ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eating backwards?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:54 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I've read something on here about eating backwards like: dessert first, then the meal. Is that really something to follow? (for bulking)

If so, why is that good to do? And if there is another thread about this on here just let me know and I'll find it.

I'm 195lbs and I want to be at least 205-215 before summer next year...... And able to cut a little and have 2-4 pack (that's what I have know)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:31 pm 

I haven't heard that one.

Moss, just eat a lot and eat clean. It sucks and most people don't realize how hard it is. When you are sick of eating and the thought of food depresses you, eat some more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:32 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm pretty sure eating backwards is just so you digest the carbs slower.
Most desserts are high in carbs and hopefully ur meal is high in protein/fat/fibre.

Its best to have carbs with fat and fibre to slow down the rate you'r blood sugar is rising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:16 pm 

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first. ~Ernestine Ulmer

Post subject: Re: Eating backwards?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:23 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

A. moss wrote:
I've read something on here about eating backwards like: dessert first, then the meal. Is that really something to follow? (for bulking)

A.moss,

I posted it.

Gaining weight is all about math...consuming more calories. Tom Morris (an exercise physiologist) once stated, "If you want to gain weight, EAT BACKWARDS. Start your meal with dessert (calorie dense foods/lots of calories) and end you meal with a salad (caloricly sparce food/next to no calories).

Tim (the moderator) said, "...don't particularly care about the nutrition nazis warnings about red meat, high fat, etc, etc, , I think a bunch of them would do wonders. Back in the day, good ole cheseburgers were a mainstay for bulking."
http://exrx.net/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=60246

Quote:
If so, why is that good to do? And if there is another thread about this on here just let me know and I'll find it.

The take home message from Tom Morris and Tim are that if you want to gain weight, consume more calories.

That does not mean you have to literally start with desert and work backwards.

Kenny Croxdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:38 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Okay. The reason I asked was, I really did start following it, and I was eating 1 to 2 cups of Ice-cream with beefstew with a protein shake and Creatine shake for breakfast and something of that for lunch and dinner. (No more Ice-cream though) And I didn't want to "Get Fat" by doing so. I really don't think Ice-cream is that bad for you in moderation, That was the only reason I ate it. But I may be wrong.

Thanks for your words of advice everybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:38 pm 

I have long advocated eating backward for people trying to limit intake. If you eat a planned dessert, then go to the meat and veggies, you're more likely to stick to your plan. You're not likely to keep shoveling in the broccoli. You're more likely to stop when you're satisfied.

With dessert last, it's easy to eat more than you had planned to, even if you're satisfied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:52 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
I have long advocated eating backward for people trying to limit intake. If you eat a planned dessert, then go to the meat and veggies, you're more likely to stick to your plan. You're not likely to keep shoveling in the broccoli. You're more likely to stop when you're satisfied.

With dessert last, it's easy to eat more than you had planned to, even if you're satisfied.

That makes very good sense. You'll end up full before dessert but you wont want to miss it, so you'll over eat.... I'm going to start advising to people that are trying to lose weight to eat dessert first....

Although, if someone is trying to lose weight they really shouldn't be eating dessert in the first place, should they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You want to eat more to bulk, not eat more junk food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:34 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Jungledoc wrote:
If you eat a planned dessert, then go to the meat and veggies, you're more likely to stick to your plan. You're not likely to keep shoveling in the broccoli. You're more likely to stop when you're satisfied.

Um. But you can't get fat off broccoli. Unless they're battered and deep-fried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:10 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

frogbyte wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
If you eat a planned dessert, then go to the meat and veggies, you're more likely to stick to your plan. You're not likely to keep shoveling in the broccoli. You're more likely to stop when you're satisfied.

Um. But you can't get fat off broccoli. Unless they're battered and deep-fried.

True.
But, not to speak for Doc, but for me. Sometimes fatties also can't get past the need to always feel full. I've switched to eating much better foods, but also still struggle with stopping and "just eating when I'm hungry "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:42 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I dunno, but after I stuff down a pound of broccoli and 1/2 pound of meat, I'm usually not thinking "ooo I could go for some dessert", its more like "ooo my stomach hurts."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:29 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

frogbyte wrote:
I dunno, but after I stuff down a pound of broccoli and 1/2 pound of meat, I'm usually not thinking "ooo I could go for some dessert", its more like "ooo my stomach hurts."

You actually eat a pund of broccoli? Most people don't eat so much that they cant stuff anymore in them, especially women who are weight sensitive. So if your at a family dinner and you got all these pies made, you might as well it before your main meal. If at all.

The thread title reminds me of a Southpark episode lol, can anyone guess which one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:46 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm guessing this one: http://www.southpark.nl/clips/sp_vid_153504/ :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:19 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Nkkip wrote:

I cant watch it here in Canada, but if its the one where Cartmen craps out his mouth, you are correct sir.