ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:49 pm 
n00b
n00b

Let's say I work out on Monday, I normally won't feel soreness until Wednesday morning. Why does my body do this? Is it because my body is slow at the recovery process?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:23 am 
Novice
Novice

I dont get like that with weights, but i sometimes do with other activites. Like if I were to go to the driving range or something, i'd feel ok the next day but the day after that is when my side would be really sore. I always thought that was weird.

It would probably be a good idea to post one of your workouts where this happens to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:21 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

When I first started working out, DOMS seemed to increase over a 48 hour period. I solved the problem by cutting back the number of sets until I could handle more work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:00 pm 
n00b
n00b

what is DOMS?

It happened to me twice this past week, granted, i haven't worked out in a while but this has always happened to me, I don't start to feel sore until after 48 hours.

Tuesday I did bis and tris: warmed up, rows, dips, curls, skullcrushers, I can't remember what else but I didn't start to feel sore in my arms until thursday.

Thursday I worked out my legs: warmed up, leg press, squats, quad curls, calves. I didn't feel that sore yesterday but today i can barely walk.

It might be that I haven't worked out, or it might be the regimen, but I've always gotten sore until two days later, even when i was working out regularly. what's wrong with me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Delayed onset muscle soreness. It is usually only delayed by 24 hours though. I have had it happen 48 hours later, but only a couple times. Normally I get doms the following morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:45 am 

I think 2 days is pretty typical ironman.

I am sure it varies from person to person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:10 am 
n00b
n00b

okay, so one person thinks 2 days is typical, any other people with different or similar beliefs that can back ryan up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:22 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Here is a link to an article about DOMS. Some relevant passages from it are written below:

Quote:
For those starting a new exercise routine or learning a new sport, some muscle soreness may be felt from 12-48 hours following the activity. You may also experience muscle stiffness, fatigue and weakness. Rest assured, this is a normal response to unusual exertion as the muscles adapt to the new stress. Over time this adaptation leads to greater muscle strength and endurance and the same activity will no longer result in soreness. Delayed onset muscle soreness is generally the worst within the first 2 days following the activity and subsides over the next few days.

It is thought that delayed onset muscle soreness is the result of microscopic tearing of the muscle fibers.

The amount of tearing (and soreness) depends on the activity, the intensity and the time of the activity. Any movement you aren't used to can lead to DOMS, but eccentric muscle contraction (movements that cause muscle to contract while it lengthens) seem to cause the most soreness. Examples of eccentric muscle contractions include going down stairs, running downhill, lowering weights and the downward motion of squats and push-ups. In addition to small muscle tears there can be associated swelling in a muscle which may contribute to soreness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:16 am 
Novice
Novice

You know it's funny, I also have been feeling more sore on the second day since I started my latest workout routine after a break. But it's been a while now, and I still have that effect.

I didn't use to feel this effect at all, it used to be the day after lifting I'd be a little sore, then the second day I would be all hypertrophied and feel pretty good, and the third day I would feel almost perfect, right on track to lift on the fourth day with full power.

The only major difference in my routine is that I now drink protein shakes! The major effect of the protein shakes, from what I have experience, is increased ability to increase weight workout to workout, and great increases in recovery for the evening after a workout and the day after...

Perhaps it is because the muscle is tearing down and rebuilding a lot by 48 hours...