ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:48 pm 

I picked up the following equipment last week for a decent price off Craigslist. Obviously, it's in need of some TLC and even in some cases modification and repair, but I think I can make it work for a while.

Powerhouse Club 1950 Bench and attached rack (Incline, Decline, Flat)
CAP Barbell
Misc Weights (2x45 2x25 4x10 2x10) not all matched pairs cry

Plans:
Convert Bench to free standing (done)

Raise the Rack ~8" so that I can also use it for Squats.

Build some Safety bars which are adjustable for Bench and Squat.

As shown, I have added a set of legs and converted it to free standing. It still has the ability to be set at incline, decline, and Flat. I also have a leg lift attachment, which is in the corner. I think it is missing a few pieces, but I'm not completely sure.

Don't worry, I won't be using the rack like shown in the pic (sitting on Bricks). This is only to test height and verify how much taller the rack needs to be. I will have to make a set of Legs/risers to this height.

At the height shown, it's just tall enough to use as a squat rack, and on the lowest setting, I can comfortably get the bar out of the rack when Flat Benching. I will lose the ability to Decline Bench though, but that doesn't really bother me at this time.

Most of the mismatched weight plates. I'm still looking for a good deal on a few more plates, especially some 45's.

Excuse the mess, I will have to reorganize the garage once I complete all the mods to the equipment.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:23 pm 

OOPS, I think I may have gotten a little carried away.

I decided it would be easier to change my design just a little bit and my 8" lift and a couple safety spotters has turned into .........

THIS.....

A Complete Power Cage.

It's still in the Build Stage and needs finish Welding, Paint, Bar Holders, a couple Plate Holders.

A few specs:
14gauge 2x4 Boxed
1/8" 2x2 Boxed Safety Bars
1/2" Round bars for Pullups and extra support
5/16" Bolts for easy adjustment

26" between the front and rear uprights
79" Total height

The Safety Bars will go down to 8" from the ground, to simulate Lifting from a floor when using less than a 45# plate. They are adjustable in 1.5" intervals

So far, I've spent way to much time working on it, but I haven't been out in the garage in a while to work like this and I really enjoy it.

Cliff