ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:59 pm 

I've always thought these things were utterly ridiculous (as if me selecting the answer I don't believe in stealing would prove I'm not a thief), but I have heard that these tests often determine whether or not they give you a shot at an interview. Anyone here have experience with this? The type of test that really annoys me is the ones where its like-

I believe murder is wrong

A) Strongly Agree
B) Agree
C) Neither
D) Disagree
E) Strongly Disagree

Now granted, they aren't usually that freaking retarded, but some of them are close. A knowledgeable friend (and by knowledgeable, I mean he trolls the internet a lot) told me the secret to those is always answering strongly agree or strongly disagree, that the employers don't actually look at your answers only the "scores", and that its always best to lie and select the best answer even if it doesn't apply to you. So why not come and ask you guys? Haha :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:36 pm 

I don't know but I LOL'd at your friend being knowledgeable because he's a troll. Mainly because it's usually true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:30 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I've had the test but no experience in regards to deciphering them, I'd probably dig through google for an answer, but I have been given one and did get an interview - but it did really piss me off too for the exact reasons you have said - I'm sure there is a slight pattern/correlation but just because that's true doesn't mean it's a reasonable thing to do IMO, again as you say, it's open to interpretation - I could say stealing is ok because im crazy competative so I might make a good saleman, I could say it's ok because I'm a sarcy type who wants to see the result of the wrong answers etc

But with these sort of things I suspect it's more a tool that looks at a bigger picture as you say, rather than literally "this person is likely to steal our hole punchers"

... If I owned a company I'd get a collosal amount of pleasure making my own up to give to people - all sorts of really immature questions to break the formal feeling of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:38 am 

Those types of tests are designed to pick up people with pathologies. There's no point in trying to lie as the test will pick that up and send a red fag. One of the key features is that there are enough similar questions, although subtlety different to pick up inconsistencies.

This might not be the exact test you took but I expect it's similar. This one takes 4 hours to complete and generally cost about $400 to administer so it's usually only used after the interview process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_ ... _Inventory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:44 am 

There are very few psychological tests that have been used and refined more than the MMPI. No, the employers shouldn't be reading the test, but the interpretation done by a trained psychologist. There are about 20 different scales derived from the MMPI, including several that measure the tendency to exaggerate to make oneself look good or to distort the facts. It best policy is to answer every question as best you can, even the ones that seem silly or odd. The more you try to manipulate it, the more you will look bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:34 am 
Novice
Novice

Generally psychometric testings used more for 'job fit' . Depending on the company - it's look more at what sector of the company you could be more applicable to and whether you fit within the corporate culture/the kind of person the company is looking for.

re; salesman the company will be looking for outgoing extroverts but for accountancy your extroversion/introversion wont be THAT important

edit; whoops, just realised this thread is way old - sorry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:05 am 

I love it when people do that (actually, I usually hate it) and I get all ready to answer, then suddenly see a reply from myself, and realize that I still agree with what I said before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That happens to me too. I go through, I know what I am going to say, then I see my old post, and sure enough, it says exactly what I was going to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:43 am 

I spose that's better than disagreeing with yourself!