have a lying spammer wanta be in our mists.
He does have amazing bulking techniques however

smelled you a mile away son


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:55 am 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm
Posts: 4424
well played Oscar, well played


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:27 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7496
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
7 point 8 percent body fat!

I'll take advice from no one but him from now on.

However, he didn't notice that the thread is a year old, and several of the principals are no longer around.

Yes, Oscar, well played. You have a great memory.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:13 am 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
Jungledoc wrote:
You have a great memory.

That's an optimistic way to look at it.

No life
Bad work ethic

might be two others.

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:12 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 pm
Posts: 257
nageljj wrote:
heres my plan..

mon - chest - 12 sets between 3 or 4 exercises.
- tris - 4-8 sets between 2-3 exercises, (doing less because your chest exercises indirectly fatigure triceps, try not to overtrain them

tues - back - 15 sets between 4-5 exercises
- bicep - 4-8 sets between 2-3 exercises (again you worked back hard and your biceps are being hit as well, don't overtain)

wed - shoulders - 15 sets between 4-5 exercises

thursday - legs and calved - 15 sets between 4-5 exercises.


Work cardio in a little bit after every weight session if you can, restart schedule whenever you feel you have rested enough whether it be on friday or again starting on monday. Fit abs in every morning or night if you have the time, or with certain workouts whenever you like.

try to change up your muscle groupings and workouts every 6 weeks to avoid adaptation.

my success - 20 years old, lifting for 3 solid years. 172lb, 16 inch arms, 6 feet tall, 7.8% body fat.

goodluck. :thumbright:


Being 6 foot tall and haveing 16 inch arms isnt that big. I'm 5'8 with 16 inch arms and I feel like a little b1tc#. I'm 193 lbs... and... not sure about the body fat maybe 14-17% lol

_________________
"Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door"

Kyle Chandler


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:44 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7496
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
Don't feed the troll. This guy cam on the board, dug up an old thread, and then was arrogant and rude, and hurt our sensitive feelings. Let him fade peacefully away.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group