ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:33 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

First off, which are harder? I haven't been able to access a gym in a few months, so I use my door to do pullups.

Second, I feel that door pullups work the biceps more than regular pullups. Does anyone know how door pullups compare to reguloar pullups?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:47 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Same thing, you're just using the door ledge instead of a bar. My guess is that its better for the grip though, and you really have to pich the frame in order to get a firm grip.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:10 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

on a semi related note I do elevator pull ups a lot (face the interior of the elevator, grab rim with a palms back grip) because your back is braced against the elevator wall the position you are put in really hits the biceps hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:17 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The thing about door pullups is that I can use the door as leverage. As in I can place my elbows on the door and use their stable position to pull from. I feel this works the biceps quite a bit more if I'm not mistaken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Either you're very light, or that's one hell of a door. Even if the frame and the door hold up, wouldn't that make the door hang funny?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:46 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ironman wrote:
Either you're very light, or that's one hell of a door. Even if the frame and the door hold up, wouldn't that make the door hang funny?

I'm relatively light (155 pounds) and the door is pretty sturdy, but I'm not sure what the big deal is. Should I keep on doing this elbow leverage thing or should I stop it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, if you notice you have to lift up a bit on the door nob to close the door, then you might want to stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:13 am 

VOK, I'm assuming you are using a palms facing you grip (curl grip), and if so, yes, that would affect the biceps a bit more, but still a great general back-lat exercise. As to the elbow stabilization thing, hey, it get's the job done, right? Why not use it? Most of the guys and gals I see on the crossfit videos using kipping motions (or swing ) to get momentum up, so I think stability is just fine. It's still working the muscles, you are just creating a bit of an equalizer.
As to door frame stability, LOL, most frames I've seen can handle a lot more than what you weigh, but only you know how sturdy it is, so let that be your guide, but Ironman does have a point.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:36 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I don't think he's hanging from the door frame. I think he's handing from the door itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:41 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Matt Z wrote:
I don't think he's hanging from the door frame. I think he's handing from the door itself.

Correct. I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm hanging from the door itself, as in the only grip I can do is palms facing away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:04 pm 

OK, my bad. Assumed you were using the frames. In that case, no, you aren't stressing the biceps as much with palms facing away. The leverages aren't with it. And also, LOL, in that case, using the door, you really ought to heed Ironman's comments. You may find that one day you can't shut the door properly, especially if it is only a two hinge door unit, ike the flimsy indoor things I have in this house.
Tim