ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:22 pm 
Is there a point where you can take in too much protein after a workout? Recently I've been drinking a protein shake (64g) and eating a protein bar (33g) after a workout. I was curious if there was a point where you take in too much protein and it turns to fat or something.

I do total body workouts every other day
Flat Bench press: 3 sets 6-8 reps each
EZ bar curls: 3 sets 6-8 reps
Reverse EZ bar curls: 3 sets 5-6 reps each
Military press: 2 Sets 5-8 each
Leg Extensions: 3 sets 10+ reps to failure each
Strait Leg Deadlift: I increase the weight on each set, so it usually ends up around 4-5 sets of 6-8 each
Deadlifts: 2 sets 6-8 each
Weighted incline situps: I just do these to failure, without really counting, about 2-3 sets.

Any advice to improve that would be MUCH appreciated, as I've basically just built the routine around my budget, equipment and what I've read. I'm a student, so I can't really afford to, let alone set time to go to the gym. I workout in my apartment with freeweights and a bench that has a leg extension machine on it. Otherwise I would be doing squats with much zeal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:26 pm 

should add some type of upper back work to balance out all the upper body pushing you are doing.

This could be in the form of Rows and pullups/pulldowns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:52 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

My opinion:

Drop one of the curling movements and push the other one to the end of your workout.

Replace the leg extensions with front squats (use the EZ Curl bar, that's what I do). If you don't have enough weight for front squats, do Bulgarian split squat with DBs, do step-ups, do lunges.

As Ryan stated, you need to balance horizontal and vertical pushing (bench, military) with pulling in the respective planes of motion. That means some form of rows and pull-ups/lateral pulldowns. Find a pull-up bar or make one. If you have been doing such an unbalanced (much pushing, no pulling) program for any considerable amount of time I would do the pulling movements before the pushing movements in your next program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:32 am 
Novice
Novice

Well it's extra calories.... It sounds like 1 more trip to the bathroom too. Unless you are really huge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:56 am 
Novice
Novice

I've read that you want to have approximately twice as many carbs immediately after a workout as protein (~80g carbs, 40g protein for a 200 lbs person) for a better recovery. Has anyone else heard this as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:57 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, I've heard a lot of different ratio's for C:P being thrown around. One was as high as 4:1. but frankly, I think that as long as you get adequate protein (say around 20-30 gr) and some carb and fat, I wouldn't worry about the ratio's so much. I tend to keep it somewhat isocaloric, but going a little heavier on the carb is probably the way to go.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:59 am 
Novice
Novice

Carb loading is a myth. You just have to eat more. However since carbs are more efficient, you don't have to eat as much of them. So in that way it is sort of true. You have to watch it with that sort of thing. It is really easy to turn into a total fatass during bulking. Some people go hog wild and it doesn't get them much more mass then if they had done it more cleanly. Then they have to try to cut it without loosing what they gained. That said, it might be the way to go for an ecto that has a lot of trouble gaining and can loose weight in his sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

You add simple carbohydrates PWO for an insulin spike.

Quote:
Research shows that proper consumption of carbohydrates will enhance your muscle building and fat burning results, not impede them. When the carbohydrate meals were consumed after exercise, glucose oxidation was significantly reduced. In fact, when subjects ate the high carb meal after the moderate intensity exercise session, glucose oxidation was completely suppresed. This lack of glucose oxidation and the fact that a large positive glycogen balance was observed in these subjects indicates that carbs consumed after exercise are exclusively taken up by muscle.

Here is the study I am refering to, if anyone is intrested;

Folch N. Peronnet F, Massicotte D Dulcos M, Lavoie C, Hillaire-Marcel C. Metabolic response to small and large 13C-labeled pasta meals following rest or exercise in man. Bri J. Nutri. (5) 671-680, 2001.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:13 pm 
Would adding bent over rows, upright rows and shrugs be enough pull to balance out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:11 am 
Novice
Novice

That would be a good idea Rexall. One set of lat pullovers would be a good idea too. I would also do less direct arm work and change the leg extensions to hack squats. If you have enough smaller plates, use those for deadlifts so it hits your legs/ass more. Or if you have heavy dumbbells use those. You can even superset it with the hack squats. If you can incline your bench, I would do some inclines instead of all flat too.

Post subject: Jacob
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:07 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]