ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Inner chest
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:14 pm 
So it's about that time of the year where I give myself a review of my progress. So far so good - 203lbs as of last night.

But when looking at my chest, I notice that the inner part isn't as defined as the top and lower - i sorta have a curve from the middle to the lower.

What stinks is that the cables that i would use for a flat bench fly - to get that deep compression - are right in the middle of a high traffic area.

So any advice on developing the inner portion would be helpful.

thanks,
mikey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:34 pm 
Novice
Novice

It could be genetic. Maybe you bench with a real wide grip. I would try dumbbell bench holding them the other way, like a hammer grip. Then when you do the press move them in untill they touch at the top. It might be more effective to do them single arm if you can that way you can push it across further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:13 pm 
Genetic.

There are no "inner chest" muscles, outside of the clavicular (top) and sternal (bottom) muscles of the pectorals; at least not according to this site or all of the textbooks I've read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:31 pm 
I have a question about what sonnygll advised.

What are people's opinions on hammer grip versus using palms out? Would I still be hitting the muscles in the same way if i changed to a hammer grip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:10 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, I can't speak for Sonnygill, because I don't use weights for bodypart type of development, mainly just for strength/fitness, but I prefer the hammer or palms facing grip. To me, it's just makes benching a more natural type of movement, aloows me a fuller ROM (range of motion) and it is really kind to my shoulders. Just my take on it.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:59 pm 
Novice
Novice

I like palms out better. I think hammer hits the triceps a little more because it puts your arms in just a little closer. It's almost the same though. The reason to do it in my advice above, is so you can do an across the chest sort of motion to see if you can get more stress on the inner part of the muscle. If you try to do it with the other grip, it would be awkward and you might drop it on yourself. Going across can put more stress on that part of the muscle but 90+% of how they look is genetic. If the problem is where your fat deposits are, cutting your body fat can take care of it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]